re battery .. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Cool re battery ..

I was walking by my bike this morning and I noticed the battery tender light blinking red. I checked and everything is hooked up correctly but what I found was the key was in the on position. Someone????, not me!, must have been screwing around and turned it on. I certainly would have noticed the HID light on! I'm assuming the battery is dead and that is the reason the light was blinking red. The question is will this 1 year old Odyssey battery retake a charge over night?? I just find it very hard to believe the ignition was left on ?!?!

Larry

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Re: re battery ..

My battery tender will not charge a battery that has an extremely low voltage. If your tender is similar, you will have to connect your battery to a fully charged battery and connect the tender at the same time. The tender will register the voltage from the good battery and will begin to charge your dead battery
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 5:45 pm

If the battery is below 30% the BMW battery tender won't even try to charge the battery. You'll need a true battery charger not a tender.

ODYSSEY™ Battery Charge time for 100% discharged battery (11.5 volts)

10-amp charger 20-amp charger
Model PC680 2 hours 1 hour

"Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully charged battery fully charged but cannot recharge if the ODYSSEY battery becomes discharged."

from your battery manual.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

I just went out and bought a 10 A charger will try it over night. The needle didn't even budge when I hooked it up so that doesn't look good. Battery exchange asked me to bring it in and they could try to get the charge started but I wanted to avoid taking it out of the bike if I could. I needed an actual charger for my garage anyway.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
I just went out and bought a 10 A charger will try it over night. The needle didn't even budge when I hooked it up so that doesn't look good. Battery exchange asked me to bring it in and they could try to get the charge started but I wanted to avoid taking it out of the bike if I could. I needed an actual charger for my garage anyway.
First off, what Mike says is right on. 2nd, you are on the right track with the 10 amp charger. You say the needle didn't budge That says to me that the battery isn't drawing any current at all, not good. Have you checked all your connections? Have you connected the charger directly to the battery terminals and the correct polarity, RED POS, BLACK NEG? Can you try connecting the charger to another battery, lawn tractor, car, etc. to verify that it is working properly.

Having said all this and if all else fails, pull the battery and take it to Battery Exch and see what they can do.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US-ODY-OM-009_0611.pdf (727.2 KB, 54 views)

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Well this last night before going to bed, I detached the Charger and tried reattaching the tender. This time the light stayed lit red and I assume that meant it had enough charge to now use the tender. It was on it all night and it is now 11:46 and it is still lit red. I am hoping to see a blinking green or steady green some time today. If it is still steady red tomorrow morning is it safe to assume it may not charge all the way? I have a ride on Sat!

As for the 10 amp charger, I found the same one on sale at another place for $20 less, so I returned the original one and bought the one on sale. I hope I do not need it!
Larry

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
Well this last night before going to bed, I detached the Charger and tried reattaching the tender. This time the light stayed lit red and I assume that meant it had enough charge to now use the tender. It was on it all night and it is now 11:46 and it is still lit red. I am hoping to see a blinking green or steady green some time today. If it is still steady red tomorrow morning is it safe to assume it may not charge all the way? I have a ride on Sat!

As for the 10 amp charger, I found the same one on sale at another place for $20 less, so I returned the original one and bought the one on sale. I hope I do not need it!
Larry
Hi Larry,

The following is from the manual for the Odyssey:
"To get long life from the ODYSSEY battery, it is important that the battery is kept near full charge, approximately 12.8 volts. If there are electrical loads during storage, then the negative battery cable should be disconnected or an independent float charger used. Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully charged battery fully charged but cannot recharge if the ODYSSEY battery becomes discharged."

I believe you don't want to use the "battery tender" as a charger when the battery is very low or drained. The attached manual that within this link provides some very good information about your battery. The 2+ amp charger is a good thing to have in the garage for sure.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 5:25 pm

You definitely need a high power charger or a pulse charger BUT your 10A cheapy is very likely not to get the job done. You need to ram some higher voltage at that thing intially to wake it up and the usual cheapies are meant for FLA batteries, not AGMs so won't do it.
I happen to have an antique 10A transformer cheapie that will wake up an AGM (used routinely in my track car, for example) but its designed for the days of maintenance free batteries with calcium in the plates so runs at a higher voltage (and has to be watched carefully so it doesnt fry an AGM because its auto-shutoff is wrong for an AGM battery)
Otherwise, the latest pulse/multiphase chargers (Xtreme and others) can do a remarkable job of recovering dead stuff- I just used a 3A Xtreme to recover a stone dead car battery (FLA) that wouldn't even put a glow in the dome lamp or click/light anything- but it took almost 3 days on the charger. My 10A older transformer charger had previously failed to recover the battery, only heating it without charging it. Odysseys don't permanently sulfate easily so with a right charger and some patience you ought to be able to recover it. I've recovered badly discharged ones many many times.

DO NOT routinely leave a cheapy transformer charger hooked to an Odyssey- anything not expressly made for an AGM will cause the battery to evap its internal water and end up dead if you leave it on too long. All really good chargers I know for AGMs are electronics based multiphase chargers, not antique transformer types.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: re battery ..

I didn't buy a 10A CHEAPIE. I bought a quality Schumacher Signature Series 10A that also 50A jump starting capabilities. It was about $72. To me that is not cheap! The tender light is still red at 4:19 and when I disconnect the tender and try to start it, it starts just fine. I assume the tender is simply slowly bringing it up to full charge now.
Correct assumption??
Larry

edit: I just checked it and it is glowing a very pretty green. Yeah!

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in