Found Odyssey PC680 For $117.99 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2011, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Found Odyssey PC680 For $117.99

My current PC680 Battery is dying. Had it about 4 years. Was hoping for a little better life. Will try again. Been looking for a deal on a new one and found this site. Includes Free shipping and no handling charges.

Researched the site a little and seemed to be well regarded in the car customizing circles. Will update this site with how they do.

http://vr-speed.com/store/odyssey-ha...80-p-1128.html

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Last edited by sprdoorman; Jul 7th, 2011 at 4:35 pm. Reason: mis-spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 7:58 am

Re: Found Odyssey PC680 For $117.99

That sounds like a good deal Carl. Have you load tested your PC680? I am over 5 years on mine with no problems. I NEVER use a tender! I occasionally put a 6amp charger on it in the winter for a couple of hours. Go to enersys web site and down load their maintenance instructions on the batteries. Very interesting and some information contrary to what a lot of people think about AGM batteries. Also, they have a very good smart 3 level charger.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Garage

Might pay just to double check the build date on the batteries in question so that you dont end up with a new battery that is already 2 years old.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 9:00 am

"Unlike conventional batteries that require a recharge every six to twelve weeks, the ODYSSEY battery can be stored for up to two years at 25C (77F) from a fully charged state. These batteries can be stored for two years or when the open circuit voltage (OCV) drops to 12.00V, whichever comes first."

12 Year design life and 6 to 10 year service life, and besides - just about ANY internet site is not going to be physically ordering heavy batteries and incur the expense of shipping, inventory and especially storage. It will most likely be drop shipped directly from an Enersys warehouse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 9th, 2011 at 9:16 am.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
That sounds like a good deal Carl. Have you load tested your PC680? I am over 5 years on mine with no problems. I NEVER use a tender! I occasionally put a 6amp charger on it in the winter for a couple of hours. Go to enersys web site and down load their maintenance instructions on the batteries. Very interesting and some information contrary to what a lot of people think about AGM batteries. Also, they have a very good smart 3 level charger.
Excellent advice - many times they can be "revived" unlike typical lead acid types which sulfate. I've killed mine a couple of times and brought it back to life - going on seven years and now living off daily life support in the form of a Yuasa smart charger - even though it is not on their "approved" list - and why would they "approve" something made by one of their biggest competitors?

"To fully charge a battery that is routinely discharged deeply, a minimum of 40 amps are required with
charger voltage within the range of 14.1V to 14.7V. It is imperative not to exceed 15.0V as this will cause the
pressure valves to open and out-gas hydrogen, oxygen and water from inside the battery. This will shorten the life
of the battery and cause premature failure. Some portable chargers exceed 15.0V, especially two-wheel garage
chargers, so charging voltages should be verified by measuring the charging voltage during the time when the
charging amperage is reducing from full output. The deep cycle charging voltage must be within 14.1V minimum to
14.7V maximum.
If a standard automotive charger is used to boost charge a discharged battery because of an accessory left on, it is
important to make sure the charging voltage does not exceed 15 volts during charge. A hand held voltmeter can be
used to monitor this periodically. The following chart provides recharge times under this type of boost charging to
an 80-95% recharge and then allows the vehicle charging system to complete the charge."

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 9th, 2011 at 9:17 am.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
I was on a camping trip a couple of weeks ago and after the bike sat for 1 night without being on a charger, it would not start. Had to get a jump in order to leave the campsite. I always keep the bike plugged into a BMW battery charger when its in my garage. Got that advice from this board when the bike was new and the original battery would go dead after leaving it off the charger for a about 5-6 days. Was told that the alarm system and some other electronics are always sucking some power, so it was best to keep it plugged in when idle in the garage for more than a couple of nights. Should probably try to track down what is sucking the power, but just never got around to it.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Will update this site with how they do.

http://vr-speed.com/store/odyssey-ha...80-p-1128.html
Well all went well. Battery was delivered today.Kept me up to date with order acknowledgement and notice when it was shipped. Correct battery with a manufacture date of June 2011. Drop shipped from the factory, but that's fine with me - No shipping charge, handling charge or sales tax.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in