Starter Relay Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Starter Relay Problems

About 6 Months ago I had the starter relay replaced on my 2002 K1200LT Trike. It was not cheap. They put in a kit with the newer style starter relay. Well I am having the same problem. The bike won't start. All I hear is a light click from what I assume is the starter relay. The bike was stored in the garage for about 2 months (Due to illness). I had an automatic trickle charger on the 6 month old Gel Cell Battery. When I measure the voltage of the battery, It shows 12.6 before turning on the ignition. With the ignition on (Including the lights), the voltage drops to a little over 11 volts. Then hitting the starter button makes no difference in the Voltage.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Re: Starter Relay Problems

Me thinks you need a new battery. I'm pretty sure its supposed to be about 13.2 or so. The gurus will confirm or deny.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 3:07 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richco
About 6 Months ago I had the starter relay replaced on my 2002 K1200LT Trike. It was not cheap. They put in a kit with the newer style starter relay. Well I am having the same problem. The bike won't start. All I hear is a light click from what I assume is the starter relay. The bike was stored in the garage for about 2 months (Due to illness). I had an automatic trickle charger on the 6 month old Gel Cell Battery. When I measure the voltage of the battery, It shows 12.6 before turning on the ignition. With the ignition on (Including the lights), the voltage drops to a little over 11 volts. Then hitting the starter button makes no difference in the Voltage.

Any ideas?

Try jumping the battery to be sure, if the voltage is low the relay will not pick. If the relay is bad again it should all be under warranty.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Richo,

Don't know if this helps much but mine measures 13.5 key off and 11.8 key on. It's an 2005. I would try a full overnight charge, not the trickle charger and try again.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Richo,

Don't know if this helps much but mine measures 13.5 key off and 11.8 key on. It's an 2005. I would try a full overnight charge, not the trickle charger and try again.
Yours is also marginal.

The, not fresh off a charger, sit over night, terminal voltage on a good fully charged 12V battery should be around 12.6 to 12.8 volts. With the key on it should not drop below 12.5. The voltage sensitive relay will not engage below 11.2 volts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 26th, 2011, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Good News.....

It was the Battery. I replaced it with a temporary battery and the bike started.

Now at my leisure, I will look for a permanent battery. I am thinking of the new Lithium battery. Has anyone had experience with it? At a little under $200, it's not cheap. I did see a demonstration on Utube, where a harley was cranked for almost 2 minutes. They had to stop because the starter motor was getting fried.

Thanks all for the help.....

Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in