Battery Life - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Battery Life

I know it depends upon several variables, not the least of which are outside temperatures, load generally placed on it, charging cycles, etc., but what sort of life on average should one expect to get from the Odyssey PC 680?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 7:42 pm

I've had my 680 for about 2 years and it's doing fine. Best of all it does'nt seem to self discharge like the BMW flooded cell batteries. I trust others will report longer life.

Jerry Miller
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
I know it depends upon several variables, not the least of which are outside temperatures, load generally placed on it, charging cycles, etc., but what sort of life on average should one expect to get from the Odyssey PC 680?
LONG! I had one in my bike for about 2 1/2 years, thought it may be weakening a little and I was heading out on a trip, so I bought a new one. There was little difference when I put the new one in, so I was just imagining things.

That removed battery sat on my garage floor for several months, when one day my lawn tractor battery died. Just for the heck of it, I put the Odyssey in it, uncharged, and it started the tractor like it was new.

Just today, my son in law used the tractor, and after many weeks of sitting idle, still never charged, the tractor started just fine, even took 30-40 seconds of cranking to start it.

I am SOLD on Odyssey batteries now! No standard wet lead acid battery would sit around like that and still have good cranking power.

Also, I NEVER used a battery charger of any kind on my LT. With an Odyssey they ARE NOT NEEDED!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Toad's Odyssey is about 5 years old - never a problem on starting. Normal scoot usage for a '99 (107K miles), butt I do throw a Battery Tender on it now and then - I've never seen it below 12.4v. I have an i4c voltage display thangie on the dash so that I know the Odyssey's situation anytime I'm around Toad.

BTW - seems like I remember reading somewhere (ad copy, or vendor's webpage) that the battery is touted to have a service life of 10 years, with normal 'abuse'!!

And, FWIW - a friend of mine's LT had been in Houston for 6 or 7 weeks, having some work done on it. No one thought to charge the battery during that time, and when we went to retrieve it coupla dayz ago, it had 'no' life - no lights, no starter, nada. The dealership jumped it with a shop machine and it wuz left running in the parking lot for about 10-15 minutes. We left the dealership and immediately stopped to fill up. He has to remove the key to open the gas tank and after the fill-up, hit the starter and it fired up like a brand new battery. That meant that on the way home, necessary stops, and lunch, weren't gonna be a problem getting back on the road.
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys. That's about what I expected too. I've had mine about 2 1/2 years, and like David I am "imagining" that it is starting to go. It's been bulletproof since I put it in, but I started noticing yesterday the backlighting on the Nav II flickering on and off when at a stop light at idle, and although it could be the GPS, I'm thinking voltage. To reinforce that notion, after taking off and getting the revs up, the problem with the backlighting goes away. Probably should put this in another forum, but has anyone noticed this issue with the Nav II/2610?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 9:20 am

Once I had a problem that was similar, found it was the connection from the dash alternator light to the rear of the alternator. If this is loose, or had come off, the alternator may or may not start charging.

Get a light and look down in front of the battery holder, and you will be able to see the connector. It is the small wire, pushed onto the "Fast=on" connector on the rear of the alternator. Turn the ignition on (don't start the bike), be sure the alternator light is on, then wiggle the wire while watching the light. If it flashes or goes off, you need to remove the connector and squeeze it together a little to tighten it. I ended up cutting mine off and using an insulated 1/4" Fast-on connector to replace it.

The key to knowing if this is a problem is always be sure the alternator light comes on before starting the engine.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 4:00 am

Gentlemen,

Time for a new battery for the "Enterprise", I assume from your posts that the Odyssey PC 680 is the best model to get? (not knowing anything about Odyssey batteries....)

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
Gentlemen,

Time for a new battery for the "Enterprise", I assume from your posts that the Odyssey PC 680 is the best model to get? (not knowing anything about Odyssey batteries....)
Daz,
I've had great service out of my Panasonic LC-X1220P batteries. I replace them every 4 years just because.
Go to www.Digikey.com, print the order form and mail a check with your order. They will ship the battery free. $44.68
It is a 20AH battery with at least 275 CCA which is quite a bit 'healthier' than the Odyssey's which are 16AH and 220CCA.

Mick
Tucson
"Old and Slow" Sorta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in