Digital Volt Meter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Digital Volt Meter

Have looked all over the place and finally figure that maybe I'm just blind after all. I want to find a digital VoltMeter that will give me readings between 9 and 16 volts. Got to be able to see actual numbers.....not just an arrow or a light somewhere between 12 and 14V. I'd like to hook it to the battery and get a real reading of what the charging rate is while I'm out on the road. I've been using the reading on my Garmin, but it's really freaking me out with readings that are showing 10.7(at the low end...while idling) to only 12.4 while running at speed. (It's wired thru a Centech fuse block). But I can connect a DC volt meter directly to the battery and it shows 13.8 to 14.1 while on the road (I don't remember what it shows at idle), Can somebody point a finger in the right direction here?

TIA
Pat.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Digital Volt Meter

Have looked all over the place and finally figure that maybe I'm just blind after all. I want to find a digital VoltMeter that will give me readings between 9 and 16 volts. Got to be able to see actual numbers.....not just an arrow or a light somewhere between 12 and 14V. I'd like to hook it to the battery and get a real reading of what the charging rate is while I'm out on the road. I've been using the reading on my Garmin, but it's really freaking me out with readings that are showing 10.7(at the low end...while idling) to only 12.4 while running at speed. (It's wired thru a Centech fuse block). But I can connect a DC volt meter directly to the battery and it shows 13.8 to 14.1 while on the road (I don't remember what it shows at idle), Can somebody point a finger in the right direction here?

TIA
Pat

363K on BMW's
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 4:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Digital Volt Meter

One little trick I have learned. After a new post go back and look at it and then check the links at the bottom of the page. You will find good info in the middle one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Smile Re: Digital Volt Meter

Charge Guard makes a great unit, I have had on on both my LT's and now GSA. https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=5
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON

TIA
Pat.
I installed the Datel Meter.. a little over an inch by 3/4 and nice bright RED.. here is a link.. http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/...nfig=ent-datel I like the visibility, but might be a bit bright to some folks at night as it does not dim.. Better be there than not tho !!!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 7:46 pm

This is the thread with most of what you are looking for:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21335

I used the same one too. I lowered the alarm light abd cut out a small hole. Glued the bezel on. I can't remember though, what it is wired to, but I can check the voltage when the key is in th first position and then all the way on for the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw volt ohm meter 003.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	29911   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04459.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	29912  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Dec 19th, 2010 at 7:56 pm. Reason: better picture
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

I'll be dipped.............thanks John I never noticed that before............you too Dano, I now have one (w/bezel, on order. When my wife see how much I spent tonight......I'm thinkin it's gonna be "let it be one of my Christmas presents honey!" After all, I did manage to save enough to buy her one of those Nook Book things.........

Thanks again you guys.

Pat

363K on BMW's
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys......by the time I came to your two posts, I had an answer from John and Dano and now have the Datel Meter on order.................while the ChargeGuard looked really cool with the 3 other display options, it was way, way more than my "unemployed, retired military" paycheck would allow...........at the lower cost, I'll be one smiling guy now...........

Thanks again
Pat

363K on BMW's
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 5th, 2011, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Lordy lordy lordy.......'tis been a bit better than 2 weeks now, and still noooooo meter. Sent an email back to the company (sales) Monday.....and didn't hear anything......sent another on Tuesday and got a note back that the thing was "out of stock" and that they had shipped it Monday........uh huh........right. Soooooo you guys, if you don't get a UPS tracking number within a day or two, holler and find out what's going on. Honestly, I think if I let it slide for another month....I still wouldn't have heard from them. You can bet if I was in any business during these times I'd for sure go a bit beyond to get and keep ANY customers................

Really disappointed.......
Pat

363K on BMW's
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:46 am

Take a look a the Battery Bug motorcycle model. About $50 and a very easy install compared to the datel.

Its a digital voltmeter which also stores a "%" reading for last start plus it has alarms built in.

Neat little piece but a few more $
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 6th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
Take a look a the Battery Bug motorcycle model. About $50 and a very easy install compared to the datel.

Its a digital voltmeter which also stores a "%" reading for last start plus it has alarms built in.

Neat little piece but a few more $
+1 Ordered a Battery Bug yesterday.
http://www.amazon.com/Argus-BB-SBM12...=pd_sim_auto_2
Looks like a pretty trick little device.
Putting it on my Suzuki DR650 which is electrically challenged (small output stator).

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

Thanks for the tip! I got the Battery Bug from Amazon and it looks great. I like the fact that you could even hide it and it will alarm if anything is wrong. Nice design, big display.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 7:57 am

FWIW, I just received a digital VM, 4 weeks after I ordered & paid for it on Ebay. My fault, I didn't notice that it was coming from CHINA Had I seen that in the first place, I would have searched further for a supplier in the U.S. even though, I am sure they all originate in China. Prolly DATEL gets their units from China as well. I sure hate the way the world is today, but like all things, "this too shall change"!

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in