Odyssey Battery and Battery Tender JR. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Odyssey Battery and Battery Tender JR.

I just installed an Odyssey battery last week so I was very interested in the article in the June Issue of BMW ON by David Hough about Battery Care. Based on what I read, I think that my old Battery Tender Junior won't work on the Odyssey battery.

http://digital.turn-page.com/title/4865

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Re: Odyssey Battery and Battery Tender JR.

It will work...for a while...just age the battery and/or give you less than full capacity.

If you can get a gel specific in the next couple of weeks, you should be ok..

While you are "considering" this problem, note that there is no "special" charging circuit on the BIKE!!!! it's a regular alternator, etc..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Talking Re: Odyssey Battery and Battery Tender JR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee
I just installed an Odyssey battery last week so I was very interested in the article in the June Issue of BMW ON by David Hough about Battery Care. Based on what I read, I think that my old Battery Tender Junior won't work on the Odyssey battery.

http://digital.turn-page.com/title/4865
Well whatever you do, please don't tell my Bike! I have been maintaining my Odyssey on my LT with a Battery Tender Jr. for about two years now with no problem! For the four or five years prior to that I had been using the regular Battery Tender, also with zero probs!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Wink Re: Odyssey Battery and Battery Tender JR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
It will work...for a while...just age the battery and/or give you less than full capacity.

If you can get a gel specific in the next couple of weeks, you should be ok..

While you are "considering" this problem, note that there is no "special" charging circuit on the BIKE!!!! it's a regular alternator, etc..
I'm pretty sure that it would make no sense to get a Gel specific type charger for an AGM type battery, which the Odyssey is. Unless things have changed recently.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Using a Jr. with my Odyssey for 5 years now ... no problems here either.

** The Odyssey is a DRY cell type battery

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear that in real world applications people do use the Tender Jr with the Odyssey AGM battery. I guess there is no need for me to rush out and replace the Jr at this time.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm

I am getting

ACI 3 Amp Plus Charger 1206CC $54.95

for my PC680 which is recommended by Odyssey.

From

http://www.batterycentralmall.com/Chargers/ACI/ACI.html

These are chargers have the required electrical charge profile for AGM batteries and they reduce sulphation during the charging cycle thus prolonging battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee
I'm glad to hear that in real world applications people do use the Tender Jr with the Odyssey AGM battery. I guess there is no need for me to rush out and replace the Jr at this time.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Last edited by MattKas; Jun 8th, 2010 at 5:30 pm. Reason: edit
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If I recall from previous post here, the key to longevity in the 680 is the initial charge. 10 amps for 2 hours to fully charge the Odyssey.

Motor On ,/'

post #9 of 15 Old Jun 8th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Hi John,

To drive the current you need to have higher voltage too. Usually 14.7Volts

For Odyssey Battery charging
Cyclic voltage: 14.4V to 15.0V at 25C (77F); no current limit

Minimum current for PC680 charging is 6AMP (Taper charge) per Odyssey.

ACI 3 AMP Constant current charger is equivalent to Conventional 6AMP Taper Chargers per ACI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
If I recall from previous post here, the key to longevity in the 680 is the initial charge. 10 amps for 2 hours to fully charge the Odyssey.

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 7:30 am

I bought the Odyssey battery charger along with my battery when I bought mine a couple of years ago. Then when I needed a second charger for my son's bike I found this one:

http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...tName=94026842

When I compared the printed material that came with the charger, is is nearly Identical to the Odyssey one at a fraction of the cost.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 8:57 am

I use the Yuasa charger which is like the Jr. It puts out a whopping 0.9 amps to charge and then goes in float mode. It has worked well for my three or four year old battery.
Do I need to replace it to a bigger charger?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 9:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I use the Yuasa charger which is like the Jr. It puts out a whopping 0.9 amps to charge and then goes in float mode. It has worked well for my three or four year old battery.
No. The biggest you should use would be a 2 amp. you are fine (the charger that is)

dan
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 10th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Odyssey recommended minimum of 6AMP charger (Taper) for PC680.
0.9AMP charger would probably keep it not to be discharged but you can not fully charge PC680 with 0.9AMP charger especially if you are not hitting as high as 14.7 volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #14 of 15 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 7:02 am

Question Re: Odyssey Battery and Battery Tender JR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
Odyssey recommended minimum of 6AMP charger (Taper) for PC680. 0.9AMP charger would probably keep it not to be discharged but you can not fully charge PC680 with 0.9AMP charger especially if you are not hitting as high as 14.7 volts.
This is not completely true. The ODYSSEYowner's manual specifically states;
"Chargers listed on our website at are specifically designed for ODYSSEY batteries that are routinely deeply discharged."

So, unless there's a problem with the bike, our batteries would not fall in the "routinely deeply discharged" category.

Additionally, the Odyssey manual says;
To get long life from the ODYSSEY battery, it is important that the battery is kept near full charge, approximately 12.8 volts. If there are electrical loads during storage, then the negative battery cable should be disconnected or an independent float charger used. Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully charged battery fully charged but cannot recharge if the ODYSSEY battery becomes discharged.

In short, ODYSSEY says that a low power (2 amp) charger can indeed be used to maintain a charge....but not for recharging a flat battery. Given that, it could be argued that the Battery-Tender, Battery Tender JR (or similar products) might not be sufficient, since they typically do not output 2amps, but rather output in the amp range of .75 to 1.25'ish. However, it does make me wonder if Odyssey's 2amp statement is more of a ballpark figure, rather an precise minimum threshold for amperage.

Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 9:14 am

I'll look again but I think I am somewhere between 13.2-13.7 after the green light comes on.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in