batteries - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:29 am Thread Starter

batteries

I have 2005 LT. Any one have any luck with a particular brand battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 7:42 am

Re: batteries

Hey, MC - you probably do not realize that you are starting another religious war here. Tires, oils and batteries: people are ready to brandish their torches and pitchforks to defend their opinions!

I am sure a lot of others will chime in here (Odyssey seems to be a popular after-market brand).

Here is my out-of-the-beaten-path take: as far as proper motorcycle-type batteries go, I am having a good experience with Westco. I use that brand on my GS; the battery is purchased from Beemer Boneyard (by the way, as an LT owner, you should know of BB - good people for maintenance parts, like filters, oil, sparkplugs).

Now, on my touring bikes (K12RS, two LT's) I have been using industrial gel cells for many years. These last about 3 seasons for me and are quite inexpensive. I started with Panasonic LX-X1220P batteries from DigiKey, but now their shipping is very expensive and recently I installed a PowerSonic PSH-1218NB.

Food for thought, works for me - Your Mileage May Vary.

Regards.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Mar 1st, 2010 at 7:58 am.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 8:28 am

Make sure you replacement is a Gel and has the same (or better) rating than the original.

When mine went, I just went to the local "Batteries Plus". Looked at the Odyssey, but they were sure PROUD of that one. They got me a different one (forgot the name--too lazy to look ). Its been 2 seasons so far.

YMMV

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 10:39 am Thread Starter

thx... the dealer i use sells westco too. they said it was better than oem.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 5:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't belive they have to be replaced with a Gel Cell battery. AGM ( I belive stands for Absorbed Glass Matt) work as well and I don't belive they must have a special charger as Gel cells do. Someone correct if I'm wrong here.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
I don't belive they have to be replaced with a Gel Cell battery. AGM ( I belive stands for Absorbed Glass Matt) work as well and I don't belive they must have a special charger as Gel cells do. Someone correct if I'm wrong here.
Doug, you are correct, a gel battery is not needed as they do require a charger that is equipped for gel batteries as they have to have a lower finish rate, thusly 1/2 of a volt lower end DC Voltage (and yes, that makes a big difference)

An AGM does stand for Absorbed Glass Mat and since the charging profile is very very close to a flooded battery, no special charger is required.

To get back to mchammer's original post, unless you have money to burn, buy the gel. Gel batteries are good for certain applications, LT's aren't one of them! I currently have a PC-680 and I haven't been too-pleased with it, but I may stick with it due to limited resources and brands, or I may try the SLA (sealed lead-acid) rechargeable PSH1218NB; what stands for it is a 12-volt, 18 Ah capacity battery with nut and bolt terminals. Powersonic batteries are good batteries but are primarily used as emergency lighting and UPS back-up batteries.

I hope this helps clear the air!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:29 pm

So speaks the battery man!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 8:34 pm

Well....I'm no expert ...but...I bought a WestCo 12v,20p a few years ago and have not had a problem. Used them in other bikes with no problems.
The best part is you can buy one for under $100.00...shipped from one of the site sponsors...BeemerBoneYard. They support us........I Try to support them when I can.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
So speaks the battery man!
Speaketh I do; and sometimes too much

YEP!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 12 Old Mar 27th, 2010, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
..., unless you have money to burn, buy the gel. Gel batteries are good for certain applications, LT's aren't one of them! I currently have a PC-680 and I haven't been too-pleased with it,...

So if I might ask, just what don't you like about the PC-680? Thanks.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 6:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
My question also. I found the PC680 to be the best battery I ever tried. I had it in the bike for probably 50K miles, thought it was having an issue so got another one. Found it was a problem with the alternater light wire that was my issue instead. About a year later my lawn tractor battery died, thought I would see if the old Odyssey would fit, hooked it up, and tried it. To my amazement it spun the tractor faster than the original battery ever did. That was after sitting on my garage floor for a year uncharged.

I am a BIG fan of AGM batteries, and do NOT like GEL ones. I would use either Odyssey or Westco AGM in a LT now. But Odyssey batteries have sure gone up in price.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Michael, I felt that I didn't get the life-expectancy as I should have. I have properly mantained the battery and it barely made it through two riding seasons, and I even pampered it last season which was the second riding season!

I just had it replaced a few weeks ago with the same battery (????-I know) a PC-680; we'll see how this one does. If it does the same as last, this will be the last PC680.

I have checked for any voltage drops, through-put voltages, loads....all is fine.

I may have gotten an old stock battery last time, who knows! It never was a good battery, slow starting and all; hind site is 20/20, but I knew there was something not right about the battery when my dealership installed it three years ago. Oh well.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in