Batteries for the BMW K1200 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Batteries for the BMW K1200 LT

I have been doing some research for a replacement battery. Everyone seems to be having a wide range of results. My last battery was a $35 acid battery from Advance Auto Parts as a quick weekend resolution to a dead battery and has been going pretty well for more than a year. But, time to change it out to an AGM. My local battery distributor has a few really nice universals but I wasn't sure of the battery tray size and ended up finding this list. Note that the max with is 3.4 and the max length is 7.4. If these are good dimensions then the battery I am looking at will fit. Any thoughts?

I got this info on BatteryWeb.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Batteries.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	24571  

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
South Florida
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Re: Batteries for the BMW K1200 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRuest
I have been doing some research for a replacement battery. Everyone seems to be having a wide range of results. My last battery was a $35 acid battery from Advance Auto Parts as a quick weekend resolution to a dead battery and has been going pretty well for more than a year. But, time to change it out to an AGM. My local battery distributor has a few really nice universals but I wasn't sure of the battery tray size and ended up finding this list. Note that the max with is 3.4 and the max length is 7.4. If these are good dimensions then the battery I am looking at will fit. Any thoughts?

I got this info on BatteryWeb.com
Well I purchased a Panasonic AGM battery that has good reviews, price and so far has been perfect for my 05'

Here is the info:
The following order was placed with BatteryMart.com.
MAR-YTX16-BS-1
YTX16-BS-1 AGM Maintenance Free Battery $69.95

I have looked at the usual options of the Oddessy and OEM BMW batteries that were CONSIDERABLY more expensive and actually had a bit less capacity ! The only thing I did was enlarge the hole a little on one terminal for the factory screw to fit, but not a problem at all !! Give this one a look and I bet you will be happy with it.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:14 am

Garage

FWIW...I have the Odessy and am happy with its performance. 2+ years and still holding 14A...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:16 am

Oddessy is the best you can buy in my opinion. OEM lasted 30k Oddessy that replaced it now has 75k and has been completely dead twice. Overnight charge ready to go....

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #5 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 3:47 am

Here is a bit of news on my situation..
Two years and two months ago I replaced my BMW 'gel' battery, (it was becoming a bit sluggish).
The replacement unit from a discount battery retailer for around $100 au, this battery performed well until last weekend when I went to 'brush off a bit of corrosion and the whole earth terminal fell away from the battery..
Now here is the interesting bit, being a weekend, I dug out the old 'gel' battery, put it on the charger for a couple of hours and then fired the bike up.
All is well but have since replaced with a new unit..
The new unit cost me $108.00 au (wet battery) compared to a 'gel' unit for $280.00 au.. Hard to justify the price differential...
post #6 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 4:05 am

I would go with the Westco 12V20P. It has a 22AH rating. This will spin the LT's motor with no problems. I did have a Odyssey but noticed that it spun the motor slower than the stock battery.
Just my $.02.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 5:36 am

I killed my first BMW battery (probably because I didn't have an optimate and didn't know about the impotence of leaving the bike in the 'locked' position)
Bought an Odessy and and optimate that did the job for ages.
Then I somehow killed the bike (wouldn't start) and the bike went to BMW (one of the last times I trusted them with it)
They replaced the battery with a BMW one and I demanded my Odessy back.
I keep the bike on charge unless touring and have waited for the BMW battery to die, but it has survived me leaving the lights on twice and really draining the battery. The Odessy charges, but never reads fully charged on the optimate.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 5:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I would go with the Westco 12V20P. It has a 22AH rating. This will spin the LT's motor with no problems. I did have a Odyssey but noticed that it spun the motor slower than the stock battery.
Just my $.02.
i second the westco ,,when i needed a battery i ordered it on mon. showed up wed.
post #9 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 6:07 am

Cook1e,
Hadn't heard about keeping the bike in "locked" posistion. What's up with that? I assume it's leaving some circuits on???
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 7:12 am

If the steering lock is on then all non-essential circuits are switched off, although there is still a slight drain - for items like the alarm, if fitted. The light in the top-box/trunk is switched off, for example, as is the rear accessory socket as well as the more-obvious radio system. Beware of going into the parking-light position as this will flatten the battery within eight hours, as I found when I came out of work one day. I got a jump-start and the gel battery recovered without a problem, is still in place and working fine.

I put my bike on charge if I haven't ridden it for a week or so. I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary but I'm a belt-and-braces man!

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #11 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 7:13 am Thread Starter

Garage

I'm hoping someone could tell me the actual size of the battery tray. My bike has been in the shop for the past week and I expect it to be there at least another so I can't measure it myself so I was hoping someone could give me the dimensions so I could pick up this battery while I am waiting to get it out of the shop.

I tore the center stand off after hitting something on the highway and it damaged the transmission. I'm having the the transmission and clutch replaced by the dealer. Got the tranny from ebay and now waiting on clutch parts to be ordered. Haven't ridden in 4 weeks. I'm going crazy. Maybe buying a new battery will at least keep me busy.

Norm

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 8:07 am

Yep, like Rockdoc says, it switches off the electrics. I am thinking of removing the parking light as it is so easy to switch that on by mistake. Does anyone know if the sidelight circuit uses loads of power apart from the bulb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Cook1e,
Hadn't heard about keeping the bike in "locked" posistion. What's up with that? I assume it's leaving some circuits on???

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #13 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 8:49 am

Here is an interesting one from Diversified Batteries; Powerstar PS-680 which purports to be an Odyssey clone for 42.00. Has anyone tried this?
post #14 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 2:12 pm

If you find the answer I am going to have to avoid the temptation to look at the answer. I ended up taking mine back to the dealer for a new BMW gel battery. It spins up nicely now but I paid the most I have ever paid for a battery.

I was a little concerned about mating my BMW charger to an aftermarket replacement battery and yes, I know the charger is just a repackaged Battery Tender.

Time is money, too and having it swapped out at the dealer saved me some time.
post #15 of 15 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Quote:

Here is an interesting one from Diversified Batteries; Powerstar PS-680 which purports to be an Odyssey clone for 42.00. Has anyone tried this?
I think that's the last battery I put in My LT before I sold it. I fairly certain it's the exact same battery as the Panasonic and Westco which is a relabled panasonic.

Was going on three years old and was working just fine.

Got mine at the local battery warehouse. I think it was 36.00 or something like that.

I think the biggest difference between the most expensive and least expensive it the ability to recover from stupid mistakes. Letting it run flat, etc... If you keep it charged and don't abuse it too much the less expensive battery will be just fine.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in