Finally adding an Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel - Centech - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Finally adding an Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel - Centech

I have been putting this off for about 4-5 years and it is way past time..... Too many wires on my battery. Any hints or suggestions before I rewire the options? Seems simple enough except for the clearance under the seat. Attached is the one I was going to go with, unless there are better ones to use. This one sells for around $50.00.

Seems I remember reading about one that cost a little more, but has switched and un-switched terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP-1.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	24359  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Re: Finally adding an Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel - Centech

Dan,
I installed the Centech AP-1 & managed to squeeze it in below the pre-load adjuster & held in place using velcro. i used some extra wire length to allow to get it out of the way when required.

There is also this unit that looks very good. http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Sep 4th, 2009, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
Dan,
I installed the Centech AP-1 & managed to squeeze it in below the pre-load adjuster & held in place using velcro. i used some extra wire length to allow to get it out of the way when required.

There is also this unit that looks very good. http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Phil,

Yes, the Fuseblocks.com was what I was thinking about with it's built in relay. It has 6 inputs though vs. the 8 of the Centech. Both look good.

From a Search - From Hans: ( I like this, under the passinger seat with a lot more room)

All of my fuses and relays are under the passenger seat, two allen screws and the seat is of, putting all of your wires inside a split plastic harness is good advice but you don't need to route everything under the gas tank, there is a lot of room under the left side of your stingray that's where a lot of the factory wiring and plugins are. (you will have to remove the left side tupperware to access it)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 12:23 am

As usual I went the opposite way LOL
Seeing as how nearly all my accessories are up front, I ran a single larger gauge wire up to the nose where I distributed the power... Yes, I will have to remove the nose should I ever need to replace a fuse but I only have one wire running up there to numerous accessories including my lighting.
In addition with less of that smaller gauge wire running around... the likeliness of a fuse blowing is lower....
I suppose there is nothing I couldn't live without for a few minutes work as well....

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
As usual I went the opposite way LOL
Seeing as how nearly all my accessories are up front, I ran a single larger gauge wire up to the nose where I distributed the power... Yes, I will have to remove the nose should I ever need to replace a fuse but I only have one wire running up there to numerous accessories including my lighting.
In addition with less of that smaller gauge wire running around... the likeliness of a fuse blowing is lower....
I suppose there is nothing I couldn't live without for a few minutes work as well....

I like your idea until you have a problem........

Copied from a previous question:

Re: How to remove the nose cone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim in Renton sent me a link on nosecone removal. Following is the text provided by Mark Neblett in the HOW. Raffy's suggestion in the above post about NOT having to remove the fairings should apply and save some time.

From Mark Neblett:

Let's see if I can summarize this:

1. Remove L&R upper fairing panels (including mirrors and under mirror winglets).

2. Remove windshield -- two plastic screw covers (grab insides and pull/rotate outboard until they pop! off), then remove four 3mm Allens (don't loose rubber washers between windshield and support brackets).

3. Remove dash panel
-- pry out dash light anbd remove T25 torx screw hidden behind light
-- remove four T25s around lower periphery of dash cover
-- remove two T25s (one on each side) at top of windshield arm slots
-- lift dash cover off

4. Prepare nose for removal
-- remove headlight adjuster knob -- remove phillips screw in side of knob, pull off knob, remove hex nut under and washers behind knob (remember order and orientation of pieces for reassembly), pull headlight cable shaft back through dash panel
-- disconnect headlight plug at left rear of housing (press retaining clip in and pull off)
-- disconnect air temp sensor under headlight housing
-- pull out rubber parking light bulb holder from bottom of housing
-- remove two T25 screws from each (L&R) bottom edge of the nose fairing
-- remove two 4 mm Allen-headed mirror mounting studs from each (L&R) side of the nose fairing

5. Remove nose fairing
-- remove last T25 screw at top front center of the nose (normally hidden by the dash cover) -- HOLD/SUPPORT the nose!
-- standing directly in front of the nose, slowly draw the fairing straight forward, while helping guide the headlight adjuster cable out of its S-shaped path from dash to headlight. Remember the path for reinstallation.
-- have a soft towel read to set the fairing down on to avoid scratches

Reinstallation is the reverse of removal

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Hey dan
That looks like a nice fuse block, on my 2002 LT I installed a Blue Sea fuse block (Marine supply store)
they come in a six and twelve fuse size. I went for the big one and never got to use all the spaces.

One thing I would like to recommend,
since you're going to have to run a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block,
spend a couple more bucks and install a main fuse before the fuse block,
when I lift my front seat the main fuse sticks out from just under the back seat
and by pulling this fuse I disconnect all of my accessories, farkles and auxiliary lights,
it's been very useful a couple of times already.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I have been putting this off for about 4-5 years and it is way past time..... Too many wires on my battery. Any hints or suggestions before I rewire the options? Seems simple enough except for the clearance under the seat. Attached is the one I was going to go with, unless there are better ones to use. This one sells for around $50.00.

Seems I remember reading about one that cost a little more, but has switched and un-switched terminals.
EZY Mount makes a pre-wired kit with a relay already wired... Think all you have to do is run the Pos and Neg to the battery and you're done.

Comes with directions as to where best to mount it for your bike etc..

Wa going to buy one myself but already spent the money for the AP1 and the Relay and muddled through by myself. May go back to him for the Nautilus horn though.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Hey dan
That looks like a nice fuse block, on my 2002 LT I installed a Blue Sea fuse block (Marine supply store)
they come in a six and twelve fuse size. I went for the big one and never got to use all the spaces.

One thing I would like to recommend,
since you're going to have to run a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block,
spend a couple more bucks and install a main fuse before the fuse block,
when I lift my front seat the main fuse sticks out from just under the back seat
and by pulling this fuse I disconnect all of my accessories, farkles and auxiliary lights,
it's been very useful a couple of times already.
That just sounds like "a solution looking for a problem"
Just giving you sh1t
With all due respect to your gray haired...ness....
No seriously... no disrespect intended... I honestly look at all mods as adding a potential problem....

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 9th, 2009, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
That just sounds like "a solution looking for a problem"
Just giving you sh1t
With all due respect to your gray haired...ness....
No seriously... no disrespect intended... I honestly look at all mods as adding a potential problem....
That's alright, I "dish out" a fair amount of sarcasm on this forum,
so I better be able to take some.

I assume you're referring to my comments regarding the external fuel filter mod.

Whenever I consider a modification I usually factor in that the BMW engineers are a lot smarter than I am
and have a lot more resources.

Over the years I've learned that when they do something
(even though it might not make any sense to me)
they have a reason and have thought it out very well.

Adding an additional fuse is not only a convenience, it is also another safeguard,
kinda like leaving a high pressure fuel line and filter inside the tank.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in