Voltmeter? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Question Voltmeter?

I had a gas pump malfunction the other day while gassing up and accidentally splashed gas on my i4C voltmeter, which I've been using for about nine years. The day after the spash, I noticed my meter registering 1-2 volts low. Fearing a weakened battery (within a week of my ride to the BMWMOA International in Johnson City), I replaced my 5-year-old Odyssey battery. Same result....an indicated low voltage of 10.9 - 11.3 volts...even though the bike fires up just fine.

I'm thinking the gas corroded something or even penetrated the i4C housing, giving me false readings now on the meter.

i4C seems to be out of business. I really liked the fact that the meter drew so little current that I could hook it up directly to the battery and have is on all the time. It gave me a "resting" voltage reading that gave me a heads up before I switched on the ignition.

Anyone know of a worthy replacement for the c-volt meter that would accurately show a resting voltage?

Thanks!

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 K1200LTI
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wrecked at 91k miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Voltmeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrstraw
I had a gas pump malfunction the other day while gassing up and accidentally splashed gas on my i4C voltmeter, which I've been using for about nine years. The day after the spash, I noticed my meter registering 1-2 volts low. Fearing a weakened battery (within a week of my ride to the BMWMOA International in Johnson City), I replaced my 5-year-old Odyssey battery. Same result....an indicated low voltage of 10.9 - 11.3 volts...even though the bike fires up just fine.

I'm thinking the gas corroded something or even penetrated the i4C housing, giving me false readings now on the meter.

i4C seems to be out of business. I really liked the fact that the meter drew so little current that I could hook it up directly to the battery and have is on all the time. It gave me a "resting" voltage reading that gave me a heads up before I switched on the ignition.

Anyone know of a worthy replacement for the c-volt meter that would accurately show a resting voltage?

Thanks!
This outfit might have sumpthin' worth buying and installing, Paul. I've seen a couple of those items mentioned previously on the forums. I think Grif put one of those models on his GT, after having the i4C on the old LT and not finding it in production any longer.

I looked at my i4C meter and don't see a way of opening the thang with hopes of drying it out, or checking for corrosion. Mine has been subjected to all kinds of weather and hasn't failed yet. I wonder if you just cleaned up the feed wiring, would that maybe help?
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Last month I installed this one on my bike. Seems to do the job.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...sp?Item=BOVOLT

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, guys....

I'll take another look at the wire feeds and try to find where corrosion took over first. Then start shopping if I can't get it to behave.

Stay safe,

Paul

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #5 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 11:10 am

I agree with Dick. I have them on my both LTs and happy with them. I bought from (I actually picked them up)
http://www.digitalmeter.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
This outfit might have sumpthin' worth buying and installing, Paul. I've seen a couple of those items mentioned previously on the forums. I think Grif put one of those models on his GT, after having the i4C on the old LT and not finding it in production any longer.

I looked at my i4C meter and don't see a way of opening the thang with hopes of drying it out, or checking for corrosion. Mine has been subjected to all kinds of weather and hasn't failed yet. I wonder if you just cleaned up the feed wiring, would that maybe help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shawn-2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	23687  

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in