Electrical Gremlins-Vanity/Map lights, Wings-of-Gold, Volt Meter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Question Electrical Gremlins-Vanity/Map lights, Wings-of-Gold, Volt Meter

When I hopped on the bike to go home from work the other day, I noticed that my new digital voltmeter didn't come on when I turned the key on. When I got home, I realized that not only was the volt-meter not working, but my wings-of-gold, front map light, as well as my trunk box vanity lights weren't working either. I checked all of my fuses (not only visually, but with an ohm meter), and they're all good. Any ideas?

The wiring for both my wings-of gold and the voltmeter are both routed to my front parking/courtesy light (which still works just fine by the way). So, I'm stumped as to why my map and vanity lights have also stopped working. Have I overlooked something simple?....besides the fuses? Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Last edited by Toolman; Jun 8th, 2009 at 10:03 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:03 am

Re: Electrical Gremlins-Vanity/Map lights, Wings-of-Gold, Volt Meter

Could be the Ground you chose... I'd recheck connections.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Re: Electrical Gremlins-Vanity/Map lights, Wings-of-Gold, Volt Meter

I suppose a bad ground is always a possibility, but I soldered everything and heat shrink'd etc. I'll be investigating further tonight. Even if it is a bad ground, I can't for the life of me figure out why my map and vanity lights would also stop working? Those lights weren't messed with at all when I installed my volt-meter and wings-of-gold. Odd that all of those things just all of a sudden stop working...and no intermittent problem before-hand. I was just wondering if perhaps there was something obvious that I missed. I hate electrical problems.

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: Electrical Gremlins-Vanity/Map lights, Wings-of-Gold, Volt Meter

I finally got everything sorted, so I thought I'd close the loop on this one.
  • In terms of my volt-meter and my wings-of-gold, they were both tied into the same hot wire....coming from my parking/city light within the headlight housing. Against my better judgement, I used one of those crimp on/pinch wire tap splice connectors...never again. It was that connector which was the problem. I never have liked those things. Anyway, I removed it, and soldered everything up instead (which I should have done in the first place). Funny thing is, I soldered all of my electrical work on the most recent farkle jamboree....except for this one connection...which I made after I had re-attached the nose cone. So, figured it was easier to use one of the wire taps instead. Never again. After soldering it up this time, I weatherproofed it with liquid electrical tape, then heat shrink tubing. So all set there.
  • In terms of the map light and the trunk box vanity light....boy do I feel stupid. I had the key turned to the position where there is no power to these two lights. After I didn't find and shorts, nor any bad fuses, nor any burned out bulbs....I then checked the obvious. .....turned the key on, and they both lit up perfectly. Wow...do I feel dumb.
Happy to have it all working again. No more cheap crimp on connectors for this cowboy. Anyway, that's my story...and I'm stickin' to it!

Cheers,
Toolman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in