Batteries - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Batteries

The battery on my '05LT has died. Its on a battery tender and hope to have it soon revived. Im looking for a new battery, any suggestions for a battery and while Im at it any suggestions for a tender?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:28 pm

Re: Batteries

http://www.batterymart.com/p-schumac...p-charger.html

http://store.schumachermart.com/

above are a couple of sites for Schumacher chargers. I have one that no longer is shown on the site, nor is its capabilities: 15/2/100 amp. Both regular and deep cycle, for 6 and 12 volt. The 100 amp is for quick starting a car or truck. The 15 amp is for quick charge, and the 2 amp is for trickle charging.

If you leave your key on over night and deep dis charge your battery, a battery tender will only keep it warm...it will Never get it to a full charge. That's where a versatile charger like the above comes in handy. With a 10-15 amp charge for only as much as five minutes, you can bring the battery back to life, then get your start and ride or put it on the tender.

If you have a diesel, that 100 amp (3 second max) will make that motor hummmmm! If you have a boat or RV, the deep cycle feature is nice.

There are a jillion pure tenders, just make sure they work for the gell cells.
If you have more than one toy in the box, I'd consider a multiple outlet tender.

For a battery, I'd get an Odyssey gell cell PC80....can't remember all the numbers for an LT, but that battery will give you long life and no problems.
Search here for reference, and Goggle the hell out of it for the best price. Have it shipped to your door and save half of local pick up price.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:46 pm

Everyone seems to rave about those Odyssey batteries Jim. At over $100, they ain't cheap. But the BMW batteries ain't exactly cheap either.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 6:23 pm

I posted this yesterday for another LTer asking about batts.

"Ron spent some time collecting Bat info:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthr...ODYSSEY+battery

Out here the heat kills batts.

Unlike warming up a cold battery to get her juices flowing in the winter, we can't cool 'em down to revive them."

I've used,for years now, a battery tender that I bought on line for around $19.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Everyone seems to rave about those Odyssey batteries Jim. At over $100, they ain't cheap. But the BMW batteries ain't exactly cheap either.
I have an Odyssey in mine, came in the bike when I bought it used. The previous owner says it was the best he could buy. So far it has been great for me. Last winter I never removed it from bike and never had a battery minder on it as I had to store the bike where I had no power...had to boost bike to start in the spring, but battery has performed A-1 and now with infrequent use, 2-3 weeks between starts and -2 to -5 C temperatures, the bike still starts (albeit a bit slow turnover). I highly recommend this battery so far. It seems to hold a charge for a long time despite cold temps, not many charging runs, and infreqent charges.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:21 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I just replaced the original gel battery last month with another original overpriced BMW gel battery
The first one lasted five years, I was having no issues but thought that I should not tempt fate with the weather here about to get colder.
So for me the gel is and has been great

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:26 pm

I installed an Odyssey about a year ago. Search this site for "odyssey pc80" and you'll have plenty to read. FWIW, mine won't hold a charge and I'm certain everything is off and disconnected. I'm starting to suspect my '05 LT is more sensitive to low voltage for some reason. (I know the LT has a low-voltage sensor or something that won't let it crank unless enough juice is available, but mine seems too finicky) It has failed me several times and I've had to get it jumped. I carry cables everywhere now. Anywho...

Batteries Plus (right next door to Motohio/BMW Columbus) sells them, but you'll pay full price. Do this only if you're in a hurry and can't wait for a mail-order battery to arrive.

Check out the waterproof version of the Battery Tender. Smaller than the usual size, and it gives you the option of using it outdoors. A nice feature, I think. Also sold at Batteries Plus. $50.

Be sure to get the Powerlet adapter that lets you plug a tender directly into the LT's front power outlet. (the rear power outlet is not powered unless the ignition is on) This adapter replaces the alligator clip ends of the standard tender. It's much easier than getting under the seat and moving the Baeher intercom and all its cables to get to the battery terminals. Best $15 I ever spent on the LT.

If you still have several bikes you may want to go with a multicharger unit.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:34 pm

Wink Re: Batteries

Just for clarification, the battery that a couple of folks have previously mentioned here as being the "PC-80" is actually the "Odyssey PC-680". I have had one on the Bike for six years now with no probs! I do use the Battery Tender if I am not going to be riding for weeks, which is rare.

So if you search, do it for the "Odyssey PC-680".

HTH,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:23 am

I believe the PC-680 is an Absorbed Glass Matt battery not a Gel battery. It is the only battery I have had in both of my LTs.

OBTW, never had it on a battery tender either and never had it fail to start, except when the previous owner and I left the auxillary lights on accidently.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:26 am Thread Starter

All-
Thanks for your replies. Now Im not sure if I need a new battery or not. I plugged in my battery tender for "gel" batteries and left it on overnight. I checked on it this morning and the BT was still showing a red "non-blinking" light. However, I did turn the ignition key on and everything on the dash lite up and then the BT's green light was blinking which is 80% charged I believe. Im going to leave it on the BT to see if I get a 100% charge and start her up. If not its a PC-680 for me. Ive used them on the Guzzi's and they seem fine.

One question on the PC-680, doest it fit the battery tray? Also do I need a different type of Battery Tender?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
All-
Thanks for your replies. Now Im not sure if I need a new battery or not. I plugged in my battery tender for "gel" batteries and left it on overnight. I checked on it this morning and the BT was still showing a red "non-blinking" light. However, I did turn the ignition key on and everything on the dash lite up and then the BT's green light was blinking which is 80% charged I believe. Im going to leave it on the BT to see if I get a 100% charge and start her up. If not its a PC-680 for me. Ive used them on the Guzzi's and they seem fine.

One question on the PC-680, doest it fit the battery tray? Also do I need a different type of Battery Tender?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi, Jim --- if you don't find a reasonably priced Odyssey, here is a great substitute (courtesy of Alan Stuber who has used one for several years) that ole Toad has been on for sometime. A leetle bit of product features above the Odyssey, and reasonably priced. I ran a PC-680 Odyssey for 4 or 5 years and it fit the battery tray just fine. They do make a PC-680MJ (metal jacket) which might fit snug, butt I've no experience with that feature.

I did have to modify the terminal connectors a bit on the Panasonic, to make thangs work, butt very easy to do and we're very happy with it. Have had only the Deltran Battery Tender Plus on all of Toad's batteries - whether lead-acid, or AGM, and it has worked fine on all of 'em. Good luck, Jim.
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Hi Jim

I thought my first Battery tender died when my bat fired up the LT fine, but the tender never went from red to green. After I cut the leads off the tender, and took it apart, it occurred to me that the problem might have been corrosion on the connections--low voltage and low current.

Since that time, I pop the seat and clip the tender to the battery terminals--end of tender problems.

Best from Tucson
Bob

PS: that idea came to me because someone at the old site reported it.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in