Heated seat for 99 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Heated seat for 99 LT?

I'm thinking of replacing my stock seats with heated BMW ones which I can buy all day long from this website. However, I'm not sure I've got the wiring harness on my early 99 to make the installation a simple plug-in process. A couple of years ago I bought a chrome top case luggage rack with the CHMSL stop light. After lots of checking, I'm certain the necessary pigtail harness for that connection is not on my bike.The rack wasn't offered by BMW until '00 or '01 as I recall. I'm thinking that because the heated seats were not offered in 99 that there is also no connector for them, either. I can't see any under the seat now. Is this a lost cause?

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Re: Heated seat for 99 LT?

I have a 99 as well. The rear is heated, not sure why the front was not, nor if it has the harness ready for install. If it is wired for the front seat as well, where would the switch be located?
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I have a 99 as well. The rear is heated, not sure why the front was not, nor if it has the harness ready for install. If it is wired for the front seat as well, where would the switch be located?
The seat should be located on the right side of your seat, very close to the switch for the rear seat. If there is no switch then you don't have a heated seat, maybe the PO got a nice one for the pillion...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
I'm thinking of replacing my stock seats with heated BMW ones which I can buy all day long from this website. However, I'm not sure I've got the wiring harness on my early 99 to make the installation a simple plug-in process. A couple of years ago I bought a chrome top case luggage rack with the CHMSL stop light. After lots of checking, I'm certain the necessary pigtail harness for that connection is not on my bike.The rack wasn't offered by BMW until '00 or '01 as I recall. I'm thinking that because the heated seats were not offered in 99 that there is also no connector for them, either. I can't see any under the seat now. Is this a lost cause?
99 did offer heated seats, but not for all versions, so you may not have the harness. Contact Tony at ltparts.com and he'll send you what you need.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Each seat has it's own switch control. Both switches are located near each other, on the right underneath side of each seat. These are rocker switches, with OFF in the middle and continuous heating when rocked forward; rapid heating when rocked rearward. The 15 amp fuse for the heated seats is in the leftmost fuse box, third fuse down.

I'm not positive, butt I think the harness and connector for the driver's seat is up under the stingray. The passenger seat connector is near the helmet hanger under the seat.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:48 pm

I added heated seats to my 99LT ,there was no factory wire harness/plug for ether seat or backrest and the position where the fuse should have been in the fuse box had no fuse plug in clips to hold a fuse ,Many points were scored with the wife by getting her a heated seat/backrest .

BobG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in