Battery charger question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Battery charger question

Replaced the battery in the 2000LT yesterday... I have the BMW charger. After installing the new battery, I put the charger on it per battery instructions. Let it charge for a few hours, came out and put the multi meter on it and it was showing 15.8 V. Battery was very warm also...
I dissconected the cherger and checked the volts again, it had dropped to 13.5 V.

Question, could my BMW charger be over charging the battery for some reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Re: Battery charger question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Replaced the battery in the 2000LT yesterday... I have the BMW charger. After installing the new battery, I put the charger on it per battery instructions. Let it charge for a few hours, came out and put the multi meter on it and it was showing 15.8 V. Battery was very warm also...
I dissconected the cherger and checked the volts again, it had dropped to 13.5 V.

You'll need to give a bit more detail. What kind of battery, what kind of charger? IF you replaced your old lead acid battery with a Gel Cell and used your non gel cell bmw charger to charge it, yes you can damage your battery.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
You'll need to give a bit more detail. What kind of battery, what kind of charger? IF you replaced your old lead acid battery with a Gel Cell and used your non gel cell bmw charger to charge it, yes you can damage your battery.

As I stated in my first post, I have the BMW charger ( 1.25 amp). The battery is a Everstart that I got from WalMart. It's a sealed battery that had the electrolite container that you pour into the battery and then place the sealed caps on the battery after you have filled it with the electrolite. I don't think it's a lead plate battery, It has some sort of glass plates that soak up the electrolite liquide and is suposed to be maintenance free.

The battery that I replaced was a BMW battery, gel cell I think. The problem I had was when I went for a start, the motor cranked over real slow like the battery was weak. I had the BMW charger on the bike 24/7 for the last 10 months. After I tried to start the bike, I saw smoke coming from under the seat, so I raised the seat and I could see smoke coming from the top of the battery, and the battery was very, very hot. The smoke had an acidic smell to it. I quickly dissconnected the terminals and put the multi meter on it and it showed -13.5 amps. Yes that was negative amps, something that I have never seen before. SO I went to WalMart and picked up the EverStart.

The new battery starts the bike just fine and all seems to be working well. I'm just confused as to why the BMW charger did not "stop" charging when the battery was at full charge.

Last edited by PhantomK12LT; Jul 10th, 2008 at 11:22 am.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Lot's of views but no replies... COme on guys, give me some info here.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Your old battery is/was failed. You are well on the way to ruining your new battery! Any time you are charging a battery (Gel, AGM or closed cell lead or open cell lead) and the Voltage exceeds 14.4 v. you are getting into boiling the water and making steam and that leads to an explosive device that is extremely dangerous. 14.4 v. closed circuit voltage is only used for a purpose for a short time on 4 th staged chargers for a reason. Your new battery (float charge) proves the charger was putting out way over 14.4 for some time and that is not good! The voltage regulator chip and one or more diodes is shorted in that charger............. don't use it. 15 volts for a few seconds every 24 to 48 hours is a "spike" that is used in multimode chargers for a very short time to equalize "cells" (enough said). That short spike will not produce a float charge (nearly 16 vdc) such as you indicate.

You are now buying a "Walmart" battery? If a person knows alot about batteries and chargers and electrical in general they may get away doing this.......... but, why? You say it is a sealed battery and yet the caps come off and in goes the electrolye. All these batteries have lead plates (the NiCads were removed even from Jet aircraft decades ago because of thermal runaway due to charging). It is the space between the lead plates that creates the main difference between a Gel and an AGM (absorbed glass-mat). The gel has a greasy thick electrolye and the AGM has spun fiberglass to "absorb" the watery electrolye that is used. Any of these 12 volt, 6 cell batteries will read at full charge 12.8 vdc and that is 100% charged but most charging is done at just over 13.8 vdc (it can be over on high rev's but you know that doesn't last long and the vr will cut it back).
So beware of that charger you have................ a hot battery gets that way from too much voltage/current being rammed into it and/ or too much current being pulled out of it in a short time.
Look at the explosion containment garages have for charging batteries.................... your first missed clue was the danger that battery was indicating at nearly 16 vdc! Yikes! You should know the difference between "open circuit" and "closed circuit" voltage/ checking. Dealing with safety here I think, makes possible "responders" think twice .......about jumping in and giving advice.

Another thing that people should know is this: What ever your charger is putting out much of your electronics aboard your boat, airplane, car or motorcycle is getting that too! Much electronics today is CMOS technology and it does not last long on overvoltage! Most items today are still (not just timing circuits, clocks etc) on when you have them turned off.............Think about it!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwmoa 100984

Last edited by Tourdog; Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:09 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Put the multi meter on it and it was showing 15.8 V.

That looks too high to me.

My chargers cut off at 14.4V before going to float mode in the mid 13s.

Alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in