Swapped battery - how it went - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Swapped battery - how it went

My BMW battery died last wed, didn't have the $154 for a new one, so I went with the Batteriesasap.com LC-X122op Panasonic 20AH GEL battery for $85 or so....no invoice with the shipment.

Why companies do not provide invoices in the shipping boxes, whether or not there is a warranty, is beyond me.

What I ran into:

The terminals were not nearly located in the same positions on the battery as the BMW. That created a number of issues. The holes in the terminals were too small, which had to be drilled out. I called to ask if they sold the 90 degree terminal adapters, the woman had no idea. I called twice, no one knew.

Due to the terminal locations, the bolts would not go through from the same directions, which made it more difficult getting the 9 connections hooked up.

Needless to say, this was not a ten minute job. On the other hand, rather have the problems at home than be stranded on the road.

With all the new tools created (just be Sears alone the past few yaers), the technical marvels, one has to wonder why in the hell there is not a better means of attaching a few wires to the battery terminal with QD's of some sort, that do not fail in use. I would never have enough tools with me to do this job on the road.

I sincerely HOPE that is the end of my mechanical/electrical issues and money spent on this GD machine, and I can finally use it without having to worry about what is next.

The dealer has stated more than a few times, "what do you expect for a used motorcycle?" I did not expect to spend over $12k on a 99LT, including having it serviced by the dealer for over $1400 and then have to spend another five weeks working on the bike before I ever really got to even ride it. That does not even include valve adjustments or plugs!

So much for my venting today. I have not spent this much time or money on all the bikes I have ever owned, combined. And, I rode those bikes for years without much of any more than one valve adjustment, a few tires, brakes, a battery and some plugs.

We shall see how the summer goes. If there are any more issues of any significance to deal with on this bike, this may have to be sold/traded for something else.

As much as I love the ride of the LT, I doubt it would be another BMW. Maybe it would be time to hang it up, again.

The other side of the coin is, I am way past sudden death over time, and astounded to be riding any bike........

Just more than very disappointed with all the money this machine has sucked out of our lives.

All that out of my system and with bigger issues to deal with today, have a great Holiday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 2:23 pm

Re: Swapped battery - how it went

I replaced the stock BMW battery with the same battery as you a few months ago and do not remember have any of these issues. I did have to drill out the holes a little, but that was it. These K bikes do require more maintenance than I am use to as well, and without this forum I doubt that I would still have it. I have replaced most of the half dozen or so OEM parts that are known to be POS with better aftermarket stuff and have been relatively trouble free lately. I still am waiting for the final drive and clutch to go south, and if/when that happens Iíll look at it as an opportunity for improvement and go on.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Swapped battery - how it went

I switched to the same Panasonic battery about a year ago. Went down to the ACE hardware and got shorter bolts for the terminals. Switched a few months later to the even cheaper Better Battery. Same issue with the terminals.

dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in