Starter engages without key - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Starter engages without key

I replaced my battery that had died thinking that i didn't maintain it well over the winter. The key was not in the ginition. When i reconnected the battery the starter engaged when the starter cable touched the battery positive terminal. Luckily i disconnected it before the bike lurched forward enough to drop off the kick stand....could have been a worst disaster!!!
Has this happened to anyone in the past??? I removed all the fuses and even then it tried to start but i had dropped the gear to neutral so it didn't lurch ahead.
Instructions to get to the electronic box appear exhaustive and if there's a tip to try something else before i'd like to at least try.
Obviuosly this is a serious problem
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:35 pm
Just ridin'

Re: Starter engages without key

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguppy
I replaced my battery that had died thinking that i didn't maintain it well over the winter. The key was not in the ginition. When i reconnected the battery the starter engaged when the starter cable touched the battery positive terminal. Luckily i disconnected it before the bike lurched forward enough to drop off the kick stand....could have been a worst disaster!!!
Has this happened to anyone in the past??? I removed all the fuses and even then it tried to start but i had dropped the gear to neutral so it didn't lurch ahead.
Instructions to get to the electronic box appear exhaustive and if there's a tip to try something else before i'd like to at least try.
Obviuosly this is a serious problem
thanks
You have a stuck starter relay. Put the bike in neutral, connect the battery, then tap the starter button repeatedly while the bike is cranking. That will sometimes unstick the contacts. If that doesn't work you will need to replace the relay.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old May 24th, 2008, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Right after i posted the thread i was directed to similar threads and lo and behold there's the answer which you just coroborated. I did try the tap to the battery while the starter button is pressed and to no avail! Now it's tupperware party time with even more work after that.
thanks to this web site i at least know what happened!
ciao

post #4 of 7 Old May 24th, 2008, 10:08 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguppy
I did try the tap to the battery while the starter button is pressed and to no avail!
Actually the only way this will work is to fully CONNECT the battery then repeatedly tap the starter BUTTON. This has to be done with the ignition on and the bike in neutral. By activating the relay coil repeatedly it is possible to unstick the contacts.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #5 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:50 am

I have the same problem on a 1999 with 1500 miles on it. Does anyone know where the relay is located? I am new to BMW Bikes (Harley Rider) and am very impressed with the ride and quality of the bike.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResortRealtorJoe
I have the same problem on a 1999 with 1500 miles on it. Does anyone know where the relay is located? I am new to BMW Bikes (Harley Rider) and am very impressed with the ride and quality of the bike.
The starter relay is located in the electronics box, under the fuel tank. A bit of a bear to get to. There should be plenty of threads/posts covering this procedure - some may be among the 5 "similar threads" below your post, and others will turn up following some keyword searches.

I doubt your relay is covered on the TSB for this problem that occurred mostly with the '99 model LTs, butt it sure wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer about it - especially if you're on good terms with 'em. Maybe other service can be included while they're in there?! Good luck.
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:49 pm

If punching the started button doesn't work, try riding it off a curb. The jolt sometimes breaks them loose.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in