Question about BMW Charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Question about BMW Charger

Just purchased the BMW charger, part number 71 60 7 688 865 ,for my '07 R1200RT. After hooking it up, the light will go from red to green, usually taking a few hours to do so. But after anywhere from say ,12 hours to 48 hours on green, it goes back to red, and doesn't go back to green. I don't believe this is the way it is supposed to work, but the manual isn't very clear on this.

Once the light goes to green, isn't it supposed to stay that way until you remove the charger?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Bob B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:33 am

Question Re: Question about BMW Charger

Are you connecting the charger directly to the battery ... or are you using one of the OEM powerlet ports?
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:10 am

Re: Question about BMW Charger

Mine keeps changing also...but it works just fine. Due to all of the snow in the NW, my bike sits for awhile but always starts just fine when I want to go riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R1200GS

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Are you connecting the charger directly to the battery ... or are you using one of the OEM powerlet ports?
I'm connecting to the OEM powerlet sockets (tried them both).

Again, is it normal for the light to go back to red and stay that way after being green? I wouldn't think so, but not sure?

Thanks again.

Bob B
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB

Again, is it normal for the light to go back to red and stay that way after being green? I wouldn't think so, but not sure?

Thanks again.

Bob B
FWIW, I have not seen any charger do that.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB

Thanks again.

Bob B
Don't quote me here, butt I agree with you - it shouldn't do that. I can't remember if Deltran makes the BMW charger, butt - if this scenario happens on a Battery Tender model charger, the book sez either the battery may be defective - have it tested; OR, the battery has an excessive current draw and to remove the battery from the equipment.

That last part should be easy - just disconnect the battery from the system; hook up the charger direct to the battery posts and see if that same event happens. Or, run it to your dealer and have them check it out. Hope a guru or three jumps in here and helps out - good luck.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:51 am

If I remember correctly, it is a problem with the Canbus shutting down, that causes the BMW chargers to do that. I have a friend with an 05 RT and a BMW charger that does the same thing. To prove that it is the Canbus and not the battery, you could connect the charger directly to the battery or install another acc. plug connected directly to the battery as many have done. I installed another acc plug, in the knockout on the rear of his RT, connected directly to the battery, through a centech, and his charger now works just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in