My new stebel horn isn't working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy My new stebel horn isn't working

While I was replacing the air filter, I thought it'd be a good time to install the stebel horn I've had lying around. Thank you Joe and Grif for your howto at K-bikes. It really helped.

So I've hooked everything up and guess what, no stebel. Stock still works. So I take out the voltmeter and here's what I see. The switched signal from the stock horn comes to the relay, and the relay has 12V from the battery, but when the horn is pressed, no 12V comes out of the relay to the stebel. Either my relay is bad, or I hooked it up wrong.

The relay is the one that comes with the horn. Looking at the diagram that came with it, it seems to me that pin 85 is ground, 87 goes to the positive on the horn, 30 goes to the + of the battery, and 86 is connected to the switched horn line I tapped into on the stock horn. Does that sound right? I'd appreciate any insight on whether my connection is wrong, or the relay is bad.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:25 pm

Re: My new stebel horn isn't working

Bob, this should help. Looks like you did it right. Terminals on Relay;
30/51-fed with a fused power lead from battery or fuse block.
85-Ground*
87-output to accessory.
86-trigger(switch on)

When you hit the horn do you hear the relay "click"? If not, probabley bad one or *. I did a relay on horn install while back and a few days later no toot. Bad relay. *Also, check ground. Bemmers are notorious for lousy frame grounds. Use green wire. Went to local parts store and got a reg automotive relay-30amp.
Oh, you did ground the Stebel?

Last edited by MarinPhil; Apr 21st, 2008 at 12:32 pm.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Hi Phil.

Thanks for confirming the pinouts. I did ground the stebel, and the stebel does work. I jumpered the 12V post on the relay to the post that goes to the horn, and it blares. I cannot be sure of the "click" since the OEM horn is hooked up and pretty much drowns out any relay sounds, but from the evidence, I think it's pretty clear the relay is bad.

I just ordered a fuse block and relay, along with some other gadgets I thought I might as well install while the plastic is off. With the technical difficulties and the expanding scope of the project, I might not be riding for weeks!

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:17 am

Bob,

Any luck with your new relay? I just purchased a Stebel compact truck horn for my Jeep and I'm getting the same thing. The relay just clicks when I hit the horn switch. If I jumper directly to the battery the horn sounds just fine. I'm wondering if they had a bad batch of relays...
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
*Also, check ground. Bemmers are notorious for lousy frame grounds. Use green wire.
Brown is always ground on our bikes.

My Stebel works flawlessly, but I didn't order a relay from them. I always use "waterproof" relays on the bike. In other words, they're sealed. You can do it yourself by popping the cap and laying a bead of silicone.

I bet it's the relay, Not unheard of to get a bad one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:11 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
*Also, check ground. Bemmers are notorious for lousy frame grounds. Use green wire.
If you are looking for a ground wire on a BMW it is always a BROWN wire.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:20 am
Just ridin'

Quick tests:

Disconnect the trigger wire from terminal 86 on the relay. Leave the other wires connected.

Jumper between terminals 30 and 87, horn honks - your horn and power supply to the relay are good.

Jumper between terminals 30 and 86, horn honks - your relay is good, the ground is good, suspect the trigger line from the old horn. Horn doesn't honk and relay clicks - bad relay. Relay doesn't click - suspect bad ground.

Frame grounds can be suspect on the bikes, for the low current of a relay any solid brown wire is a good ground. On my bikes I always bring a ground lead from the battery to a central point on the frame at the front and rear of the bike - then tie all of the accessory grounds to those points.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 10 Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdrew22
Bob,

Any luck with your new relay? I just purchased a Stebel compact truck horn for my Jeep and I'm getting the same thing. The relay just clicks when I hit the horn switch. If I jumper directly to the battery the horn sounds just fine. I'm wondering if they had a bad batch of relays...
I did have a bad relay. I believe the relay came with the horn, so maybe there was a bad batch. If you don't want to wait for mail order, an auto parts store should have a relay that'll work. But, verify the wiring first. I used a voltmeter to verify there wasn't 12V on the output of the relay when the control signal from the stock horn went high.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 2:32 am

There was a slight problem with my first horn, but Biker Hiway replaced it within 3 days with no questions asked.Installation: I put this on my VN900 Custom. I found a brace piece welded at the top left of the frame on the left side that was triangular in shape and easy to drill through without weakening anything structurally. By placing this on the LEFT side, the horn faces back as recommended in the instructions. One hole, longer bolt, one wrench. I took off the old horn and used that bolt to mount the relay. Crimped on connectors for two short leads going to the horn and added a 14ga wire from the battery, through a 20-amp fuse, to the relay. It looks totally professional and is out of the way, with the horn flares and the input port facing backward so they're less likely to suck up water in the rain. It's completely out of the way of my legs and knees.
Performance: Outstanding. Nuff said. Loud, shrill, and commanding. Biker Hiway: Seldom do you find a vendor like this one. I was certain I'd have to pay shipping to return the item and then shipping to get the new part delivered. This has happened with items for me before. Even a huge TV one time, and that did not amuse! Horrible to have to pay double or triple shipping just because you were sent something defective! NOT AT BIKER HIWAY! A simple email to the customer service people and the new unit was on its way the same day.
Four stars for the horn, simply because the first unit had a short internally.
Ten stars for Biker Hiway because they are immaculate!
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 29th, 2009, 6:52 am

This tip is from another forum on wiring the relay. Wiring the battery to terminal 30 leaves the N.C. contact 87A (if your relay has it) hot when the horn isn't activated. If you reverse terminals 30 and 87 you won't have a hot terminal at 87A. Connect the horn to 30 and the battery to 87. It just gets rid of a potential accidental short point.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in