Help! Alarm fuse F3 keeps blowing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 27th, 2008, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Help! Alarm fuse F3 keeps blowing

Hi All!

As stated in the topic, here's my situation: Bike won't start, found fuse F3 blown. * Replaced it (ignition in 'off' state), and fuse blows in 3-5 seconds. Repeat from (*) until supply of fuses exausted.

Background: Just after New Year, I picked up a nail in the rear tire. Front tire about due for replacement too. Parked bike in carport, waited until next paycheck to buy tires (2 weeks). Order tires (another week) Mount tires (another week before I can get to them) Early February, tires mounted, tried starting....not enough juice left in battery. Hooked up trickle charger (overnight). Next day find trickle charger in 'overload', battery stone dead. Connected heavier charger. Saw lights flash, as if anti-theft alarm was sounding...only they flashed once, for about 1 seconds. Battery now fully charged. Starter won't start (checked the obvious--side stand, neutral, clutch in, run/kill switch in 'run') Checked fuses to find F3 (horn, brake lights, alarm) blown. New fuse blew before I could get the cover back on the fuse box. Disconnected battery for 20 minutes. Reconnected it, new fuse--blew in 3-5 seconds. Alarm will not sound, will not respond to remote/fob.

Late last autumn, alarm 'siren' stopped working, and no longer got 'beep' when arming/disarming. Now I'm thinking the rest of it stopped working. My question here: can I (and how do I) unplug/bypass/remove the alarm so I can ride now (and put the repair/replacement off until my funds recover from the tires)?

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000

Last edited by sparky_k1200lt; Feb 27th, 2008 at 2:37 pm. Reason: oops, that button wasn't 'preview'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Re: Help! Alarm fuse F3 keeps blowing

Update:

Removed the top box, yanked the alarm out. F3 fuse no longer blows. Horn works. Brake lights work. Alarm unit has funny (burnt) smell. Bike still won't start--starter motor won't even run.

Here are a few more questions and observations. Maybe someone can chime in with an answer or suggestion:

When the battery is low, low enough to not turn the starter, should I hear the starter relay click on/off with the starter button?

The alarm control unit, motion sensor, and receiver live under the top box, next to the charcoal canister. Connections to motion sensor, LED (on dash near right mirror), Receiver and 'harness'. 'Harness' consists of an orange plug, which I trace on wiring diagram to 'X9354', connecting power and front turn signals (for visual indication of alarm). Also on 'Harness' is a 6-pin connector heading towards the front of the bike. Signals on this harness appear to be: 1-key switch 'on', 2-??, 3 & 4 jacketed together-?? 5 & 6 jacketed together-5 goes +12 when I press starter button. Any idea where the other wires get connected??

Other unexpected repair bills on 'the family bus' have further hampered my ability to buy new parts, so I'm determined to get this running without the alarm. I think the key is finding where the harness is connected at the other end. Anyone got an installation page that tells where this harness gets connected?

Please feel free to chime in here guys!

...Bob
1978 GL1000
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Alarm by-pass surgery

Since people have been looking, but not knowing what to say, its time I say it.

Alarm by-pass surgery http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34421

Its my explanation of a quick by-pass, that could possibly be done if alarm fails on the road.

...Bob
1978 GL1000

post #4 of 4 Old May 6th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Re: Help! Alarm fuse F3 keeps blowing

recent purchase of 05, same fuse blown (brake light, horn, alarm) reads direct short to battery neg. at fuse holder.
pulled rear light assembly disconnected jack still shorted
pulled top box and multi pin connector and 3 pin to alarm...still shorts
guess the next step is horn
briefly looked at foot brake micro sw...looked fine
anyone have similar issue or any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in