Stand-by Elecrical consumption? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Stand-by Elecrical consumption?

Hi again

I got my LT and i have not even driven yet (As im still at work)and I just found out that it wont start and battery is flat...

Any ideas what is stand by electrical consumption and how often in tropical climate (I live in Thailand, not costal so no humid involved) bike should be started to maintain battery in good condition.

Also as my work requires staying away from home\bike about 10 to 12 weeks at the time, is advisable to take off the batter for that time as no one will drive it.

Your input is helping me to save money .....as i donít need to buy new battery so often.

-Marco-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Get yourself a Battery Tender / Smart Charger; it will keep the battery hot for you.

Stand By Power Consumption is minimal at best as long as all accessories are OFF and the Parking Light is not on.

Thank's Dave

any suggestion for a brand?

and again i have to check if we have those in Thailand,,,
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
You will use less power if the forks are Locked as opposed to just Off. But don't turn it too far so the Parking Light is on.

Also, a battery tender would be very useful if you're going to be away for that long.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 11th, 2008, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Re: Stand-by Elecrical consumption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You will use less power if the forks are Locked as opposed to just Off. But don't turn it too far so the Parking Light is on.

Also, a battery tender would be very useful if you're going to be away for that long.
Hi Meese

Have did that,but last 4 days did not star thte bike and when tryed last night, all warning lights where on when turn power on but when tryed to start motor did just turn but not even try to start, not normal where the power goes?

I never leave bike with parking lights on nor anything else, so that cant be the sourse,, something else is not right now as my batter was new only 2weeks old.

Any advice?
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2008, 4:12 am

You can try four other things:
1. Turn off the radio before you turn off the bike. Some earlier model bikes had bad radios.
2. Listen to see if the cd changer is cycling through disks (if you have the 6 cd changer in the right rear saddle bag. Some of the earlier LT's the cd changer would cycle even if it was powered off.
3. Disconnect the battery for 2 or 3 days. When you reconnect it, see if the bike starts normally. If not you have a bad battery.
4. Do what Dave and Ken has suggested, get a bettery tender.
With the key being in the off position (with forks turned), you bike should not be using any "noticeable" power at all. I can leave mine parked for a couple of weeks (very rare) but it will immediately start up.
Good luck!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2008, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
You can try four other things:
1. Turn off the radio before you turn off the bike. Some earlier model bikes had bad radios.
2. Listen to see if the cd changer is cycling through disks (if you have the 6 cd changer in the right rear saddle bag. Some of the earlier LT's the cd changer would cycle even if it was powered off.
3. Disconnect the battery for 2 or 3 days. When you reconnect it, see if the bike starts normally. If not you have a bad battery.
4. Do what Dave and Ken has suggested, get a bettery tender.
With the key being in the off position (with forks turned), you bike should not be using any "noticeable" power at all. I can leave mine parked for a couple of weeks (very rare) but it will immediately start up.
Good luck!
Hi Mtrevelino

Thankx for this and will do it and follow up later on this week...

Cheers
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:30 pm
Geo

Is there a "CANBUS" on the LT? 05' in particular. or is there another way to connect the batt charger other than disconnecting the batt from the bike and conecting the charger. b'cause that is a hassle!
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT-TH
Hi Meese

Have did that,but last 4 days did not star thte bike and when tryed last night, all warning lights where on when turn power on but when tryed to start motor did just turn but not even try to start, not normal where the power goes?

I never leave bike with parking lights on nor anything else, so that cant be the sourse,, something else is not right now as my batter was new only 2weeks old.

Any advice?
I had the same trouble last week. I had left the bike with the Alarm functioning and after 4 days wouldn't start, so there is a drain on the battery from the alarm system.
Got a generic Battery tender hooked to the battery & I am now good
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
Is there a "CANBUS" on the LT? 05' in particular. or is there another way to connect the batt charger other than disconnecting the batt from the bike and conecting the charger. b'cause that is a hassle!
No CANBUS on the LT.
If you use a battery tender with the BMW plug you can hook it to the front left powerlet (near the shifter). The rear powerlet is "switched" meaning that the key will need to be in the ON position, which is not at all what you want.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in