Battery Shelf Life - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Battery Shelf Life

My 2005 has the original battery, from April 2004. I assume it will need replacing by summer, and with a long trip planned for October, I don't want to play battery games.

If I buy before I need the battery, I can shop around, and get the best battery at the best price. But how long can I leave a new battery sitting on the shelf before I install it in the bike? I assume I'll be getting an AGM type.

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 7:15 pm

If you get one shipped to you it may not have the acid installed in the battery yet. I recently purchased and Yuasu AGM replacement battery for my R1200GS and I had to put the acid in the battery and install the leak proof cap assembly. If this is how you get the battery then it can be stored almost indefinitely.

If the acid is already installed in the battery then it is subject to the same degradation issues that any lead acid battery is subject to. It is best to store the battery with a battery tender installed if you are planning to store it for any significant length of time. Depending on it's construction an AGM type battery can self discharge anywhere from 2-10 percent a month. Some sources state that sulphation damage can begin with as little as 10% discharge of the battery. Other sources state that this is only significant for a fully or significantly discharged battery. If you are only talking about two or three months then you are probably OK without a battery tender. Anything longer than that and I personally would put it on a tender. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 6 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 5:56 am

Get the Odyssey, VERY long shelf life, sealed AGM. It can sit on the shelf for YEARS and still have most of it's charge. Months don't hurt it at all.

Long charge retention in the bike too, unless let sit for months, no need for a battery tender.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:05 am

Before buying a new battery check its standing voltage (the voltage output of the battery after sitting for 8+ hours) compared to the specs for the type of battery you have. As batteries age, the internal resistance goes up and therefore the output voltage drops. If you're within a couple/few tenths of a volt (depending on battery type), the battery doesn't need replacing.

My '03 still has it's original gel battery and last time I checked (about 2-3 months ago) it tested as basically in new condition. I give credit for this life to keeping it on a BatteryMinder most of the time. BatteryMinder has a desulphation process that they claim extends battery life by upto 3x and can help recover weak batteries. If your battery tests good put your money in a BatteryMinder, it will save you in the long run.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:11 am

OK...I'll bite. How do you check the voltage. Sorry fo the stupid question.
Bob

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Battery Minder

I have a Battery Tender Jr. that I used on a BMW F650 and rarely on the Moto Guzzi. The Moto Guzzi has no fancy electronics, so it never runs down. On the BMW F650 the Battery Tender ran the battery dry after just a couple weeks. Since it is advertised to be for long term use, I made the mistake of believing that it would not require the same concern as a trickle charger.

Since the BMW battery is gel, I will need to get a different type battery support system I guess, but generally I keep a battery up by riding the bike at least ever couple weeks.

As in the question above, do I need to completely disconnect the battery to conduct the voltage health check?

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in