Run Safe - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Run Safe

Need to know how this works. If it goes in liquid, does it stay that way, what prevents it from clogging the valve, and does it shoot back into an air gage? Where do you buy it, how much is needed and how often.

Only having a bike for a month, I have had been checking pressures almost daily and seeing as much as 8-10lb losses in just two days. Have new M880's and didn't think I should be experiencing that much pressure changes. Had them back to the dealer for check, they said nothing wrong.

Snow, cold temps, no garage, all may be factors.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 5:47 pm

It sounds more like an issue when you attach the pressure gauge to the tire valve. If it goes on a little crooked you will get false readings...

They say car tires lose about 1 lb of pressure per month. I check my bike tires every 2 weeks or sooner if I am planning a little trip, and I always find a bit of pressure loss...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

That's what I first thought. I didn't check the tires for three days on our first road trip on a newly purchased 99 RT. The forth day on the way home, we almost blew out the tire. By the time I got to the dealer, the air pressure was just about 20psi. Traded the bike then and there for the LT, which was the best thing we could have done.

Had two new M880's installed on that a week later, and I am still seeing some large drops in air pressure, more on the rear. It is possible that they may not have cleaned the rim well enough, or something else. They also stated a new tires loses some air, but I did not think 10lbs in less than a week just sitting there was reasonable.

I did hear some air leak when I removed the caps, did a spit test and nothing.

Someone had mentioned the Run Safe, and I thought if it helped keep the tires properly inflated, it would be better than having to pull out a micro compressor every few days to keep the tires inflated, once we get this on the road.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 5th, 2007, 7:05 pm

If your losing that much air are you might try and take the tire off an but it in a tub of water and see if you have a nail or small crack or slit somewhere. If you don't have one some tire stores have them. Soapy water is the best common tool to use.

There is also a problem where old stems are leaking on the outside around the metal sleave that has the valve and it will eventually fail all at once. If you have a rubber stem it should be changed every tire change.

To check the stem put some dish liquid mixture on the stem and wiggle it..

Depending on the type of air pressure gauge you are using you might be bleeding off a lot more air than you think gauge you check it. The analog type with the long hoses are pretty tough to use if you check frequently. Usually a good digital gauge uses the least amount of air per check. However I think you have a real problem.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 6:37 am Thread Starter

The new tires are only on ten days or so, noticed a big drop the second or third day. Took it right back to the dealer for a check, it has new stems, they said this was normal!

I use the best digital gage I could buy,second only to the $52 BMW gage.

I guess at this point I will just have to see what happens when it warms up and I can get it out of it's storage area. No room to check the tires in there.

Seems to me the most likely issue would be the rim might have not been cleaned well enough. On the other hand, knowing it would cost them time to re-do this, if that were the case, I would like to believe they did the best install possible to begin with.

Better to find out now than on a trip.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 7:12 am

"They all do that"....

Ok, now that we've had a laugh.... My LT seemed to do the same. I put some stuff in there from a friend and voila! no more air pressure drops...

I can't speculate on "why.. " other than somehow the valves are leaking and after running the goop through the valve it now seals better. OR..... the goop has dripped along the rim and sealed the bead... can't be sure because I don't see any of it oozing out.

When checking air pressure I've seen varying results.... because my technique for getting the gauge to seal on the valve was bad. The whole "trick" for me is to have it properly aligned and push down as hard as possible to seal.... it will take more pressure than a car tire because of the direction but mostly because there is more air pressure... (car is typically 32-35psi).

Another "fact" point... MC tires have MUCH less "volume" than auto's... so, any "leakage" during the "test" process WILL reduce the air pressure a bit... do it enough times, with leakage during the process and you will see a drop. So, be very "deliberate" in your tests.

The "goop" may come out of the valve, but not likely. During the "rotation" of the tire cetrifugal force will spin most of the stuff out to the tire... If you are concerned, "burp" the valve just a little and look for any loss... NOTE: this will reduce your air pressure so make the test very brief... actually, just push the center pin enough to hear the air.. Once you KNOW how your bike behaves, you can probably quit worrying about it.

One other thing I would check.. put some "soapy water".. not REAL soapy.. just enough to make bubbles...around the valve where it passes through the rim... during replacement, the edge of the valve may have been scratched.. also, push the valve in a circle....it should NOT leak... If no bubbles, try the tire beads.. one at a time... Finally, pour some over the tire itself and patiently watch for growing bubbles.. a 10# leak should display itself....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Talking Goop voids the tire warranty!

Goop should be a last resort.

Sounds to me like you have a punture or you haven't ridden enough to get the tire warm to help it seal tight to the rim.

Soapy water is cheap and it will find a leak pretty quick. A soap bubble shouldn't GROW while you watch it. I use a squit bottle and can spray it all over the tire.

Good luck.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in