WestCo Sealed AGM
PC680 ODYSSEY Drycell Battery
BMW Gel Battery

I need to buy a battery very soon...

Thanks in advance

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MattKas; Sep 3rd, 2007 at 1:38 pm. Reason: Adding "the"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:57 pm

I would shop price. Unless, you want to throw your local dealer a bone and buy from them. That's what I did.
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:09 pm

I purchased the Panasonic AGM battery from Digikey.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 7:50 pm

I bought an ODYSSEY this season. I usually get a lot of years out of a battery because I always put the battery on a tender and checked the liquid at least every two months.

This ODYSSEY battery impressed me. It came fully charged... checked it with a voltmeter and it was way above the recommended standby recharge voltage and it had a manufacture date of 6 months prior to the install date.

I was able to use my old battery tender so that was a plus. I needed to get the copper post kit for the LT and that was like adding a extra power strip. I have yet to attach the tender and I have let it sit for at least three weeks without starting while I was out of town. Turned over better than my original wet cell coming off the charger.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 23 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:52 pm

I bought my battery from www.ebatteriestogo.com. Great price (around $75 and free shipping). Has been really good.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #6 of 23 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:04 pm

Some think the Odyssey is the best battery, But who really knows..

I just got (last year) a generic AGM from the local warehouse for 40 bucks and plan to replace it every two or three years.. I won't wait for it to get crappy before I replace it. I'll just move it to the riding mower and it'll probably last until the next one comes along. Then I'll just recycle the oldest one.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you choose I'm sure will be OK!

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I bought an ODYSSEY this season. ----------------------------------------I needed to get the copper post kit for the LT -------------------------------------
You do not need any kind of adapter if you just bend the negative cable end straight as most of us have done when using the Odyssey.

My vote for best is Osyssey AGM. I would stay away from any Gel battery, they are not nearly as good as AGM in my opinion. They don't hold charge over long periods as the AGM does, and require a different Battery Tender if one likes to use them. I never put a charger on the AGM batteries I used.

I took an Odyssey out of my LT once that I just decided to replace with a new one, and it sat on my garage floor for over a year. I got a riding tractor from my neighbor when he moved, and shortly afterward the battery died. I measured the voltage on the old Odyssey and it was still good! Put it in the tractor and was amazed that it spun the engine over like it was new! When I moved a couple years later, that tractor still started great, and it sat for weeks at a time, never charged the old Odyssey.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:28 am

I got an Odyssey battery from a battery shop about a mile from my house. It only cost me about $75.00 then but it has been about 3 years now, so the prices may be more now.
post #9 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 8:27 am

I bought a PC680 two months ago to replace the one that was in there. It is the only battery I have used so I cannot compare it to the others but I do like it.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 9:15 am

I tend to agree that Gel cell batteries are not as good when it comes to temperature extremes as lead acid ones.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #11 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I bought a PC680 two months ago to replace the one that was in there. It is the only battery I have used so I cannot compare it to the others but I do like it.
And I'm using your old PC680! It sat in the parking lot at TTA without a battery tender from Monday morning to Saturday morning when it started the motor easily. Why did you replace it anyway?

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #12 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
You do not need any kind of adapter if you just bend the negative cable end straight as most of us have done when using the Odyssey.

My vote for best is Osyssey AGM. I would stay away from any Gel battery, they are not nearly as good as AGM in my opinion. They don't hold charge over long periods as the AGM does, and require a different Battery Tender if one likes to use them. I never put a charger on the AGM batteries I used.

I took an Odyssey out of my LT once that I just decided to replace with a new one, and it sat on my garage floor for over a year. I got a riding tractor from my neighbor when he moved, and shortly afterward the battery died. I measured the voltage on the old Odyssey and it was still good! Put it in the tractor and was amazed that it spun the engine over like it was new! When I moved a couple years later, that tractor still started great, and it sat for weeks at a time, never charged the old Odyssey.
I have just purchased and installed Odyssey PC680. ($100) Worked like a charm. It came with terminal set which looks like BMW battery terminals. So, I did not have to bend any leads at all. It is almost like drop in replacement.
Thank you very much for your feedbacks.

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #13 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
I have just purchased and installed Odyssey PC680. ($100) Worked like a charm. It came with terminal set which looks like BMW battery terminals. So, I did not have to bend any leads at all. It is almost like drop in replacement.
Thank you very much for your feedbacks.
Do you think that is something that is furnished with the PC680 now, or something supplied by the vendor you bought it from? It would be nice to know that Odyssey is supplying the adapters now, since the PC680 is used more in BMW motorcycles than anything else.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #14 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Do you think that is something that is furnished with the PC680 now, or something supplied by the vendor you bought it from? It would be nice to know that Odyssey is supplying the adapters now, since the PC680 is used more in BMW motorcycles than anything else.
Seems me that is something that is furnished with the PC680 now. I purchased from Odyssey dealer in Scottsdale Arizona, not from the BMW dealer.

Sunbelt Battery Company
602 N. Hayden Rd.
Scottsdale, Arizona 85257
Toll Free 1-800-350-8068
(480) 968-8068
(480) 968-9868 Fax

Matt Kas

"Riding Year around"

post #15 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
Seems me that is something that is furnished with the PC680 now. I purchased from Odyssey dealer in Scottsdale Arizona, not from the BMW dealer.

Sunbelt Battery Company
602 N. Hayden Rd.
Scottsdale, Arizona 85257
Toll Free 1-800-350-8068
(480) 968-8068
(480) 968-9868 Fax
That is good news for BMW owners! If it is supplied by Odyssey, it will probably be some time before all the previous stock is cleared from all suppliers, and the adapters will be considered "standard" from any source.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #16 of 23 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
And I'm using your old PC680! It sat in the parking lot at TTA without a battery tender from Monday morning to Saturday morning when it started the motor easily. Why did you replace it anyway?
Uh-Oh, almost afraid to ask . . . Did the one I brought by fail you?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #17 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 9:14 am

Quote:
John, I hope that it will last you six more years.
I was installing (OK, not really me but a friend) an Autocom unit and after all was said and done, the bike would not start. I tried everything I could think of and posted on here my tale of woe. The replies I got were kill switch, reverse, key not on... I had everything but a green neutral light and even the gear indicator would work. Messed with ALL the fuses, lit a candle, fresh chicken on the full moon, battery tender, you name it. Finally one day I moved the barrel connectors under the rear seat and volia. Everything was good and I had already put the new battery in so I took the less than two year old battery to Grif because I knew somebody could use it.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:31 am

Fresh chicken ?.

That`s where you went wrong.

Needs to be at least 5 days old to work.
post #19 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
John, I hope that it will last you six more years.
I was installing (OK, not really me but a friend) an Autocom unit and after all was said and done, the bike would not start. I tried everything I could think of and posted on here my tale of woe. The replies I got were kill switch, reverse, key not on... I had everything but a green neutral light and even the gear indicator would work. Messed with ALL the fuses, lit a candle, fresh chicken on the full moon, battery tender, you name it. Finally one day I moved the barrel connectors under the rear seat and volia. Everything was good and I had already put the new battery in so I took the less than two year old battery to Grif because I knew somebody could use it.
Well, it all goes around and comes around, don't it? Thanks man!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #20 of 23 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Fresh chicken ?.

5 day old chicken? That's really foul!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #21 of 23 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Fresh chicken ?.

Opps, my bad. I used the special dagger to kill it so it was fresh.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #22 of 23 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 9:09 am

Quote:
Well, it all goes around and comes around, don't it? Thanks man!
May it last you many years.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #23 of 23 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Lots of INFO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in