Trickle charger for 05 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Trickle charger for 05 LT

Any recommendations on which trickle charger to use for the 05. I have a trickle charger I use for my other bikes but I believe I read somewhere that the 05 has a gel battery and requires a different charger.
Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
Any recommendations on which trickle charger to use for the 05. I have a trickle charger I use for my other bikes but I believe I read somewhere that the 05 has a gel battery and requires a different charger.
Thanks all
You will most likely get a lot of recommendations other than this one, but FWIW, I have the 'newest' BMW charger that handles all batteries i.e. wet, gel, AGM, and the CANBUS as well. The LT doesn't have the CANBUS, but the newer cycles 12GS, 12S, 12R do, and if you elect to charge thru the PowerLet plug then the new charger needed for the CANBUS models. It's expensive at 100 bucks or so, but so was the '05LT.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:36 am

If you go the Battery Tender route you would need to go with a Battery Tender Plus part # 021-0128.

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:53 am

Garage
I have the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System made by Deltran Battery Tender for BMW. I charge through the power socket by the left foot. It is part # 99 99 0 005 656 and cost me $63.20 from Chcago BMW. Hope this helps.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:14 am

Ditto on the Beemer charger. I use it on my Vstrom as well and works great.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:24 am

Smile

I also have and like the BMW charger

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 1:15 pm

If, like my bike, you don't have a gel battery, Bell makes a nice trickle charger/battery conditioner that is sold through Wal-mart for $18. I use it for all my bikes and a quad. Works great.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 1:40 pm

Ever wonder..

Ever wonder what fanciful electronics our K1200LT has to handle the "charging" of our Gell Batteries when "underway".???

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Many argue that BMW didn't change the alternator, so why should they buy a special charger? My understanding is that the gel batteries are sensitive to over-voltage conditions during charging. The cheapo units don't usually have the extra regulatory circuits (which cost more), so you may get well over 14 Vdc. That may be fine for lead acid batteries, but can damage gel batteries. The LT's alternator is designed to limit its voltage output, so you don't have the same problems that you might with a plug-in charger.

So use whatever you're comfortable with on your own bike, but don't compare differing technologies (alternator versus plug-in charger) and claim that they're all the same. Besides, the charger costs roughly what on new battery does, so in the long run it's no big deal.

Personally, I just lock the forks every time I get off the bike (to minimize parasitic current drain). My LT has sat for 2-3 weeks while I've been away on business, and it always starts right up. I even sold my official BMW gel battery charger, since I hadn't even opened the package in more than a year. If you live in a place where it will sit for months through winter, then the price of a decent charger is a small investment. Otherwise, Just Ride It and it'll never go dead.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 1:10 pm

charger

Once again....the BMW new charger gets my vote. The new charger handles my 2005 gels and the traditional ones as well. I also have the previous model that I used on my 2003 and is still fine but does not work on the gel.

If anyone is interested on my BMW charger for non gels...let me know...all you have to do is name your price and pay shipping.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA

Last edited by airborne; Nov 24th, 2005 at 1:13 pm. Reason: added statment
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
I have the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System made by Deltran Battery Tender for BMW. I charge through the power socket by the left foot. It is part # 99 99 0 005 656 and cost me $63.20 from Chcago BMW. Hope this helps.
How come nobody mentions the BEST unit for a BMW, the chargeX solid-state charger from Kisan ?
Quote:
chargeX incorporates a step-charging system, meaning if the battery voltage is low more power is supplied to the battery. As the voltage increases to the fully charged condition, the amount of power supplied to the battery decreases until it is completely turned off.

This "smart" charger is built to handle all types of batteries - lead-acid, Gell-cell or AGM. Upon detection of which type, it adjusts to the higher voltage necessary for the Gell-cell and AGM batteries.
at:http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=5 (towards the bottom of the page)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it." George Bernard Shaw

[Ours]
[Gone and forgotten]
YeeHaa
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 9:43 pm

real simple,,,The BMW one is very good,,,,,,,,,,,Regards Pete
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
If you go the Battery Tender route you would need to go with a Battery Tender Plus part # 021-0128.
For the BMW "True Gell" battery, as installed in the 05 LT, the correct Deltran charger P/N is 021-0156
It has the proper charger programming for BMW "True Gell" batteries.
(dont ask me how I know )

Not for use on the new CanBuss bikes

*Spring City*
Suzuki T500

Last edited by VikingRider; Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:15 am.
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 5:19 pm

Lightbulb

I thought after listening to yet another discussion about trickle chargers, that I would take a few measurements so that there would be some data to back up these discussions.

Disclaimer: I am not implying anything bad about any particular brand of charger.

Bike: BMW K1200 LTC
Year: 2003
Battery: Universal AGM (gel type) 22Amp-hour battery
Charger: Walmart Ever-start trickle charger
Cost: $17.00
Measured voltages:
Battery fully charged: 12.6 - 12.9 VDC
Battery on trickle charger: 13.2 VDC (max)
Battery with Bike running: 14.2 VDC (max)

I was going to repeat this test with my OEM wet type battery installed, but:
1) It was too damn cold today
2) The OEM battery is kind of weak, (which is why I replaced it), so I didn't think it would be an "apples-to-apples" comparision.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 5:34 pm

Just got a new Odyssey battery for my LT - guy at the shop I got it from suggested one of these for it:

1.5 Amp Automatic Battery Companion

Got it for 'bout $30 - cheaper than online! Her personaly 'guaranteed' it'd not only do the job, but wouldn't damage the battery if it was left connected for a long, long time.

By the by - this shop, that's all they do - sell batteries and batt maintenance gear. The Schumacher does a variable charge voltage depending on the charge condition of the battery.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Nov 25th, 2005 at 6:14 pm.
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingRider
For the BMW "True Gell" battery, as installed in the 05 LT, the correct Deltran charger P/N is 021-0156
It has the proper charger programming for BMW "True Gell" batteries.
(dont ask me how I know )

Not for use on the new CanBuss bikes
Since I sell Battery Tenders from Deltran and I can't find that part #, I placed a call into them yesterday to find out the "low down" on Battery Tender's and BMW "True Gell batteries". I'll post what I find out.
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

BMW - it is

Getting the BMW model thanks to all for the advice and to a board member who had one he wanted to sell. I bought.
Thanks all
post #18 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 1:01 pm

I got my call returned today from Battery Tender and VikingRider is correct with the part # he supplied. Although Battery Tender Plus part # 021-0128 will charge a gel battery you apparently get better results using Part #021-0156. I just love when a company keeps me informed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in