Battery woes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Battery woes

I have the OE battery in my 2004 LT and I think it's getting tired. I suppose it's a Gel model. Somebody gave me a BMW branded maintainer spec'd for the Gel, and I have used it fairly often. A couple of times I have let the thing run down when I forgot to switch the key to lock ( My sirius and gps get power in the R position). I have noticed that the beast starts a little slowly some mornings when I have not plugged in the maintainer. And when idling for a long stop light, the idle speed will pick up a bit, which indicates a low voltage. So I bought one of these units, hooked it to the map light wires, and stuck the remote LED into the back of the map light itself. It shines through nicely, and no need to drill a hole. The light will remind me to lock the lock from now on! Even if I forget for a while, the light pulls only 20 mils.

LED Heads Up Voltage Monitor.

The specs on the Custom Dynamics site are wrong.
They are, per Signal Dynamics:
Steady Green - Above 12.9
Steady Amber - Above 12.6
Steady Red - Above 12.1
Flashing Red - Below 12 VDC During this condition, if the engine is running, do not shut down until service can be provided. Restart of engine is unlikely. Reduce electrical load.

This morning, the light was red when I put the key to R. When I put it to On, it flashed red. I thumbed the starter, and she turned over slowly and started. Then the light turned green. When I got to work, I stopped in my spot, and let it idle. It quickly went to amber, then to red as I sat there.

So I think I'll pull the battery out tonight, and put it on a 2 amp automatic charger and let it fill up, and see if it works any better. I wonder if I should just order a battery, or if the charging system is working properly. Thoughts anyone?

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:15 pm

Bite the bullet, Rev. It's time. And until the new one shows up, stay away from 'reverse'!! Good luck, Bud.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Bite the bullet, Rev. It's time. And until the new one shows up, stay away from 'reverse'!! Good luck, Bud.
Thanks bro. I was thinking I'd try one of the Panasonic's.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 2:05 pm

I have Bone's Odyssey sitting in my gearage and it still has some life to it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Oh? Could you ship it, or bring it to CCR?

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 2:38 pm

John,

I've got a good battery sitting here in the garage, fully charged and ready to go. Please put it in your bike until you get around to getting a new battery, that way we won't have to worry about you getting stranded (and heckled) for leaving the old battery in your bike.
I
You can pick it up, or I can drop it off, whichever works better for you.

Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
John,

I've got a good battery sitting here in the garage, fully charged and ready to go. Please put it in your bike until you get around to getting a new battery, that way we won't have to worry about you getting stranded (and heckled) for leaving the old battery in your bike.
I
You can pick it up, or I can drop it off, whichever works better for you.

Tony
You are the man! Can you meet at the H8 tomorrow for lunch? Steve might be able to meet us there, too.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:05 pm

Sounds great, but dunno if I can get away from work long enough to go; for that matter, dunno if I'm going to feel up to going to work.

If I can't make it, I can leave the battery in the back next to the garage door, or I can leave it in the house and our housekeeper can let you in.

If you want, feel free to stop by this evening to pick it up so you have a relaible ride to work in the morning.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds great, but dunno if I can get away from work long enough to go; for that matter, dunno if I'm going to feel up to going to work.

If I can't make it, I can leave the battery in the back next to the garage door, or I can leave it in the house and our housekeeper can let you in.

If you want, feel free to stop by this evening to pick it up so you have a relaible ride to work in the morning.
I'll call you this evening. Thanks bro.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:24 pm

H8 tomorrow for lunch? HHMMM!

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
H8 tomorrow for lunch? HHMMM!
Come on over ya big ole Cajun!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
Oh? Could you ship it, or bring it to CCR?
PM me your address.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:01 am

Quote:
I knew it would be useful but not that quickly.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Tony, thanks so much for bringing the battery by the house. It was reassuring to hear the motor spin over quickly again after our first gas stop! The willingness of our forum members to help each is what makes this place great. I'm glad you are a part of it.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
PM me your address.
Thanks brother man!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:54 pm

It's Bones, man, Bones.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I knew it would be useful but not that quickly.
Thanks brother man!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
Thanks brother man!
It's just two years old but throw it on the charger for a bit. Enjoy.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in