Battery Concern please advise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Question Battery Concern please advise

1.)I have had my battery go dead on two occasion. I do not know if it is my fault. I would turn the key to on position sometimes for several minutes while I fumble around getting ready before starting my bike. The light and PIAA lights are on and battery looses juice quickly. Is this normal? Do I have to be that conscious of starting bike immediately when key is in the on position? I used the battery tender and recharge the battery the day before this occurence. After popping the clutch or getting jump start and riding bike for awhile Bike starts OK if I immediately put key to on position and depress starter. Please advise if I need a new Battery. This Battery is same battery that came with the bike two years ago.

2.)Secondly do they make a jumper cable that you can jump the Bike by connecting to the AC outlet on the lower left side of the front fairing?( same place where you put battery tender)

3.)How important is it to check the gremlins like heated seats and grips switches are off? Do they drain battery. Plugging in my Vest on trips does this put drain battery although bike is started. I thought alternator takes over at that time and energize the battery.

Thanks for any input you can offer

Hulkster 2002 BMW K1200LTE (17000 mi) Hulkster Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:30 am

I think that you have a battery issue. I can turn my bike to the full on, i.e. start position with HID and MotoLights lit, and hit the starter switch after 5 minutes and have the bike kick right over. My question is, Do you turn the switch to the second off position where it locks the the front end?? If not, then I think there is some residule drain there and it has the possibility of draining the battery over night.

I am not a battery guru nor do I play one on a television, but it there is a strong possibility that I will stay at a Holiday Inn tonight.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks Steve,

I will get the battery looked at. I do put key in steering lock position when I am off her.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:17 am

2.)Secondly do they make a jumper cable that you can jump the Bike by connecting to the AC outlet on the lower left side of the front fairing?( same place where you put battery tender)

I doubt if the DC socket is designed to handle the current/amperage that will flow when you hit the starter. Same for whatever plug you can get for the socket. The voltage stays the same (there is a slight voltage drop when the starter is engaged).

Bob
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:47 am

You are correct. The wiring to the accessory sockets is WAY too small, and the connector itself is rated for much lower amperage than starting the bike takes. If I remember correctly, the accessory plugs are rated for 10-15 amps max, starting likely draws somewhere between 30-50 amps, depending on temps, etc. I never measured starting current though, just guessing.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

I took my LTE to MAX BMW today. Battery was replaced. Tony who is manager of service that Bob's BMW and A&S BMW have the jumper cables for for the LT that hooks into the AC outlet in the left front upper fairing. I am searching now. Tony stated they modified to work for the K1200 LT.. I will be calling these dealers to to get me one.

Hulkster BMW2002 K1200 LTE Hulster Green
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:58 pm

I have a hard time believing a dealer would use the accessory socket to start the LT! Sure way to fry a harness, or at best blow a fuse. I guess if the engine started RIGHT AWAY one is lucky, but if it takes more than a couple rotations of the engine I would bet that a fuse would blow. I doubt that the wiring to the accessory socket is no larger than US 16 gauge, 14 max. Surely not large enough for starting current. At best it will cause a pretty large voltage drop so the starter would see considerably less than 12 volts.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:31 pm

I'm sure that he is talking about recharging the battery or assisting it in starting when it is not totally dead via the use of the plug. There is now way in the world you could use that plug and its thinner wiring for starting purposes when your battery is dead.

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:41 am

Nobody answered your 3rd question ... this site that Zotter found explains the drain and charge issues pretty well ...
http://www.largiader.com/articles/battery.html

While cleaning my bike this evening turned on the key to move the windshield in the up position and was enjoying the music ... ran in the house "for a second" ... and you guessed it, got tied up and forgot until checking later and finding her on the 'death throws' of low battery charge!

Had her on a 12V charger for a couple hours now and seems to be okay.

Aside that, had a GREAT ride today ... looks like a good week and MORE riding opportunities! Can hardly wait for MORE warmer weather!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in