Battery Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Question Battery Question

I am starting to think my orig BMW gel battery may be headed south...slow starts in the AM about 20-30 degrees here....but it starts and quickly goes into a little bit of fast idle....am thinking of the Odyssey pc680 but also see a PC680M( i think thats it)..anyway...it retails for 85 and 95 respectively...question is what is the difference...also is there some sort of modification needed?..also...is that a good price?...and is it ok to disconnect the battery and will i need to reset any codes or anything?...I have an 03 LTC...tks Mikey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 6:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The 680 and 680MJ are the same battery, except that the MJ has a metal jacket. This isn't necessary, but doesn't hurt either, so get whatever one is available.

The battery should fit into the same spot as the factory battery without any trouble. Some people have added adapters to the battery terminals to make it easier to get to the cables, and to add a few more cables, but those aren't strictly needed.

After swapping out the battery, you should reset the throttle position sensor. Turn the key on but don't start the bike. Turn the throttle full open then full closed, then go open and closed again. Then start the bike and ride off.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 7:04 pm

Mikey,

I don't know where you're located but I had to replace my battery and got the Odyssey from BatterysPlus. Here is the page with the batteries they have for the KLT. http://www.batteriesplus.com/findBat...d=524524242424
They had it in stock and took my old one off my hands. Use there zip code finder for a location near you. Call them for a price. I think mine cost me $85ish out the door.

David

1999 K1200LTS

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 7:23 am Thread Starter

tks folks.....also will the battery tender w/the BMW plug still work on the odyssey?....
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 7:24 am
Senior Member (ret.)

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 8:52 am

Just a WalMart battery

For the sake of throwing a fly in the ointment...this past year I replaced my stock battery with the BMW gel battery. Purt-n-near cost me $100! Ouch! Next time, I think I'll go up to Wally World and see if they have a 12v battery that is the same size, and give it a whirl. After all...12 volts is 12 volts, right? And if it costs me under $50...I think I'm ahead of the game. The question is, will I actually do it when the time cometh? I can't answer that today.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 8:17 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The 680 and 680MJ are the same battery, except that the MJ has a metal jacket. This isn't necessary, but doesn't hurt either, so get whatever one is available.

The battery should fit into the same spot as the factory battery without any trouble. Some people have added adapters to the battery terminals to make it easier to get to the cables, and to add a few more cables, but those aren't strictly needed.

After swapping out the battery, you should reset the throttle position sensor. Turn the key on but don't start the bike. Turn the throttle full open then full closed, then go open and closed again. Then start the bike and ride off.
I'm late to the party as usual....

Ken, are the adapters you mentioned required, or a matter of convenience? It sounds like from your comment that the factory cables will work without the adapters, but they may be a bit of a PITA....

I am running things through a Blue Sea fuse box, so farkles shouldn't be a problem. Just don't know if (or how easy) the 'factory' cables will work.

Also, for the uneducated, what advantage is the Metal Jacket?

My '03 has the gel battery and has been slow to start the bike in the 20 degree weather even though I plug her in to the charger every night.

Thanks in advance...

Ok, I answered part of my own post --- "The PC680MJ (MJ=Metal Jacket), means the battery is housed in a metal jacket. This enables the battery withstand higher ambient temperatures. The PC680MJ is rated to withstand temperatures of 176 degrees Fahrenheit vs. the standard PC680 is rated at 140 degrees Fahrenheit."

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204

Last edited by gulfxray; Dec 18th, 2005 at 8:35 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in