Ignition Key light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old May 8th, 2007, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Ignition Key light

OK. How many of you LT riders have the key with the built in light (for finding the key hole in the dark)?

I do and the battery (or light) is defective. So, no light. Of course the battery is not an easy thing to find, but I'm sure the BMW dealer has them (for a price) and if you're willing to wait for them to order it.

Anyway, in searching for a battery to replace, I stumbled across this post to an automotive BMW forum. http://e30.bmwdiy.info/key-led/. This is instructions for converting the incandescent lamp to an LED, changing the battery to a lithium (longer life) battery and coming up with one that will last much longer than the originals. Requires some soldering.

Question 2. Has anyone else found this and tried it? Were you successful? Did you change to other components than the Radio Shack ones mentioned?

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old May 8th, 2007, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Success

I love it when this happens.

I used the info in my original post, stopped by Radio Shack on the way home, purchased a 3V Lithium battery the same diameter as my V 625 U battery. Two companies at least make a replacement for the 625, including Kodak and Ray-O-Vac. Don't know the other manufacturers, but RS had one tonight that the sales clerk last night couldn't find. Oh well. I also bought a 3000 NCD (?) LED bulb. It is a 5mm bulb. The battery is thinner than the original, but works OK. The way I did it was to put a piece of double sided tape on the battery negative side (fits against the roundel) and the reassembled. The battery doesn't fit inside the roundel, thus the double sided tape to hold it in place. And, since no electrical contact takes place on that side of the battery, no real problem having the tape there. The Radio shack part numbers are: 2300164 - Lithium Cr1620 battery, and 2760307 5mm Red LED 3000 MCD. I removed the incandescent lamp, fitted the LED in its place, soldered the leads in place and then tested it. Worked perfectly. I reassembled it and viola! Now, the best part of this is, since it is a Red light, it won't destroy your night vision when you need to use it. An added bonus.

I don't really know how long this battery LED combo is supposed to last, but from what I've heard, it might outlast me.

Just remember. Short lead from the LED connects to the metal piece under the spring and the long lead to the metal part that touches the bulb.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in