Which BMW Battery Charger? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Which BMW Battery Charger?

I went to the dealer today to pick up a BMW battery charger for my '06.

The sales rep was about to sell me one charger (part #99990005656) when another sales rep who seemed to be more of an expert told me that I needed a different charger (part #71607688865). Supposedly this 716 part number is the right one for newer LT models like the '06.

Here are some links to the two battery charger models:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1357

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2678

Should both of these work with my '06 LT?

Ray

2006 K1200LT Storm Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 3:48 pm

Shame you don't live in the UK - you can buy a battery tender for sealed (gel cell or AGM) for about 17 sterling ($30 US (not sure in Canadian)) - works beautifully - the hype built up by BM regarding battery tenders is unreal - just go to your local auto parts store (in the UK - Halfords) - and pick up a trickle charger - it's not a 'Black Art' as BM would like you to think.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 3:48 pm

I believe you should have the GEL battery in your bike. You want the charger for the Gel battery.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2007, 8:28 am

I also have an "06 LT and have never really been clear on what type of charger to use. I have a Battery Tender that I used on my previous bike and have been using that on the LT. It doesn't say it's for gel type batteries, but then I don't know if my battery is gel type. General Manager at the dealership said the Battery Tender I have would work fine on my bike. Totally confused. How do I sort through all of this and do the right thing?

Ray
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:20 am

I was looking at them at Carolina Euro and the svc mgr told me the one they had would charge ALL types of batteries. Not sure which charger they had but it was like $85.

That would be great to have one charger for either battery type.

randy
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 1:23 pm

I bought a B & D charger at Wal Mart for under $20. It said suitable for gel type batteries. I hooked it up to my 1150 RT (does NOT have Canbus) with both a volt meter and ammeter in the circuit. It is hooked directly to the battery with the provided rings / harness and it charges within the parameters given by BMW for the gel batts ... I'm a very happy camper with that cost savings ... cheaper than a BMW or ePay charger ... actually bought another charger for my museum piece truck as well!

This is NOT and endorsement, just my experiences ... YMMV.

Last edited by mefly2; Mar 27th, 2007 at 1:49 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Dealer where I bought my '05 sells non-BMW chargers. Told me that as long as my BatteryTender was 1.25, that I would be fine with the gel battery. Bought one from him to be safe. Got home, realized that the tender I already had was 1.25, and dealer gladly gave full refund on the unopened unit.

Of course, I just HAD to spend that found money on something else, no way I was going to walk out of a motorcycle shop with more money than I walked in with. To much precedent existed to the contrary!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 8:49 am

Battery Tender/Canbus

I had a ten-or-more year old Battery Tender I used generously over the time I owned, connected to the pigtail which I mounted to the battery posts.
When I acquired my '07 F800S, I called Battery Tender (was Deltrans) after calling the dealer about what kind of battery I had.

They told me 1) because my F800S had an AGM battery, I would use a different kind of charger then a gel battery would. and 2) once connected to the battery, the bike does not care what kind of charger is connected so long as it is a trickle one.

The BMW charger at the first link you show, is a BMW OEM-made Battery Tender that MUST be connected to the battery. The second charger is the one for the Canbus system, AND IT CONNECTED TO THE CANBUS SOCKET ON THE BIKE.

If you want that convenience, buy #2! If you are willing to connect the pigtail to your battery buy a Battery Tender made for your battery type (call Battery Tender and ask them).

If I had to do all over again, I might have bought #2, but my dealer told me it was a $300+ item; vs. a $39.95 upgrade of my Battery Tender (they do that, even on a ten or more year old BT). On the other hand, the dealer service department did a slick job mounting the pigtail for me; because my battery is not under seat, the pigtail was too short to reach under the seat. The service guy cut the cables, used nice cabling as an insert and heat crimped an extension to it in, so it now does. It works, but a socket plug-in might be better.

Tweety1
Scottsdale, AZ
R1200S -
, MOA 24434, started in '68 on Dad's R50/2. It was mine later.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:49 am

Battery Tender Plus is good for gel and lead acid type batteries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in