Cigarette outlet in the oddments box - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Cigarette outlet in the oddments box

I've done quite a bit of forum searching on adding a cigarette outlet to the oddments box, and haven't run across anyone who's actually installed an outlet in a "panel mount" style that doesn't take up additional room in the oddments box.

I'd like to be able to plug in my iPod charger or cell phone charger inside the oddments box, to keep it accessible yet weather-proof. I thought about installing an outlet at the end of a cable inside the box, but that would just use up more of what's already limited space.

So I'm almost done with my panel-mount install and will post pics once I get it hooked up and tested.

Anyone else ever tried this?

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I didn't install an outlet in the oddments box, but I've put an amp in the stingray, over the radio - I used the (switched) feed to the com system (also lurking under the stingray) to power it. I've installed a ciggy outlet in the top case/trunk/boot - this is fed from the rear power socket (if you unravel the cable sleeving to it, you will find another power connector (used if you have 2 power outlets)). I have a 'universal' power adaptor from Maplins (similar to Radio Shack/Tandy in the States (not sure what they're called in Oz)), from which I charge my Phone, iPod, and camera batteries. I have also fitted a DAB radio receiver in there, which has an AUX input, to which I can connect a pod. I have run the 'audio out' from this through the oddments box, with a connector in there, so I can plug the pod directly into it. I've also just bought an RF remote for the pod, so which ever of the two locations I have it in, I can still control it remotely.

(piccies of the DAB setup)

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917 (post 15)

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 3:53 pm

I have instaled a portable outlet in my oddiments box. When not in use the plug is in the top box or tool box. When I need it to charge phone or operate air compressor, I install outlet and plug in item, when finished I return parts to storage.

There are plugs that have a male/female outlet, I powered one and it stays in oddiments box, The other I connected to power outlet. so it doesnt fill up the oddiments box when not in use.

I am sorry I dont have pics at this time, I am a few hundred miles from the "Beerburner" right now.

attached is a photo of plug used
Attached Images

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Last edited by NOGILLS2; Nov 20th, 2006 at 4:22 pm.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 5:28 am Thread Starter

I initially thought about doing that - a removable adapter - but didn't like the idea of additional cubic inches consumed, plus having to disconnect/reconnect & keep up with yet another gizmo during my gear up/down routines.

Looks like my flush install will work out well - I'll post pics soon....

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

Re: Cigarette outlet in the oddments box

I just put one here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 002.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	35070  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in