BMW Gel Bat. charger? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 7:38 am Thread Starter

BMW Gel Bat. charger?

HI,
question on the BMW gel battery charger. The units green light flickers while connected to the bike. I see on the chart on the unit flasing green = a +80% charge.
Should the green light be a steady flashing if all is right and then go to a solid green or is this flickering green normal? It is hard to see that it is even lit.
The battery and charger are both about a year old and the battery is a bmw gel battery. Thanks Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

My charger is usually red when I first plug it in. It then goes to a flashing green and finally to a solid green.

This may take up to 24 hours. This is a tapered current charger and doesn't "jolt" the gel cell.
I left it on all last winter, and the bike started up first try in the Spring!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 6 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 2:22 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile 71 60 7 688 864

There are 6 LED's.
On the power side two
Green for "Power"
Red for test of unit. "Error"
On the battery side four to indicate charge state.
Red "0"
Yellow "1/3"
Yellow "2/3"
Green "3/3"
Can't say I've seen any of them flickering, but it works well.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Unhappy two types of BMW chargers for GEL

The whole Gel vs. AGM and the right charger is quite unclear to me. From what I can see BMW has two Gel chargers: one that looks like a fish tank pump (color blue, the grey one is for AGM batteries) and one that looks like a battery tender by deltran (becuase it is made for BMW by Deltran). From what I can gather, both chargers work fine for gel batteries but the deltran version needs to be connected to the battery directly to the poles if you have a bike with the new can-bus electrical system (meaning you sould not charge it through the accessory socket). The fish tank type charger should allow you to charge through the socket without damaging the can-bus, but now I can't find them for sale. To further complicate the issue there is much confusion about which battery is in which bike. I have seen posts were people say that if your bike is 2005 or newer it will come with a AGM battery. This is not true. I have an '05 R1200RT that came with a gel and I know somone with an '06 that came with a gel. Even dealer and official BMW info conflict in this area. I am so confused......

Andrew Kordon
Minneapolis
'05 R1200RT
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Processor Failed

Thanks for all the input....
I called Deltran today and talked with a very helpful rep that told me when the charger is plugged in to the outlet the red indicator should light first.
Mine did nothing the unit was less that a year old and he told me to return it to the place of purchase or send it to them.
I returned it to the dealer and he did an exchange no problem. I did need the receipt which I did have.
The tech explained some of the BMW bikes have the power outlet that can turn off or power down if the bike is not turned on for a set period of time but was unsure of the time frame. In this case he recommended the charger be connected directly to the battery.
Denny
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:39 pm

I have a BMW Gel battery on an '03LTC and have been using the deltran version for almost 2 years. Mine always has started up solid red and then it goes to green blinking and then solid green. That usually occurs within 12 hours.

Never had a problem with it. That is the succession it should be from what I understand. I also have another deltran tender for our other bike, a 96 magna. It works perfectly like that as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in