Plastic Flex Conduit & Wiring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Plastic Flex Conduit & Wiring

Has anyone run either 1/2" or 3/4" plastic flexible conduit from under the seat to the front of the bike? This is so that you do not have to strip the bike every time you want to run wires. And, which side did you install this?

Also, does anyone sell multi-conductor 12v wiring? Currently I am using "120v lamp" wiring for a couple of items and would like to clean up my "rats nest" in the near future.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:50 pm

If you get down on your hands and knees and look up under the front of the fairing, There's a hollow space that runs from the front left side under the fuel tank and comes out under and behind the fuel tank under the drivers seat, it's difficult to find but worth the effort.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 10 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:56 pm

Wiring

Have you thought about using the sort of cable that they use for lighting boards on trailers?
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...es/cables.html

will give you an idea of what I mean.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 5:09 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Has anyone run either 1/2" or 3/4" plastic flexible conduit from under the seat to the front of the bike? This is so that you do not have to strip the bike every time you want to run wires. And, which side did you install this?

Also, does anyone sell multi-conductor 12v wiring? Currently I am using "120v lamp" wiring for a couple of items and would like to clean up my "rats nest" in the near future.
Have run lots of conduit. Works really well. Memory beings what it is, (I think) I run 6 14ga. wires in one and 7 18ga. in the other. Runs quite nicely under the tank. Multi conductor cable isn't really necessary when using conduit. I used different colors in singles and it turned out great. At this point there is still a few spare wires for future development.
HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050312.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	6937  

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:13 am

Thumbs up Dman - Conduit type/source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
Have run lots of conduit. Works really well. HTH
Dman,

Good tips and pics. Is the conduit you used the "split" type or is it solid? All the conduit I see in shops around here is split. If you used solid, where did you find it? Is pulling an additional circuit or two possible (space permitting) after the corrugated conduit is in place?

Thanks.

Bob in Indy

K12LT Black "Elvira"
'76 R75/6 "Old Blue"
Knights of the Roundel #333
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

While I was at West Marine purchasing my bluesea fuse block, someone showed me some white solid flex conduit. I figure that I will be able to fish wires through this at any time. I will be installing this next Saturday, so I cannot answer if it will work or not. It looks something like this:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...llpartial/15/0

It is about 5/8" ID and cost approximately $2.80 LF. If you want I can provide you with the part number when I get home from work.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #8 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Mike,
Thanks for posting the West Marine info. After you install and feel you can recommend the 5/8" white solid conduit for the task, I'd appreciate the P/N detail. It's not an urgent request. My re-wire task is a winter project.
Thanks.

Bob in Indy

K12LT Black "Elvira"
'76 R75/6 "Old Blue"
Knights of the Roundel #333
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic
Dman,

Good tips and pics. Is the conduit you used the "split" type or is it solid? All the conduit I see in shops around here is split. If you used solid, where did you find it? Is pulling an additional circuit or two possible (space permitting) after the corrugated conduit is in place?

Thanks.
The conduit I used is split. It actually holds the wires rather secure. Used a solid only once and found out it is a pain to fish wires through especially with any length to it. The split type is easy to run multiples through and can "drop" a line at any point and continue on with the conduit.
I've never tried fishing another wire through once the harness was in place. On the split type, I doubt it would work.

Always run way more wires than you need, that way there is room for expansion.

Source for this was NAPA but I'm sure just about any parts house has / can get it. Various sizes starting at about 1/4" up to about 1". I buy it in 100 foot rolls. Can't remember the price but seems that it is inexpensive. HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050298.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	7133  

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 4:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional photo Duane. I was not going to take off the nose cone to run my conduit. I just want to make it a straight as possible run that I can. Your conduit looks too "factory". I do not think that my solid conduit would make all of those bends, let along allow me to fish wires through it.

My only concern with you running extra wires through your conduit for future use is that you have to leave a lot of extra slack on each end as you do not know what and where you will be making future connections.
Thanks again!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in