21 months.. instant death. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 12:38 am Thread Starter

21 months.. instant death.

21 months since purchase... less than a month on the showroom floor (22 months), 15k miles... on the charger more than 50 % of the time when not in use.

It died at the corner of 183 and 1431 in the HEB grocery parking lot. Absolutely no "warning".... just as my wife and I were headed to her company picnic in Marble Falls.

Thankfully she was in her car so off to Lonestar.. new Exide AGM about $125 out the door... and an hour and 30 minutes later battery is replaced, all farkles spring to life...

It's been 20 years since I had this instant battery failure on a motorcycle... even the HD's did better... you would get some weak cranking to warn you, but no outright failure...

Ah, well, we've come a long way in battery technology... I can only imagine how we'll get by on electric vehicles...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 6:46 am

When they short, they short right now. I have a really nice vise if you'd like to bring it over and hammer the goat breath out of it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #3 of 18 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

hehehe... thanks, Grif! I've seen that vise, it can put the squeeze on most anything! Yeah, it was just a surprise! a big surprise!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 18 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 8:58 pm

Angry

These dang new-fangled batteries! Just ain't the same since you can't pee in them anymore. That used to make them last a good long time!
post #5 of 18 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Me too

That's funny because mine did the same thing. Rode the bike Thursday nite and everything was fine. Got on her to run some errands on Friday and it was dead city...Glad it didn't happen on the CCR run..

I'm sure the PC680 that Batteries Plus want's 135.00 for is a good battery, But they tell me that the warranty is still just 1 year.... It that true ?

Probably am going to pick up a Yuasa at the local shop for 47.00 and just replace it every couple of years...Modern technology is not always better....

At least not that much better.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
Probably am going to pick up a Yuasa at the local shop for 47.00 and just replace it every couple of years...Modern technology is not always better....

At least not that much better.

John
For about 80 bones, sometimes a lot less, you can get an Odyssey Battery. They truly rock.

I hated checking the water on the battery in the LT, so I bought an Odyssey. Three years later I grew a leetle paranoid as I was fixing to leave on a trip, so I replaced it with another Odyssey. The old Odyssey went into the Kawasaki Mule, where it has been cranking to this day.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
For about 80 bones, sometimes a lot less, you can get an Odyssey Battery. They truly rock.

I hated checking the water on the battery in the LT, so I bought an Odyssey. Three years later I grew a leetle paranoid as I was fixing to leave on a trip, so I replaced it with another Odyssey. The old Odyssey went into the Kawasaki Mule, where it has been cranking to this day.
I have an Odyssey that is about one year. Should I still be good for another couple of years? I REALLY like the not checking the stupid fluid level.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #8 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I have an Odyssey that is about one year. Should I still be good for another couple of years? I REALLY like the not checking the stupid fluid level.
Yup - at least. You gotta Battery Tender? Getcha one and tie it on now and then, when you know you're not gonna be riding for a bit. And getcha one of those i4c volt display thangies to fit on your dash so you can keep the battery always in shape above 12.4V.

Toad wuz given one by the Grifster years ago and we've alwayz been good to go on the rather old Odyssey PC680. Click here after you getcher credit card out!!
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Dick, I was looking at the Odyssey, however, the Batteries Plus guy sez.. "some customization necessary"... yeah.. in a parking lot... that's not going to happen.. so I have a new Exide from the good folks at Lonestar...

Now, in another 18 months, I will replace this one before it does the dirty deed again. By that time I should have the "customization" figgered out...

Any input about what's needed for the 2005 "customization"?

(OH, and Dick, I guess they have the website down for maintenance.."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:30 am

You have to bend a terminal some, Thor.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
21 months since purchase... less than a month on the showroom floor (22 months), 15k miles... on the charger more than 50 % of the time when not in use.

It died at the corner of 183 and 1431 in the HEB grocery parking lot. Absolutely no "warning".... just as my wife and I were headed to her company picnic in Marble Falls.

Thankfully she was in her car so off to Lonestar.. new Exide AGM about $125 out the door... and an hour and 30 minutes later battery is replaced, all farkles spring to life...

It's been 20 years since I had this instant battery failure on a motorcycle... even the HD's did better... you would get some weak cranking to warn you, but no outright failure...

Ah, well, we've come a long way in battery technology... I can only imagine how we'll get by on electric vehicles...

The only batteries I found that lasted in the Harley were interstates, my '01 glide got one just voer a year old.

the lt has a ton more electrical draw than the Glides. The battery in my Lt did not last a year. and my bike does not even sit during the week.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yup - at least. You gotta Battery Tender? Getcha one and tie it on now and then, when you know you're not gonna be riding for a bit. And getcha one of those i4c volt display thangies to fit on your dash so you can keep the battery always in shape above 12.4V.

Toad wuz given one by the Grifster years ago and we've alwayz been good to go on the rather old Odyssey PC680. Click here after you getcher credit card out!!
Wow, that are really proud of those things. I remember seeing it on your bike.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Thor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You have to bend a terminal some, Thor.
My favorite Marvel Comics guy... he ROCKS! I am humbled at the comparison..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Wow, that are really proud of those things. I remember seeing it on your bike.
Somebody just posted a less expensive unit in another thread topic. Now I can't find it. I'll keep looking.
post #15 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Dick,
That Exide is NOT an AGM battery but a GEL which is much less suitable for use in our motorcycles.

Mick

Mick
Tucson
"Old and Slow" Sorta
post #16 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:19 pm

This happened to me too. I was in the drive through at my bank and of course there was a long line. Not wanting to waste fuel and watching the temp gauge climb, I shut the bike off. When the line moved forward I didn't ..deader then a doorknob. Ended up pushing the bike into the parking lot (one heavy bike!) I still had all the lights but the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. Luckily for me someone came and gave me a push to jump start it and away I went. $100 later and a new battery, problem solved
post #17 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmick
That Exide is NOT an AGM battery but a GEL which is much less suitable for use in our motorcycles.
BMW now specifies a Gel battery for the LT. When my factory lead acid battery died at one year old, they put the BMW Gel in it under warranty. Been fine for almost 3 years now.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Yup.. looks like this "battery" may be swapped by the one year mark, if it lasts that long...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in