Blue Sea or Equiv. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Blue Sea or Equiv.

Ok,
I have searched and searched and searched this site and have gotten COMPLETELY different answers to my questions from thread to thread, so I thought I would be redundant and have you all answer again and this way they will all be in the same thread...haha.

I am needing to order my fuse block for my bike. I still have the canister on the bike(but can remove, as I did on my RT) so the bike being stock...I would like to get a consensus on what brand AND MODEL of fuse blocks you all are using.

Please give me the pros and cons to your choice and if you would switch to another brand, what brand and why?

I have heard great things about Blue Sea, but on their site I am confused and not sure which to go with. So, would like to see what you got and any mods you had to make to utilize it.

Ari sent pix, the same he has posted on here, the fuse block he had to modify the positive leg by paralleling them all to one input. Things like this I would like to know. Again...I praise Ari for his tact and ingenuity.

I will be ordering this block in the next few days, I am also running a 10g from battery to fuse block. If this is not acceptable, please let me know. I am trying to get a consolidated "pile" of parts, electronics, etc, to include brakes, smartire etc. Taking the plastic off wasn't a big deal, but I truly despise removing the Jpegs and the 10,000 screws. I know I have to do it....I had one left over from the last time

Also...while looking at my possibilities...I am considering running everything through a strip relay board. I am just going through some small calcs for amp, current, and voltage issues now. I got my "Uglies" book out to determine a lot of this. I feel that I do not need a 5a relay, much like the motolights relays. I am really only supplying power for chargers, small draw power supplies, and LEDs, etc. Any ideas or suggestions on the relays you all are using?

Now when I get a rundown list of EVERYTHING EVERYONE has on their bike....then I can worry about more switches..but for now, I think I can utilize about 5 of the 6 Ari is getting for me.

Thanks in Advance.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Bill, I found about 15 of the small Blue Sea at our local "Academy" soprting goods store. I did not use it but I did find it =).. they were about $30.

10G to the fuse block sounds good if you have a "circuit breaker" coming off the battery terminal then the wire to the block.

I suggest before your next TP that you plan out your connections... such as running a switched and a non-switched wire to front and rear. That way you can easily add farkles...without a full TP!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 6:47 pm
Gold Supporter

Bill,

I can add a little, maybe...

I got my Blue Sea fuse box from the local West Marine - 12 circuit one.

I bought a large circuit breaker from these guys -- http://www.waytekwire.com/index.htm -- they have a lot of cool stuff, but I digress.

I used 10g wire to the Blue Sea fuse box.

Both sets of Hella lights I put on had their own relays -- don't recall the specs...

Regardless, you sure seem to have things thought out - that is the main thing. Slow and easy does it!

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204

post #4 of 26 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Ok,
I have searched and searched and searched this site and have gotten COMPLETELY different answers to my questions from thread to thread, so I thought I would be redundant and have you all answer again and this way they will all be in the same thread...haha.

I am needing to order my fuse block for my bike. I still have the canister on the bike(but can remove, as I did on my RT) so the bike being stock...I would like to get a consensus on what brand AND MODEL of fuse blocks you all are using.

Please give me the pros and cons to your choice and if you would switch to another brand, what brand and why?

I have heard great things about Blue Sea, but on their site I am confused and not sure which to go with. So, would like to see what you got and any mods you had to make to utilize it.

Ari sent pix, the same he has posted on here, the fuse block he had to modify the positive leg by paralleling them all to one input. Things like this I would like to know. Again...I praise Ari for his tact and ingenuity.

I will be ordering this block in the next few days, I am also running a 10g from battery to fuse block. If this is not acceptable, please let me know. I am trying to get a consolidated "pile" of parts, electronics, etc, to include brakes, smartire etc. Taking the plastic off wasn't a big deal, but I truly despise removing the Jpegs and the 10,000 screws. I know I have to do it....I had one left over from the last time

Also...while looking at my possibilities...I am considering running everything through a strip relay board. I am just going through some small calcs for amp, current, and voltage issues now. I got my "Uglies" book out to determine a lot of this. I feel that I do not need a 5a relay, much like the motolights relays. I am really only supplying power for chargers, small draw power supplies, and LEDs, etc. Any ideas or suggestions on the relays you all are using?

Now when I get a rundown list of EVERYTHING EVERYONE has on their bike....then I can worry about more switches..but for now, I think I can utilize about 5 of the 6 Ari is getting for me.

Thanks in Advance.
I pioneered the use of the Blue Sea unit, used the 12 circuit one, ran 10Ga wire from the battery, through a Relay and 30 Amp fuse. Powered the relay from the hot wire on the seat heater plug just under the nose of the seat on the left frame rail. I did not want most of the accessories powered all the time, only when the ignition switch was on. The only thing I had powered all the time was my GPS, did not want it losing trip time on my LD rides.

I just put the Blue Sea box on top of the battery, it fit perfectly there. I did run all the wiring from the front of the battery area back along the sides of the Blue Sea box so it was easy to lift up to get to the battery if needed.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:54 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
...used the 12 circuit one, ran 10Ga wire from the battery, through a Relay and 30 Amp fuse. Powered the relay from the hot wire on the seat heater plug just under the nose of the seat on the left frame rail...I just put the Blue Sea box on top of the battery, it fit perfectly there. I did run all the wiring from the front of the battery area back along the sides of the Blue Sea box so it was easy to lift up to get to the battery if needed.
I did the exact same thing - works perfectly - accessories on with ignition. Bought a "weatherproof" 30A fuse holder (blade type) and relay ("standard" 12V automotive type) from Rat-Shack. No modification to the fuse block was necessary - has "a few" grounding points and a common power point, along with your fused sources.

The only thing I'd change is what "hot" turns on the relay. With my current setup (hot to the master relay from the seat heater), I get power on with ignition, and then another power cycle when starting. I'd like to change that to just power on with ignition to prevent the additional power cycle while starting. Next time!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #6 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 2:59 am

I personally think that the Blue Sea fuse blocks are overkill. As are the Centech AP-1 blocks that are so popular. But being the hypocrite that I am, I've purchased the Centech AP-1 (along with Centech's 75A prewired relay) for my new GT. Nothin's too good for my new baby, right?! (and...I like the size of the AP-1.)

On my LT, I bought TWO BUSS 6-circuit fuse blocks for $10 off of eBay. A $4 30A relay from AutoZone, and I was all set. Oh...and between the battery and before the relay, I installed a 30A ATC fuse.

FWIW, Here's an eBay ad for an 8-circuit unit like the two I bought.

Installed:

I had one under the nose cone, as well.
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:02 am

I like the Painless circuit box. 6 hot and 6 switched circuits.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I personally think that the Blue Sea fuse blocks are overkill. ------------------
Overkill????? Just why do you think that? They are available with either 6 or 12 circuits, and with or without ground lugs. They are also quite inexpensive. I liked the one I got as it used the same style fuse as the stock BMW ones, and fit perfectly on top of the battery. All in all just about as good a source as any.
http://www.bluesea.com/dept.asp?d_id=7463&l1=7463

I cannot fathom why you would feel they are "overkill". Now if they were only available in 12 circuit with ground bus, and costly, then I could agree for some people, but the cost and optional models make them very suitable for just about any motorcycle use. I felt mine was perfect for what I wanted, and it was about $26.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Last edited by dshealey; Jul 20th, 2006 at 2:08 pm. Reason: addded link
post #9 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:38 pm

The Blue Sea ones are avialable at most marine supply stores, easy to chose the one that is right for your needs. I used the 6 circuit one, sitting on top of my battery, it is switched on by a relay when the ignition is in the acc position.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Sea Fuse Block.JPG
Views:	1906
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	5211  

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #10 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Neg Bus or No?

Looking at what Messenger did, he went with his own dedicated Neg strip, if I went with the 12circuit with neg bus then I could eliminate the added holes drilled, and additional wire length right?

Which model # do you have Dshealy?

Messenger, on your wires before their connection point, is that the contact grease you were talking about? Anti-corrosion, etc? Is that readily available? Also, are there different kinds or different application types?

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Looking at what Messenger did, he went with his own dedicated Neg strip, if I went with the 12circuit with neg bus then I could eliminate the added holes drilled, and additional wire length right?

Which model # do you have Dshealy?
I used the 12 circuit with negative bus, model 5026.
Pictures of it on bike attached. If you don't think you will ever need more than 6 accessories you can get the 6 circuit one, it is shorter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FuseBlock1.JPG
Views:	1181
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	5215   Click image for larger version

Name:	FuseBlock2.JPG
Views:	804
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	5216  

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Now You've done it!

Alright....

First off...I am going with the same model as you, I immediately can think of 5 circuits I need. Then I was thinking I would have a few for spares for the next couple years....

THEN...

In your pic I see some things....haha What is the blue hose....is that an onboard air compressor? If so, what make model do you have, and also what is the gold anodized aluminum...is that an Ohlins shock reservoir? I also see your V1 remote audio adapter(I don't need that) tucked in there. So, as I continue to see these things in yalls pictures, I do not feel my bike will EVER be complete..haha.

Thanks again for the pix, they are great, and I will go online and order it tonight. Also, the relay and stuff you are using, is that something you bought at the same time/same place or you pieced it?

So, If I am correct, 10g from batt to inline fuse(what size type) then to relay(size type) to Blue Sea Fuse block?

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #13 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 9:56 am

Quote:
Alright....

First off...I am going with the same model as you, I immediately can think of 5 circuits I need. Then I was thinking I would have a few for spares for the next couple years....

THEN...

In your pic I see some things....haha What is the blue hose....is that an onboard air compressor? If so, what make model do you have,
Yes, a Thomas 160. I was the first one to use one of these, and many have done so since. They are often available on eBay for $16-24. A high quality industrial design.
Quote:
and also what is the gold anodized aluminum...is that an Ohlins shock reservoir?
Yes
Quote:
I also see your V1 remote audio adapter(I don't need that) tucked in there. So, as I continue to see these things in yalls pictures, I do not feel my bike will EVER be complete..haha.

Thanks again for the pix, they are great, and I will go online and order it tonight. Also, the relay and stuff you are using, is that something you bought at the same time/same place or you pieced it?

So, If I am correct, 10g from batt to inline fuse(what size type) then to relay(size type) to Blue Sea Fuse block?
I used a standard in-line fuse holder for the same ATO type fuse, with a 30 amp fuse, and a 30 amp standard Bosch automotive relay and socket. I already had that, so did not buy it. There are many places you can get these though. Here is one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=330-070

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #14 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:47 am

Question

On the diagram it shows what looks like 2 positive inputs on the bottom. Are they separate for each side so you could use one for switched and the other always hot?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #15 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:55 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
On the diagram it shows what looks like 2 positive inputs on the bottom. Are they separate for each side so you could use one for switched and the other always hot?

There is just 1 connection point for positive and 1 for nehative. Maybe what you are looking at is the '+' label thinking it is 2?

Thanks,
Shawn

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
'03 K1200LT Titan Silver "Big Iron"
BMWMOA #118204
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:01 pm

Yep, thanks

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #17 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:43 am
cws

Garage
Question Relay block??

Quote:
I used a standard in-line fuse holder for the same ATO type fuse, with a 30 amp fuse, and a 30 amp standard Bosch automotive relay and socket. I already had that, so did not buy it. There are many places you can get these though. Here is one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=330-070
Hi David.
As a slightly electrically challenged person, could you explain what the relay block is for?
I'm thinking of putting a fuse box like the Blue sea above the battery, to connect my Autocomm (currently taking live from the seat heater) and my new 2610 GPS (installing this weekend, I hope!, to the maplight if I dont get the fuse box) and any future add-ons. I would have just connected the +/- terminal without a relay. Do I need it??????
thanks in advance

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 26 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Hi David.
As a slightly electrically challenged person, could you explain what the relay block is for?
I'm thinking of putting a fuse box like the Blue sea above the battery, to connect my Autocomm (currently taking live from the seat heater) and my new 2610 GPS (installing this weekend, I hope!, to the maplight if I dont get the fuse box) and any future add-ons. I would have just connected the +/- terminal without a relay. Do I need it??????
thanks in advance
I used the relay to prevent any loads from draining the battery when the ignition is off. If you wire the fuse block direct to the battery and leave anything attached to it on, the battery will be drained. I used the power wire to the front seat heater to power the relay on and off, as that line is switched by the ignition.

I did have my GPS wired direct to the battery as I did not want it going off with the ignition evertime I stopped, wanted the trip time to stay correct, also every time the GPS was turned on it had to re-acuire satellites. I also had radar detector, Gerbing heat controllers, air compressor, XM radio, and other additions wired to the Blue Sea fuse box. I wanted all those to be disconnected when the ignition switch was off.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 1:30 am
cws

Garage
OK, I can make some sense of that! thanks David!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 9:54 am

I have been reading this with interest. I use 6 ckt block with car buss type fuses only because I cannot find the mini blade fuses in the 1 amp range. I really dont want to fuse my GPS and XM radio with anything much larger. Does anyone know of a source for the mini blade fuses in the 1 - 1.5 amp range, I would like to only have to carry one type of fuse, ie... The mini blades.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #21 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:49 am

Exclamation Click da link

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
. . . Does anyone know of a source for the mini blade fuses in the 1 - 1.5 amp range, I would like to only have to carry one type of fuse, ie... The mini blades.
Check this guy out.
http://www.waytekwire.com/index.htm
ATO fuses, first one is 1amp.
http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...46D042+M37+ENG

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states
post #22 of 26 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 6:45 pm

Garage
Quote:
I used the power wire to the front seat heater to power the relay on and off, as that line is switched by the ignition.
Forgive me but I am a novice at installing electrical components. I'm planning on installing the Blue Sea fuse box. If I'm reading this thread right, from the the front seat heater, I connect a relay. From the relay to a 30A ATO fuse. From the fuse, to the fuse box itself. All the the connections will be using 10G wire. Is this right?

Another silly question, I noticed the Messy13 had a grounding strip on his old LT. Do I need to add this as well? According to the West Marine website, I think the block has a ground:

ATO/ATC Fuse Block - 6 Position With Ground 3733482 5025

Also, If I wanted to, could I also set up another fuse block directly for an always on set of connections? I would do the same relay/fuse/block connection. I would like to have my GPS always on. I'm going to mount that on the dash itself just above the radio controls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuseblock_f.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	10321  

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #23 of 26 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Garage
Primetime bump

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #24 of 26 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Forgive me but I am a novice at installing electrical components. I'm planning on installing the Blue Sea fuse box. If I'm reading this thread right, from the the front seat heater, I connect a relay. From the relay to a 30A ATO fuse. From the fuse, to the fuse box itself. All the the connections will be using 10G wire. Is this right?---------------

Connect the battery to the fuse, the fuse to relay contact #87, contact #87 to the power buss of the fuse box. Then connect a wire from a switched source (such as the seat heater) to relay contact #85, then contact #86 to battery negative.

When you turn on the ignition, power from the seat heater wiring will go through the relay coil to ground, turning on the relay, then battery power will go through the relay contacts to the fuse block, energizing it.

Here is a little information on relay use.
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/BoschRelay.htm

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Last edited by dshealey; Mar 5th, 2007 at 9:25 pm.
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Probably it's not your case, but just because I finised this install yesterday:
http://www.viajareua.com/BMW_GS_Fuse_Box.html
that is the photo install of a Blue Sea on my GS.

I'm planning to do the same on the LT and this thread has been very help full.

Now, Cfell mention:
Quote:
0G to the fuse block sounds good if you have a "circuit breaker" coming off the battery terminal then the wire to the block.
the "circuit breaker" is the 30A fuse right? or there is something else?

Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #26 of 26 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 7:44 am

Garage
Quote:
Here is a little information on relay use.
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/BoschRelay.htm
Thanks Dave! I plan on stripping the bike this weekend. I hope your move is going well!

Elton, that looks great! Thanks again for the visuals!

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in