Tassie trip - November 06 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 25th, 2006, 2:59 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Tassie trip - November 06

My good lady Kerrie & I plan to take TYC for a post Snowy Ride trip to Tassie in November.
The Snowy Ride is 10 & 11 Nov this year (based in Thredbo), so Sunday morning (12th) the plan is to head south to Melbourne, catch the Spirit of Tasmania over the lake (!!! I hope !!!) that night, it leaves about 8pm I think, and tootle around Tassie for about 7 days/nights, then catch the Spirit back to Sydney for the short ride home from its terminus.

So, seeking collective knowledge of any events around that time of year that might cause problems or be worth going along with (eg other bike groups that time of year), good roads and "must see" places..... etc etc.

Its 6 months away yet, so plenty of planning time to make it worthwhile.

We actually fly to Launceston on 3rd June for an overnighter while Kerry checks out a work conference location (read freebies, well at least for her...) so that will give is a quick first look!!!

cheers guys

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 25th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Hi Chris,
If you haven't been to Tasmania before, and especially if you haven't riden a bike down there, you are in for a very pleasant experience! I had the pleasure of riding around Tassie a couple of times now. Once with my lovely wife and the other with a group of bikes and a troupe of cars, mostly Porsches and one Ferrari GTSi. Boy, did we have a great time. Upset the local coppers a little but... My favorite riding was up around Cradle Mountain and that area...the roads are terrific with great camber and the local motorists are very polite and most of them will pull off to the side to let you past...very well trained indeed. A word of warning however, on some of the roads there is gravel on corners (like anywhere else) and we lost a bike to such and were very lucky it was just one... After a week riding in Tassie, my confidence and style vastly improved and I had no trouble keeping up with the Ducati's that made up the other bikes...in the corners anyway...

Enjoy mate!

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #3 of 16 Old May 25th, 2006, 11:10 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thanks Ian, never been there before, so next weekend will be a quick "first look", but probably not too far from Launceston region. Then again, maybe it only takes half a day to drive round Tassie...

So, are you saying Cradle Mountain is very narrow roads, like some of the 1 & 1/2 lanes you sometimes get in country areas? Or are they just windy without much overtaking spots? Nothing worse than getting caught on beautiful winding roads behind a slow moving vehicle with no safe chance of getting past, and I don't like to risk it, especially with No.2 on the back

post #4 of 16 Old May 27th, 2006, 2:09 am

Smile

G'day Chris,
Being an ex Tasmanian, my other head belleive that where ever you ride you will have a great time.
I once lived in the central highlands at a place called Wayatinah. Power station country. The lyell hwy from New Norfolk to Derent bridge is usually very nice and I have been told that a new caravan park and also a`chalet is just up the road at Taraleah. Welll worth the stop.

Whilst in Launceston have a look at the Motorcylcle Museum.

Hobart - a trip down the South to Huon area is well worth a visit as is a ride along the East coast. Wherevever you travel you will like it. As Onions stated beaware of gravel on edges especially in log truck territory.

Get hold of a map, grab a dart and close your eyes, wherever you end up getting their and then going on will be worth it.

Good luck.

Jake

Jake
04 K12LT
Melbourne, Australia
post #5 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 8:00 am

Smile

Just spent 10 days in Tassie only two months back. Very nice scenery if you can take your eyes off the road long enough to look around. On some of the rides, my wife resorted to clicking shots from the back of the bike so I could look at them that evening to see what we had come through.
The ride up along the north coast is very nice, as are the rides around Cradle Mountain. We went to Paradise, and rode through The Promised Land, but did not go to No Where Else.
The main highways are very good, but the back roads can be a bit narrow and very twisty in places. I found the road from Burnie to Strahan quite challenging, and I don't think I will ever go back to Queenstown on a bike again. Going in from the Strahan side is not too bad, but comeing up on the other side was horrible because it was just so tight and twisty, I was often back in first gear around most of them.
All in all we had a great time down there, and there is just so much to see and do that we will have to go back again to see all the things we did not have time for.
Picture 5 is the Dock Lands at Melbourne. Trucks load on the bottom ramp, cars and bike go up the top ramp. Was quite easy getting on and off at both ends, despite the horror stories we had been told before we went.
Oh, make sure you keep an eye on your tyres, as I had one go between Queenstown and Hobart, and there is nothing out there to help you.The only BMW shop is in Launceston, and we had to get the only ME880 tyre available to be sent to Hobart to get it fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Signs.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	4104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queenstown.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	4105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornering.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	4106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mole Creek.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dock Lands, Melb.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	4108  

Name:	Rainforest.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	4109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyre 2.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	4110  

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #6 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Hey Brian,
Great photos mate...

What's the story with the tyre? Was the result of a lock-up or what?
post #7 of 16 Old May 29th, 2006, 9:01 am

Hi Onions
No story really, no lockups. Only 16k Klms on it, but towing fairly full trailer around Tassie, and the camber of good Aussie roads caused this. Yes all that wear is on the right side of the tyre.
Had to ride 150Klms to Hobart on it, just as well the ME880 is a light truck tyre, anything less would probably have fallen apart.

Orange, NSW
Ulysses Member 32701
post #8 of 16 Old May 30th, 2006, 3:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Hi Onions
No story really, no lockups. Only 16k Klms on it, but towing fairly full trailer around Tassie, and the camber of good Aussie roads caused this. Yes all that wear is on the right side of the tyre.
Had to ride 150Klms to Hobart on it, just as well the ME880 is a light truck tyre, anything less would probably have fallen apart.
Amazing mate...at least you got your monies worth out of it eh?

I'm actually sitting in the library of the Tasmanian Police Academy just out of Hobart as I type this... Just a quick trip unfortunately, and back to Melbourne tomorrow...beautiful place this...and I thought that Melbourne was cold...brrrrrrrrr

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 4:51 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thumbs up pics & tips

thanks all so far guys.

Brian, some nics pics, looking foward to seeing some of those sights!
Doubt I'll have a trailer by then, but I'm sure I'll be up for new tyres before I go, got 14,500 on the first set now, bound to put a few thou more before Nov.

Jake, post a pic of that second head!!!!!
I've heard a few stories that the west coast was not as exciting to see, but it sounds like generally most of the inland roads should be really interesting from the riders point of few. Only hope the back seat can enjoy it as much!

I'm flying down to Tassie tomorrow morning, weather not looking so good, I think Sydney feels like its Tassie at the moment, about 10 deg and pissing down outside. Looking forward to 5:30am check-in at the airport... not.

Have a great weekend guys, hope some of you get a ride!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
My good lady Kerrie & I plan to take TYC for a post Snowy Ride trip to Tassie in November.
The Snowy Ride is 10 & 11 Nov this year (based in Thredbo), so Sunday morning (12th) the plan is to head south to Melbourne, catch the Spirit of Tasmania over the lake (!!! I hope !!!) that night, it leaves about 8pm I think, and tootle around Tassie for about 7 days/nights, then catch the Spirit back to Sydney for the short ride home from its terminus.

Looks like you will have to make a slight change to those plans. Just read in the paper that the Sydney/Davenport Ferry is going to be scrapped because it is too expensive to keep running. Bummer!

Orange, NSW
Ulysses Member 32701
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
First impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Looks like you will have to make a slight change to those plans. Just read in the paper that the Sydney/Davenport Ferry is going to be scrapped because it is too expensive to keep running. Bummer!
Thanks Brian, thats one thing I was worried about, I'd been reading they were considering scrapping the Sydney run as it was in such a huge debt. That's a real bummer indeed!

Had a beautiful weekend in Launceston, sunshine (about 10degC), and 2 days to roam around. At first I was a bit dismayed as we drove out through some of the wineries, it looked like anywhere in country NSW, dry & scrubby. But then we got back to the Tamar river, drove up to Low Head Lighthouse at the rivermouth, then back down and across Batman Bridge and down West Tamar to some more wineries, much more picturesque and gave a much better impression of what Tassie has to offer (see pics).

Sunday drove out to Devenport to see where the ferry docks, just a nice hour's drive from Launceston.

Now really looking forward to going back in Nov, on 2 wheels and enjoying those roads, hopefully with some more greenery in the landscape....!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cataract_gorge_launceston.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	4232   Click image for larger version

Name:	tamar_river_from_low-head_lighthouse.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	4233   Click image for larger version

Name:	tamar_river_batman_bridge.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	4234   Click image for larger version

Name:	ninth_island_winery_west_ta.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	4235   Click image for larger version

Name:	spirit_tassie_1_devenport.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	4236  

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Tassi Ferry

Hi Chris

Have just moved to Tassi and you will love the roads. The trip from St Helens to Port Arthur down the East coast is a riders delight.

Make sure you take an old towel or rug with you in case they strap the bike over the seat. It will avoid any abrasion to the plastics. We used this method for the trip over after being forwarned by fellow Ulysseans.

Hope you have a great trip.

Regards
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1952
Hi Chris

Make sure you take an old towel or rug with you in case they strap the bike over the seat. It will avoid any abrasion to the plastics. We used this method for the trip over after being forwarned by fellow Ulysseans.
We had been told the same thing, but when we went in March they had a new system that just went across the handlebars and also includes a strap to lock the front brake on. The bike gets left on the side stand, and once it is tied down is quite solid with this system.

Orange, NSW
Ulysses Member 32701
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thanks Colin & Brian.
We booked our passage yesterday, looks like we'll start off north west around Burnie or Smithtown for a quick look at the North West area and 1st overnighter. Cradle mountain second day/night, then down to Hobart for 2 nights to take in the Huon and then Port Arthur.
Next night at Freycinet, then hopefully up around St Helens the following night.
Then back to Devenport for the ferry ride back to Melb and the long ride home.
Hopefully that will give us time to take in some of the best parts of the islands roads and scenery. I'm sure we'll misss plenty, but that will be a good reason to do it all again a few years time.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 16 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:38 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Route advice

My new GPS toy, and also the online NRMA Travelplanner, is coming in quite handy for all this trip planning.
Of course, now adding to the confusion is that they offer up multiple routes to travel.

So, my question, which is partly raised by BrianD's comments earlier, is what is the best (preferred?) path to take from Cradle Mountain to Hobart?
I was thinking of going via Queenstown, but it sounds a bit ratty, and the SO doesn't like very tight, slow twisty sections too much. Come to think of it, she doesn't like fast twisty sections any better...

Is the route through Deloraine and down the A5 better (smoother, more or just-as scenic, considerably less nasty's) than the route through Queenstown, or is just a boring inland highway, much like the Hume?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:24 am

As far as I know, there is a bit of dirt on that route from Deloraine to Bothwell. It's just as you go down around Great Lake, but the rest is paved. The guy who owned the first place we stayed in at Devonport said it was an alright road though, and he did the run from Devonport to Hobart and back several times a week on that road (in a cage of course).
We came up from Hobart via Oatlands and Campbelltown and it is just your "boring inland highway" but a nice ride anyway.

Orange, NSW
Ulysses Member 32701

Last edited by BrianD; Oct 5th, 2006 at 9:34 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in