Custom Seats - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Custom Seats

A few seat related questions...

I am looking to replace the OEM seats on my bike. If you replaced yours where did you get it? Looking online it appears most custom seat companies are in the US, anybody know of any local Aussie ones?

Whilst on this topic, has anybody got the Bakup back rest? did it make a big difference? also, did it get in the way of the pillion?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Re: Custom Seats

Good morning to you, Toasty.

I have had some work done by this fellow in the past, and he did a very good job.

http://www.acmseats.com.au/

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:08 am Thread Starter

Thank you - I will check it out.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:29 am

Hi Toasty,
I have been to visit this guy in Golbourn. He commented that a lot of his work comes from BMW riders. I intend to get him to work on my seat in the future when time and money permit.

I am leaning towards local guys after researching overseas options. I rationalise this by, if the seat is not right first time, they can modify it without to much fuss or added expence.

He said that if it were booked in, and you were able to be there by 08:30, he would have it finished that day. I would plan to spend a night and give it a workout before returning home.

http://mjmcustommotorbikeseats.com.au/.

I will provide an update if and when I get the seat reconfigured.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:16 am

Garage

Toasty
I have a Russell day long from the states with freight $110.00 each way and the cost of the seat total was a $750.00 was it worth it (for me) no, I did 100k km on the original seat hated every km of it, my new seat is not any better comfort wise, I slip forward in it all the time because it is not right and as Brian said, I am not sending it back for alteration. I considered selling it and go back to the original seat. (flame suit on) I have had some fairly serious back surgery I dont think any seat will make any difference to me.

Chris (cws) has a different seat to mine he is happy with his.

I also have the back rest, yes if your wife is not built like Elle McPherson it can get in the way, push you forward when braking. having said that my wife no longer pillions with me and I find the back rest fantastic solo I no longer get the ache between the shoulder blades from slumping in the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russell day long.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	51306  

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Mar 19th, 2014 at 6:28 am.
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 7:11 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Chris (cws) has a different seat to mine he is happy with his.
Yep, I bought a used seat for the LT off ebay in the US, had it shipped to Rick Mayer in Calif., and he on-shipped the finished seat to me.
The process wasn't easy, payment process was difficult as I paid up-front but they seemed to mislay it!
Got the seat in the end, but it took ages. It's a 150% improvement over stock, and about 95% of "ideal". Did it when our $ was less than US$0.50 so paid way too much just like Linton. That said, there's no way I could have done the big days on the Oz trip without it.

See if you can buy a 2nd hand seat, and get it altered... that way you can still ride.
Or try an airhawk... some swear by it... I didn't like the one I tested.

Backup backrest, bought one off Ebay 2nd hand... its great although a little too high for my liking, but I love the support it offers.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Garage

I used one of these for years and actually found it quite good, a softer seat doesn't make it more comfortable it is how you are supported in the seat

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2014, 5:19 am

I have a Russell Day-Long on my 2010 RT. It was a bit of a hassle, but I managed to buy a front seat from Beemer Boneyard and had them ship it to Russell. They were pretty good to deal with and it did not take too long to get here.

Have had the seat for about 2 years now - done some pretty long rides (Sydney to Perth in 68 hours) and could not have done it without the RDL. I went for it in the end after trying a few locally made options that were only marginal improvements on the stock seat. That said, I have heard a number of reports that the guy in Goulburn is pretty good, but for me the RDL has been excellent.

I also have the back-up backrest. My wife is on the smaller side and it does not get in her way. I only put it on if I am doing a long ride as I use my bike every day and its a bit of a hassle getting my leg over it all the time. I did not use it on the Perth trip at Christmas time, but I usually use it on long trips (I just used it on a trip to Melbourne). It is pretty good on longer trips, and it really helps with tension in my shoulders.

The only problem with the back-up is that it does not fit as well with the RDL seat - I reckon its properly worth while if you have a stock or modified stock seat.

I have just recently ordered a new GTL Exclusive, so the RT is going to get sold in a couple of months - I will sell the back-up separately if you are interested - PM me if you want to discuss.

Also, I am located in southern Sydney - happy to meet up if it suits you so you can check out the RDL.

Rob
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:10 pm

I use an Airhawk between all of my bikes including the Harley and it definitely makes a difference on the longer rides .it looks a bit ugly but if it helps my butt and back who cares....might check out that Goulburn guy though !

2001 k1200lt
2010 r1200gsa 30yr
2006 Harley Deluxe
1996 gsxr 750
2006 gsxr 1000
2007 ktm 525 exc
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Thought I would post a mini update.

Didnt get a new seat, so we decided to try two of the Airhawk cushions, so far we have found them pretty good. They certainly help with the numb bum issue. The only minor gripe is that they are a little slippery when you a going round any twisty roads, the cushion itself doesn't move on the seat as it has a grippy rubber base, it's the material on top which is a nylon type material and doesn't allow for great friction. On long straights where you are not moving around they are perfect.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mark

BMW R1200GSA (2015 model)
BMW R1200RT (2010 model)
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Beware of Rick Mayer...I was promised in January to have a seat the first week of March. May be a good seat but the riding time is here and my bike is lonely. No response from Rick. No answer of the phone, fax or email to tell me I have to wait longer. I have asked for him to return my seat. I wonder if I will ever see my new or old or money again. He sounds like a really nice guy... Maybe he will come through...You might want to ship your seat to him in September and hope to get it back by May or June...just beware.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2014, 6:22 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForFieros View Post
Beware of Rick Mayer...I was promised in January to have a seat the first week of March. May be a good seat but the riding time is here and my bike is lonely. No response from Rick. No answer of the phone, fax or email to tell me I have to wait longer. I have asked for him to return my seat. I wonder if I will ever see my new or old or money again. He sounds like a really nice guy... Maybe he will come through...You might want to ship your seat to him in September and hope to get it back by May or June...just beware.
Yeah, his customer support via anything technological is far from ideal... maybe he's just a ride-in-and-get-in-his-face kind of guy? That said, my seat eventually came through but it was a very difficult and un-nerving process when so far away.
Not hard to find similar recent complaints online.
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ck-Mayer-Cycle
Hope it gets sorted out... make sure you only call during the advertised shop times!
He did answer an email question I sent him a few months back... so he was still alive then...

Ahhh... just found this in the same thread from Rick... by way of explanation and apology...
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post930128

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in