NSW Outback Adventure - thoughts please... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 15th, 2014, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

NSW Outback Adventure - thoughts please...

Hi Everyone, I am looking to pick the brains of the folks on here.

We live in Sydney with our beloved 2010 R1200RT, up until now our 'touring' has been single day round-trips (wife rides pillion).

We are looking to build out a multi-day adventure trip heading into the NSW outback (Thinking - Sydney -> Cobar -> Broken Hill -> Wentworth and back round in a big loop).

Three questions:

First question, has anyone on here done a similar route which you can share? looking for recommendations on motels, things to see etc...

Second question, time wise with our holidays and work commitments we are looking to do this in early August, weather and daylight wise is this ok?

Third question, this trip is much more adventurous than our day trips, what essential packing - outside of the requirement for clothes and a toothbrush, do you need for something like this, especially since there are lots of open roads with nothing around? what equipment do you add to the list?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 15th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Re: NSW Outback Adventure - thoughts please...

I would luve to ride with you guys but it would cost too much to ship my LT over from Texas.

Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

North Richland Hills, Texas (Ft Worth)

History:
2002 BMW K1200LT Green
2008 Honda ST1300 Red 20K miles, FOR SALE
2004 Honda Goldwing Standard restoration in progress
1981 Honda Goldwing Standard - Custom, Weber Carb FOR SALE
1977 Honda Goldwing Standard, ready for frame up restoration

Gone but not forgotten:
1983 Goldwing 1992 Goldwing 1994 BMW K1100LT 1994 Kawasaki KLX650 1989 Yamaha FJ1200. 1982 Honda 750SS. 1976 Honda CB550F. 1975 Honda CB350F. 1971 Honda CB350 twin. 1969 Yamaha DT250. 1971 Suzuki 185 Enduro. 1961 Vespa 125. 1959 Alstate scooter.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 5:53 am
cws

Garage

Hi Toasty.
Guess my main thought is... don't overthink it too much for a short trip, though good planning makes a world of difference. Any multi-day travel on the bike should be enjoyable unless you get it completely wrong.
August is going to be cold... still winter, if your lucky might get good dry weather... regardless you'll need damn good gear and be well prepared for some miserable conditions if you are unfortunate enough for it to turn bad.
Using layered clothing can make a big difference between comfort and misery.... one extra light top can add that few degrees body warmth.
Plan shorter day rides depending on how much your wife thinks she can handle... it may be 3-4 hours in the cold and that might be more than enough for her.

I haven't done the route your thinking of, but have done some big trips with the wife on the back (round Oz, Tassie in Nov), and its pretty tiring on them just hanging on. Plenty of stops in order to keep the co-pilot comfortable.

Extra gear... carry a puncture kit, just in case. Easy enough to use and better than being stranded.
Have some decent size zip ties and maybe some gaffer tape with your tool kit. Amazing what they can fix in a pinch.
Maybe carry some spare gloves in case it rains heavy and you can't get them dry enough for the next day's ride.

Try to find hotels or motels where you'll have cover for the bike, even if its just underneath the verandah. Nothing worse than packing up in the rain to have to do a days ride.

That's a few late night thoughts....

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks - some good tips.

Regarding the route, I found this article which looks to have a good itinerary:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226685010794
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 6:06 pm
cws

Garage

Sounds like a good round trip. Just watch those "750km days" though.. with rest stops that's likely to be near 10 hrs on the road from start to finish... depending on how many performance awards you're willing to risk
Hay Plains is a long straight stretch... in the late 80's I rode straight through from Adelaide to Gosford (17 hrs on a Kwaka 750) and was sitting on 170kph for about an hour with a stiff sidewind.... slowing down to come into the next town I was greeted with a present for doing ~ 125 in a 100k zone. Lucky they didn't feel like being further out of town that day!

Enjoy your trip, it's always an adventure.

Also, think about the Snowy Ride come November for a 3-5 day trip with lots of fellow motorcycle enthusiasts. Great weekend away for a good cause.

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 18 Old Mar 18th, 2014, 8:48 pm

I just did a similar trip last November. Although was entering summer I had all kinds of weather. I went Sydney Broken Hill and side trips from there then Adelaide, Melbourne, and followed the coast (As best I could) back to Sydney. The days will be short in August and would not recommend riding dusk to dawn. There are a lot of kangaroo and emu's running around. I made no advance plans for lodging and had not problems finding nice lodging last minute.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 1:47 am

Garage

Hey toasty, the only advise I will give you is leave early (before 9am) stop early also 500km will take you all day with breaks and is a big day. when we ride, we stop every 1.5 hrs for a break then another 1.5 hrs for fuel. takes a long time to get anywhere at 100kph have a good trip.
You dont need a lot of clothes I usually only have 1x good jeans, shorts and a couple of tea shirts, jumper, jammies, thongs(sandals) and grundies. oh and a hair drier LOL you are in your bike gear all day everyday. same for the boss. one pannier for her one for me top box has the thermos coffee and cups long life milk and anything else that will fit, or I pull the camper and take the kitchen sink.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 1:51 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
oh and a hair drier LOL
Can't remember you still having that much hair, Linton....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:05 am Thread Starter

more great tips and insight guys, thanks!

I started to put my plan together, I think I probably need to revisit my day 4 plan (see below) based on the comments, I may have been a little optimistic on the duration which is a guess based on Google maps timing plus a hour or so of breaks added. We have found accommodation at each of the stops and planned to make day 3 in the middle a fairly chilled day with only a 270km ride, plus the stop at Broken Hill is only 30 mins from Silverton where Mad Max II was filmed, so need to go and see that!

Day 1 – Saturday – Sydney to Griffith
Duration: 6.5 Hours
Distance: 580 kms

Day 2 – Sunday – Griffith to Wentworth
Duration: 5 Hours
Distance: 470 kms

Day 3 – Monday – Wentworth to Broken Hill
Duration: 3 Hours
Distance: 270 kms

Day 4 – Tuesday – Broken Hill to Dubbo
Duration: 8 Hours
Distance: 780 kms

Day 5 – Wednesday – Dubbo to Sydney
Duration: 5 Hours
Distance: 400 kms
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:38 am

Hi Toasty,
My maths are not great, but taking into account that the speed limit is generally 100klms in most parts of the state, and that you are going through a number of towns during most trips, 60klms. I feel your duration is a little bit shy of what you will be actually achieving.

I agree with other comment, too early or dusk, is not a safe time to be on the road. Wildlife wanting to turn into dead life.

Also take into account riding into the sun either morning or afternoon. Depends on your orientation.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:47 am

Garage

day 1 big day might make it ok, day 2 ok day 3 ok day 4 not going to happen, day 5 ok
happy to be proven wrong. aim for no more than 500 per day with breaks and fuel stops this will still be about 7-8 hrs in the saddle

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:18 am
cws

Garage

Google Maps says day 4 could be a 7hr 50min drive (non-stop I'd presume) or a 1hr 35min flight... if the missus can't do it, might have to stick her on a plane while you gun it....
You wouldn't be the first person to do that

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:26 am Thread Starter

We havent done a trip this big before so I bow down to the collective wisdom here, I am being a little unrealistic on the distance we could do in a single day and probably the break duration. I need to either add a day between Broken Hill and Dubbo or adjust the route.

I don't want this trip to be torturous or the wife wont sign up to another!

Back to the planner....
post #14 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Google Maps says day 4 could be a 7hr 50min drive (non-stop I'd presume) or a 1hr 35min flight... if the missus can't do it, might have to stick her on a plane while you gun it....
You wouldn't be the first person to do that
Brilliant idea - put the Mrs on a flight and then I can test the theory of if demerit points actually apply since I am still on my UK Driving Licence!

For members of local law enforcement potentially reading this thread, the above was a joke!
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 6:46 am

Toasty,
With respect to our northern hemisphere mates, we have very different conditions down under. I have in the past spent many hours on Auto Strada's and Autoroute's at rediculous speeds for extended hours. We do not and should not compare our riding conditions to theirs. We both have wild life, they have snow and ice.

Our regional roads still pass through most towns slowing our average. As I grow older I see these journeys more as enjoying the time taking the ride, rather than gauging then as the least amount of time spent on the road.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Garage

Chris I have need for a hairdryier

Toasty, I travel at the legal limit @ 100kph and my average speed is around 87-90kph that's getting caught behind traffic, towns etc so you cant actually cover the distance as others have said you might be alright but your wife will cut ya bloody throat mate before ya get there. really its up to you and your wife how far you want to travel each day and it does get easier but you as the rider will get very tired in the first few days, start out easy and build up as you go is the best advise i can give
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my mullett.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	51314  

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Mar 19th, 2014 at 4:33 pm.
post #17 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:37 pm
cws

Garage

otherwise, sage advice being offered.

Just don't go the mullet

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 3:55 am

Hi Toasty,

I took the wife out to Broken Hill about 18 months ago in early October 2012 on our 1200RT. I live in the Snowy Mountains area and did the first day out to Mildura (about 780 klm) with no real problems only a sore butt. It did get quite warm. Second day was a trip up to Broken Hill about (280 klm) I think and we stayed two nights there. Stayed at the Charles Rasp a tidy Motel about a 8-10 minute walk to the main street or a 2 minute walk up to a local for a quick beer and feed.
Had an evening meal at the restaurant on the hill called "Broken Earth" and it was great and certainly not as expensive as some would have you believe. Make sure you at least ride up there as the views are unreal.
Quite a few things to see in Broken Hill and I wish I stayed another day but that is another story.
We came home via the Victorian side of the River and it was good not to travel the Hay Plain again and see some terrific country with great roads.

Everything others have stated about animals etc is spot on

all the best for your ride.

Rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in