2010 RT - cracked frame!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 19th, 2014, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

2010 RT - cracked frame!!!

I rode from Sydney to Perth and back again just before Christmas. I put the bike in for a service in Perth and when I got it back, I was having difficulty changing gears. The short version is that the in-board bush that supports that gear selector shaft had cracked where it is welded onto the frame.

Eventually it was impossible to change gears, and I had guy do a patch up welding job on the bottom of it so I could get back to Sydney.

BMW have agreed to provide a new rear frame (I have to pay $1,500 for labour).

The bike was just on 3 years old when it happened with only 70,000km on it . I have had it since new and it has never been in an accident.

I also had to have the final drive replaced at 47,000.

I love riding it, but can't get my head around paying that much for a bike that has these major failures.

Anyways, has anyone heard of the frame cracking like this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02950.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	985.7 KB
ID:	47441  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2014, 1:48 pm
PCH

Re: 2010 RT - cracked frame!!!

No I have not. The RT usually has no frame issues
Regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Garage

Nope, I think that you have been very unlucky my friend.
I would push a little harder with BMW OZ.
This is not premature wear, this is faulty workmanship.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I have nearly 70,000 km on my 2009 RT - and thankfully no frame cracks. This is definitely a rare occurence!

Definitely go hard at BMW Australia. Apart from the normal manufacturer's warranty, there is also the requirement that something be reasonably expected to be fit for purpose, I think - which extends beyond the warranty.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2014, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Well firstly, the new rear sub-frame has arrived - going to be installed next week.

After reading the other posts hear, I got back onto BMW who have now agreed to pay for parts, and half of the labour - its not as good as they pay for everything, but its better than it was. Will have to wait and see how much the labour actually costs.
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2014, 4:00 pm
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty6north View Post
Well firstly, the new rear sub-frame has arrived - going to be installed next week.

After reading the other posts hear, I got back onto BMW who have now agreed to pay for parts, and half of the labour - its not as good as they pay for everything, but its better than it was. Will have to wait and see how much the labour actually costs.
As you say better than nothing. I presume the only reason they give for not paying the total labour bill ,is the amount of time outside warranty?
Good luck and let's hope this is an isolated event
Regards
Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2014, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
As you say better than nothing. I presume the only reason they give for not paying the total labour bill ,is the amount of time outside warranty?
Good luck and let's hope this is an isolated event
Regards
Paul
They didn't give a reason, but they were pretty clear that this was as far as they would go. It still sticks in my throat a bit, but it is different to an issue I had with Suzuki about 6 years ago - I won't bore you with the details, but it was all they could do just to respond to my letters and tell me tough luck. I was trying to be very nice about it all, but in the end told them I would never buy another Suzuki product and would relate the story of their poor product support to anyone who would listen.

So while I think the frame thing is a bit crook, at least the people at the dealer, and the people at BMW Australia were polite and helpful, and did what they could.
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Good outcome!

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 7th, 2014, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil_Time View Post
I have nearly 70,000 km on my 2009 RT - and thankfully no frame cracks. This is definitely a rare occurence!

Definitely go hard at BMW Australia. Apart from the normal manufacturer's warranty, there is also the requirement that something be reasonably expected to be fit for purpose, I think - which extends beyond the warranty.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
Well, got the bike back yesterday - all sorted. Interesting thing is that as soon as I rode it, I realised that the issue with the gear shift had been happening for quite a while, not just on the recent trip to Perth. Lever travel is now much shorter than I can remember for quite a while.

In the end I got BMW to agree to pay for all parts and 50% of the labour - it still cost me $750, but it was a lot better than the alternative.

Also got some much needed new tyres on so I am also experiencing some new tyre love (seriously, is there anything better than getting new tyres on your bike?) - going to take it for a blast today - perfect weather.
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 8th, 2014, 4:57 am
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty6north View Post
Well, got the bike back yesterday - all sorted. Interesting thing is that as soon as I rode it, I realised that the issue with the gear shift had been happening for quite a while, not just on the recent trip to Perth. Lever travel is now much shorter than I can remember for quite a while.

In the end I got BMW to agree to pay for all parts and 50% of the labour - it still cost me $750, but it was a lot better than the alternative.

Also got some much needed new tyres on so I am also experiencing some new tyre love (seriously, is there anything better than getting new tyres on your bike?) - going to take it for a blast today - perfect weather.

Well done. Good outcome. Enjoy
Regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in