fitted my new brake lines - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2013, 4:06 am Thread Starter

Garage
fitted my new brake lines

Hi guys
I fitted the new brakes lines from spieglar this arvo , must say they are well made all the lengths were perfect, they were easy to fit except the one from the hand brake down under the front, the RH hand grip and hand brake has to be loosened so that the m/cyl can rotate downwards, this allows access the the banjo bolt with an allen key, that was the hardest one
it made the job easier to remove the fuel tank, you gotta take of the handle bar covers and the centre cover around the key as well, I have bled the lines but not the wheels still have the cams out waiting for new tappets. they should be here early next week.

I ordered the hyperpro springs from the australian supplier thinking I would get them quicker but alas they order them from europe as required so it will be 4 weeks approx till I get them so the bike is parked up bummer.

Brian and Chris I posted yours today
Cheers

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2013, 10:14 pm
cws

Garage
Re: fitted my new brake lines

Thanks Linton, good to hear its not too bad a job.
I'm currently rebuilding my old EHCS unit so I have a (better) working spare.
The brake lines will wait for a major tear down, which it sounds like you're in the middle of!
Pretty sure I'll need valve adjust as well.... Something to look forward too.... Not!
Have fun mate

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 9 Old Nov 8th, 2013, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Chris
ya valves might be alright I had 2 tight ones so they had to be done, I guess the worry was not getting the tensioner right with the drill bit. if it is done right you can feel the drag on the bit from the spring tension, I got a feel for it BEFORE I removed the cam gears. if it slides really easy then it is not into the second hole other than that it is straight forward, just need to follow the video they are spot on.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Hey Linton,
Just had the lines delivered. Now need to put aside some time to install them. Going by my luck lately, if I leave them too long I will regret it.

On another note. I am trying to get a set of quick disconnects supplied locally. Have been in contact with a dealer who may be able to assist. Will update the forum once I have any information.

Cheers again.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2013, 9:46 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
Chris
ya valves might be alright I had 2 tight ones so they had to be done
2 of mine measured tight at the 100k service, but I can't really afford to have the bike down with no other transport for a week or three... so mine are going to have to wait...
I don't know what the impact of running with tight valves is, but it still seems to run fine...

Brian, what QD's are you getting? I got the Beemerboneyard metal ones a couple of years ago.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2013, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
:
I don't know what the impact of running with tight valves is, but it still seems to run fine...

Brian, what QD's are you getting? I got the Beemerboneyard metal ones a couple of years ago.
Igot mine from here

Also a tip: When installing, best practice is to have one M->F and the other F->M. Impossible to hook up backwards then.

I think genuine Q/D now might be metal I could be wrong, worth a phone call and the male side is the one that breaks but if you are getting new ones do the lot.

Chris, the risk of running with tight valves... It will run ok and you wont notice anything wrong
UNTIL the valve burns out. it will loose compression on the cyl. then the engine will miss and generally run like shite, to repair it the cyl head must come off, so it is important that you get them done as soon as you can, it would be a very expensive repair bill compared to having the tappets adjusted.
If I had the correct shims available it should take no more than about 4hrs to do it, should be quicker for someone who knows what they are doing (bmw Tech)

On another note mine is all back together engine wise and is running great, the brakes lines are fitted and bled now, just waiting for the shock springs to come

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Nov 10th, 2013 at 11:14 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2013, 11:37 pm
cws

Garage

thanks Linton.. I knew there's a reason I "should" do it... guess I need to find out if the local stealers carry spare shims as a matter of course, I expect they "should".. (lots of "should''s here)

My spiffy brake lines just arrived also, look good with the red fittings. Thanks for arranging Linton! I need a week off work to play mechanic with the bike now (not going to happen )

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2013, 2:24 am

HI Chris,
I have checked the Beemer Boneyard site, and landed a set will cost me around US$133.

The units that I can get off the shelf here in Seven Hills are called Jiffy- tite quick connects. They do have a kit in the US for K1200LT's for US$72 which the rep here said he would match for AUS$160. I guess for the difference and the hassle I will go local.

As for fitting the Spiegler's, I will probably wait till around Christmas when it is quiet. I have a trip planned for Dec 6 - 9 down to the South Coast via Jindabyne. So I will check and if all seems okay I will leave it to then. You are more than welcome to come over and watch/assist when I get around to it.

Brian.

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2013, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage
QD's

seems a bit steep Brian, the link I put up for you lists them at about $50 au Plus freight probably around $80 ???

Edit : obviously my price is wrong my link is old and the price has gone up heaps to $80 + freight

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Nov 11th, 2013 at 4:55 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in