Adelaide LT owners. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Adelaide LT owners.

Greetings all.

Just curious if there are any Adelaide and SA regional LT owners out and about. I picked up my first LT this month. A 1999 Champagne coloured beauty with only 36,000km on the clock. She has rego until the end of June and would love to get away somewhere local for a day ride with some others. Drop me an email if you've got a free day now and then. I'm a shift worker so I'm fairly flexible.

Cheers to all.

Paul Harrington
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:22 pm

G'day Paul,
I get over your way every now and then to visit my sister who lives up in those magnificent hills of yours... I'll drop you line before I head over there next. I'm there on 3 May but unfortunately flying this time...

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 4:01 am Thread Starter

Geez Onions, it's rather quiet on the Australian LT forum spot. I've been waiting a few days to see if any other SA LT owners had read my original posting, but to date, it's been a lonely place.

Please, feel free to drop me an email when you're back in SA with your LT. Love to catch up for a cruise if you get time away from your visiting duties. I'm a shiftworker so weekends or weekdays could be good for me.

Cheers to you and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
[email protected]

post #4 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2006, 2:23 am

Talking

mate...what can I say? I guess those of us downunder would rather be out there riding than talking about it here

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #5 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
mate...what can I say? I guess those of us downunder would rather be out there riding than talking about it here

Yes i would love to be out there riding, but instead im working :-((

BUT...

im waiting for my adsl to be connected im getting a 1.5 meg connection in the next few weeks, possibly eariler...

i have done a recording of a local ride, the Paluma range. 22 kilometers long and over 200 turns :-))
i have it recorded to dvd and i need to get my backside in to gear and convert it to divx or something more manageable and whem my adsl is up and running i will get my ftp server running and post info here if anyone wants a copy of it to d/l
post #6 of 9 Old May 5th, 2006, 5:21 am

Well, today i got my 1.5 meg adsl connection running.
i just have a few little logisitcs issues to take care of interent wise round the house.should only take a few hours and then i will be set :-))

WOW!!
Sure beats my 56k modem...
cant wait to see the ADSL2 in action
post #7 of 9 Old May 9th, 2006, 5:29 am Thread Starter

And what's all that got to do with anything"

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Adelaide,
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 9 Old May 10th, 2006, 1:26 am
cws

Garage
[QUOTE=harrowbmw]And what's all that got to do with anything"

I think it means we'll be hearing from Dez again a lot more...
How's the farklin' going Dez? Hope you didn't get all washed away by those storms!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 9 Old May 10th, 2006, 6:12 am

Smile Anything to do?

[QUOTE=cws]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
And what's all that got to do with anything"

I think it means we'll be hearing from Dez again a lot more...
How's the farklin' going Dez? Hope you didn't get all washed away by those storms!
Hey Chris,
Im going well. Unfortunately i have been a very busy man at work and the simple pleasures in life i enjoy most like adding farkles to my LT or better yet, going for a ride, have been placed to the rear of the list of things to be done :-((

BUT...

on the bright side...

It looks like my ADSL connection seems to have come good, and my for the time being 1.5 meg connection is all rosey and dandy... (untill we get ADSL2+ in the area, i have my name down)

Ssssssssoooooo....

im trying to find a FTP server i can set up on my pc and add some bike movies to. I have pletny of bike movies, the problem i have is that my ADSL connection has a dynamic IP and not a STATIC ip. I have found a program that can send emails telling the new ip address, but i have not tested it yet.and i dont know if it works with NAT that is implimented in to the router.
And to make life more interesting the spare PC i had that does all my encoding/decrypting and all sorts of mundane boring jobs, decided its had enough of its boring life and decided to promptly up and die on me.

Bugger of a thing.

I need to get me a new M/B and PSU for it. Probably a good thing.Gives me a good excuse to chuck the spare 3 Ghz Prescott at it and give it a bit of a nudge up in performance.

Any how, when i eventually get it all sorted out, the fist movie i want to put on it is a ride i did a few months ago up the Paluma Range, about 60 kays to the north of Townsville.
22 kilometers and over 200 turns thru rain forest. Not a bad ride at all.
When i eventually get it on there and if you decide to D/L it, have a listen to the bike as i come down the range, i scrape pegs in quite a few corners. i was just starting to get confidence in scraping the pegs on the LT. Now i do it all the time like i used to on my sports tourers.

I did go for a ride at easter time with the BMW Riders club of Queensland to Undara Caverns. http://www.undara.com.au/

Not a bad little spot this.

We went up towards Cairns and on the the Atherton Table lands Via the Palmerstone highway.
This was only a few weeks after cycle Larry tore thru the area.

You had to see it with your own eyes to believe it. About 30 kilometers from Innisfail there was trees that had root systems easy 15 foot round, maybe bigger.
It looked like a giant had come along and ripped them up like thry were weeds and just dragged them along the ground a few hundred meters and just left them there to rot.
Hills that were once upon a time filled as far as the eye could see with thick rainforest had been stipped to a bare minimum of trees and foliage and looked like a balding mans hair line (hhhhmmmmm... sounds like me)

The carnage in Innisfail was a real eye opener. Seeing it on the news on the telly did it no justice. there was one house in particular with all the walls ripped off and just a bare shell. Ther was another house with everthing missing and destroyed *EXCEPT* the kitchen was still in tackt!
Unreal!

As we rode up the palmerstone highway we were amazed to see that some parts of the rainforest had been totally flattened like it had been mowed over with a jaint lawn mower,and yet other sections looked like nothing was wrong.
We found out later the cyclone had split in to 3 sections as it crossed to the tablelands.
On top of the tablelands, i was taken for a ride thru some very cool back roads and passed a jiant wind farm. about 20 huge fans in the middle of nowhere just spinning round making power from the available winds. Apparently they generate enough power to run all the towns on the tablelands all year round. What a brilliant idea. I wish more towns used ideas like this or have solar farms instead of using coal or nuclear powered power stations.

Unfortunatly most of the roads we went on had one just been cleared only days before we got there and there was not much left of the rain forest to enjoy. Real pitty that. But you could see where trees had fallen across the road and the trees had been cut at each side of the road and then the section of tree on the road had been pushed to the side of the road to allow access. These trees were not exactly little trees either, most of these trees were a few feet in width easy. Damn they were big trees.

We got pulled up by the local constabulary for a RBT. One of the policeman commented on how loud my stereo was as well as the clarity of it. After thay asked me many questions about the bike and the fellow rider i was with about his R1100GS we pressed on to Undara.

The last few kilometers was a bit of a handfull. It was dirt. I was led to believe it was all bitumen.
Normally dirt roads on the LT dont bother me....

but i t had just finished raining... that god it was not all that heavy down pour but enough to make the dirt as slick as pig snot and the LT a um, er, interesting ride to say the least.

The overnight stay was good and the food served up for dinner there was nothing short of devine. I think the nicest bit of dinner though was the steamed pudding and custard for deserts.... mmmmmmmmm.... i can almost taste it again as i write this... mmmmmm... yummie :-))

The ride home as just as good. The ride across the tablelands was interesting, the rain was not too heavy but enough to make the roads slick as cow snot but not enough rain to wash the roads clean like with a decent down pour.plus the constant side winds we kept hitting were interesting.kept jtting us from the left side and trying to force you in to on coming traffic. gangs of fun... not.

Well, that about does it from me for this blog type entry to the forums tonight.

Ride safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in