Replace Trunk Latch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 9th, 2013, 6:03 am Thread Starter

Replace Trunk Latch

Dang,
I have had other LT owners comment on the fact that I had not yet replaced the Trunk Latch mechanism. Well, it is now a must do, as it broke today. I noticed over the last couple of days that it operated with a little resistance.

Today I ordered the replacement from the US with the advise from a fellow member who has done this in the past. If only the dollar exchange rate was better.

Still have to do the EBC rear disc {getting bloody noisy} and looking locally for a seat upgrade. Oh well, worth it when I get out on the road and begin smiling.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 9th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Re: Replace Trunk Latch

Brian, too late on the trunk latch, never mind. As for the rear brake disc, if it's still well within the wear limit, take it off and get some Hi Temp Silastic (Loctite Red High Temp RTV, code 59675) and inject it around the bushings, you'll see that every second one has a large radial clearance. trim the nozzle so it's small and you can get the silicon to travel right around. Wipe off the excess and allow to cure laying on the bench for a couple of days (not you, the disc). Worked a treat for me, and it'll buy you some time till the pain from the trunk latch subsides

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 10th, 2013, 1:50 am
cws

Garage

Ouch, sorry to hear you got bit by this one, Brian. At least our dollar is going back up slightly at the moment.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 10th, 2013, 2:01 am

Hey Brian I have my old rotor if you want to do what Dennis suggested.

Trunk latch is just a matter of when it breaks. You can (as Dennis has done) get the kit to fix it before it breaks (cheap option) or do it the hard way as most of us have done

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 10th, 2013, 5:03 am

I'm not 100% certain, but I think once the original latch has broken you need the full replacement kit, others may have more info though. The trunklatch kits are reallly smick though, you end up with something that feels really positive when you latch it. 1 tip - always keep the linkages lubed and a little grease on the under-side of the latch pins inside the case itself. Just don't get the grease on your wife's clothes when packing
As for the rear disc, mine was only just beginning to rattle occassionaly, so the silastic fix may not work if it's too far gone, but probably still worth a try.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 6:27 am Thread Starter

HI Greg,
How about I conduct a trial. With your unit I can try Dennis method, and whilst off I can try other options I have seen on the forum on my unit. At the end of the day, I will more than likely end up with the EBC fix. But would be interesting to trial the difference.

Brian

post #7 of 12 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
1 tip - always keep the linkages lubed and a little grease on the under-side of the latch pins inside the case itself.
Would WD40 work or do I need to use something else?

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2013, 2:41 am

Garage

mine broke years ago its ok to lube the mechanism but the real secret is to relieve the pressure from the locking hook things if the latch is hard to close, relieve some pressure by filing a bit of the hooks ad a dab of petroleum jelly to the pins if you want, and I always push down on the lid when locking
Linton

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2013, 6:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree
HI Greg,
How about I conduct a trial. With your unit I can try Dennis method, and whilst off I can try other options I have seen on the forum on my unit. At the end of the day, I will more than likely end up with the EBC fix. But would be interesting to trial the difference.

Brian
Give us a call mate. I can drop it over or you can pick it up. I'm up at Port Stephens this weekend.

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 25th, 2013, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Here is an update on the replacement of the trunk latch.

The unit arrived last Tuesday. To make the whole job easier, I removed the entire trunk and took up residence in the rear room of the house. Started the job on Wednesday evening and completed it by midday Thursday. For once in my life I took my time.

The unit that arrived, CD instructions and assorted bolts, was nothing short of BRILLIANT. I slowly stepped my way through the job without 1 hiccup. I tip my hat to Evan for the design and workmanship put into this unit.

Cheers Brian.

post #11 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2013, 1:35 am

Garage

well done mate, and i can assure you it will never break again

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2013, 1:44 am
cws

Garage

.... but the coating/paint might crack up a little.... mine did that after a while, only noticeable if you look closely though.
Wrote to Evan to let him know about it.. he offered to repaint if I shipped to him, but I couldn't stand pulling it apart again, never mind the shipping costs

Enjoy your new latch :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in