Bad luck - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 5:15 am Thread Starter

Bad luck

Well ,luck wasn't on my side this time.I had been working on the enterprise for the last couple a months doing everything from the throttle cable upgrade to a new set of Wilber's,anyway after I fitted a set of Suburban lowing footpeg kit I test rode the bike and the rear brake lever was way to high ,I was going on a two day ride up the Oxlley with my son and the night before we were going to leave the annoying brake lever height got to me so I removed the brake lever bracket to adjust the linkage to drop the pedal as much as possible and in the process you have to twist the brake line a bit.......guess what happened ,yes you guessed it the brake hose sepated from the swaged fitting,lucky you weren't in my garage when the expletives and temper flew.So the enevitable came to pass as I couldn't repair it in time and the weekend was postponed.anyway I'm thinking of putting Speigler braided line throughout ....anyone locally have any experience with them ?

2001 k1200lt
2010 r1200gsa 30yr
2006 Harley Deluxe
1996 gsxr 750
2006 gsxr 1000
2007 ktm 525 exc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Garage
Re: Bad luck

no experience with braided lines, the pedal height annoyed me at first, now i don't use the foot brake to stop just the hand brake, foot brake to slow for corners, same with camper on the back unless it is wet and slippery.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 9:10 pm
cws

Garage

Probably the one thing I've been looking at for ages that I haven't done... haven't had the need to really... but it might be a 10th birthday present for the beast when the time comes though.
Sorry to hear it stuffed your trip up Steve, but at least you've got plenty time to get them installed before Snowy.. :-)
Looks like one of the Brisbane boys might need a set too... maybe a bulk buy to cut shipping costs?
I'd consider getting a set before our $$ drops much further.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Ok guys, here's my take on the SM footpeg relocators. They are really nicely made, and if you look closely they can actually be installed in 2 orientations - the intended way gives a forward and downwards offset, the other way gives the forward offset with less downwards. That said, there is a trade-off (as always), and for me that was a bit annoying, but this is the summary. 1. With stock suspension and fully laden 2-up I severely damaged the right side one on some west coast of Tassie corners, much also to the disgust of my HD riding mate who copped all the stones and aluminium when he was following behind. Wilbers fixed that. 2. Adjust the gear linkage height to make that correct in relation to the new footpeg height, but the problem then is the distance from peg to boot is a bit short, so a new gear chage technique is required. Not a big deal though, just need to get used to it. 3. Brake pedal height - I cut the knurled boot pedal part off and lowered it on the lever part then re-welded it. But I didn't like the feel of the pedal being closer to my boot, OK for some but I just didn't like it. The brake pedal needs to be made loger for me. When the standard brake pedal height needs to be restored I made a specer piece for on top of the knurled part and it fixes with a bolt down through the knurled section. The only other comment I would make is that with the relocators in place there feels to be less space when footing to stop - it all just feels a little congested to me. Personal opinion only, not intended to be a put down of the product in any way, as they are a solution to some of the ergonomic discomforts some experience.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Cool Re: Bad luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1
Well ,luck wasn't on my side this time.<snip>...guess what happened ,yes you guessed it the brake hose sepated from the swaged fitting,lucky you weren't in my garage when the expletives and temper flew.<snip> I'm thinking of putting Speigler braided line throughout ....anyone locally have any experience with them ?
Hi Alpha,
Yes I can attest to having local experience with fitting Spiegler brake lines to Beryl Beemer. Did this "hmmmmmmmmm how long ago now??" I forget, but did do a full write up with pix, for the "just in case" someone else down here wants to do. I think I uploaded it to this site, but there again, I have sooooooooo many things to think of, I forget..

Like that oxymoron??

Anyway if you cant find it here anywhere I'll have to dig it up. Great product though BTW the brake lines from Spiegler. I even sent them a copy of the write up come to think of it.

Should you wish to accept this recommendation, as always, you do this at your own risk, and this message will self destruct in 5......4........3.......

Cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Garage

Ok so I went for my fist ride in 3 months and front flexible brake line is leaking so I am in for a set as well if you are going ahead with this please let me know as there is no one here that can make up brake lines

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:58 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Linton... was just doing a quick web-search on the subject and found a couple of guys on other Aussie bike sites questioning whether Spieglers would be ADR compliant (Australian Design Rules.. ie, road legal) in Oz.

I've sent Spieglers an email to see if they have an answer to that.

Someone posted a link to these guys in Qld, although they don't mention specific bike availability.. http://www.helperformance.com.au/cat...-line-systems/
Another link was posted to a South OZ site http://www.powerbrakes.com.au/index....ntent/55281097

If you happen to contact them about LT braided lines, let us know what you find...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in