How annoying the progress of spark plugs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 1:04 am Thread Starter

Cool How annoying the progress of spark plugs

Many years ago, when you bought a spark plug you got that little screw cap to fit on the end if needed, or to throw away if not needed, or maybve to even hoard within a little glass screw topped bottle you would keep in the garage, for "just in case".

But not now.

Bought some new spark plugs from Motohansa last month, and they gave me four (4) NGK DPR7EA-9's instead of what I have been getting in the past, being Bosch Super XR 7 LDC.

So having a bit of spare time yesterday, instead of working the 12hrs I had to do on the Saturday, thought I would give Beryl a little TLC, as the annual pink slip is now due, and having just clocked over the 220,300kms.

So off with the side panel, out with plug #2, open NGK packet and notice that these plugs only come with the one earth electrode, not the normal two. hmmmmmm ok, will use anyway.

A bit of "never sieze" and in with plug #2, Out with plug #1, in with new NGK plug #1.

On with spark plug caps.

Hmmmmmmmm that dont feel right, feels a bit sloppy.

AAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh hhhhhhhh

no flaming screw caps on the end of the spark plug. Now where did I put that glass screw top jar with all those spark plug screw caps in.............???......?????....??????? couldn't even use the ones form the old plugs as they are welded on....bugger.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrr

Out with plug #1, out with plug #2, in with old wired brushed plug #1, well you know the rest...

On with side panels....mutter mutter.

Motohansa say they are not importing these dual earth electrode plugs, yes, these are the NGK direct equivilants, and yes sorry bout that, and will have four screw caps for you.

Sigh........you would think I shoulda known better....have got 35,000kms outta these existing plugs and would have no hassles about going the 40,000kms but heyyyy may as well change whilst I was getting brake pads etc.

Another annual thing I always seem to have to do before taking it to the garage for the pink slip is clean the rear brake light switch in fuel. Each year, I have to take off the switch, put in ultra sonic cleaner and leave for 15 minutes....another annoying thing.

Soooo next time you get some spark plugs look for the screw cap. Just a heads up.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	39247  

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Re: How annoying the progress of spark plugs

Yeah Phil, interesting, I got 4 NGK's from BBY with some brake pads etc and they have the caps welded on but mine didn't have the suffix -9, which I presume is preset gap of 0.9mm (0.036"). I noted that my NGK's are slightly different size across the flats than the original Bosch plugs, can't remember now, but I think the BMW tube spanner in the tool kit won't fit the NGK's. On the K100's people used to get caught regularly with the cap thing. They'd install the plugs and slip on the plug leads and after a while the inside of the brass fittings would be all eroded from sparking. Still seemed to run OK though. I don't think standard plugs will be deterimental to performance vs the Bosch twing earth electrode type.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: How annoying the progress of spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
<snip>interesting, I got 4 NGK's from BBY <snip> and they have the caps welded on but mine didn't have the suffix -9, which I presume is preset gap of 0.9mm (0.036"). I noted that my NGK's are slightly different size across the flats than the original Bosch plugs, can't remember now, but I think the BMW tube spanner in the tool kit won't fit the NGK's. On the K100's people used to get caught regularly with the cap thing. They'd install the plugs and slip on the plug leads and after a while the inside of the brass fittings would be all eroded from sparking. Still seemed to run OK though. I don't think standard plugs will be deterimental to performance vs the Bosch twing earth electrode type.
Hi Dennis,
Just to clarify, my BMW toolkit spark plug socket was ok with these NGK plugs. Maybe things get shrunk when transported to your place
Perhaps, with hindsight I was a little pre-emptive in stating that I would be ok in getting the extra 5000kms to make it to the 40,000kms since the last plug change. Plugs #1, #2 and #4 look good, (maybe I can get a refund on these??) but plug #3 has definately expired it's life cycle. Presuming that the sooty look on plug #3 is due to the electrode whiskering and obvious misfire.

cheers

Motohansa charged me $A8.5 per NGK plug, no charge for the screw caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug change at 220300kms pix1 Aug13.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	39466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug change at 220300kms pix2 Aug13.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	39474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug change at 220300kms pix4 Aug13.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	39482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug change at 220300kms pix6 Aug13.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	39490  

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 15th, 2013, 9:08 pm
cws

Garage
Re: How annoying the progress of spark plugs

Was just checking on the Boneyard site for current prices/availability, and they state with their LT kit that "and 4 Bosch XR7LDC spark plugs. Due to availability issues with the Bosch plugs we may at time substitute NGK DCPR7E plugs".
I bought my last kit when our dollar was high and that helped offset shipping costs, and got the Bosch plugs.... straight "plug & play" swap.

Phil, great to hear the ol' girl is still chugging along well... may she get many more k's under her fine German waistline.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in