Shocking story - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 3:27 am Thread Starter

Shocking story

Guys I've been working on the starship enterprise today doing the throttle cable upgrade and fitting a new GPS also suburbans footpeg lowering brackets and fuel disconnect fittings ,anyway after all the work pulling all the Tupperware off I've been thinking of upgrading the shocks while its apart.question is Ohlins or Wilber's .I think last time we had a ride together a few of the guys had Wilber's ......thoughts for and against ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 4:30 am

Re: Shocking story

Steve,
I fitted Wilbers to my unit some months back. Have to say I am very happy with the outcome. One of the reasons for the upgrade was the SO did not enjoy the ride on the old worn out units. With the newbees, she is happy to ride.
I have to say it was not the cheapest option, but has resulted in a more confident ride all up.

If you are interested, I would be happy to catch up and discuss further. I live in Seven Hills.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 8:40 am
cws

Garage

Just off the top of my tired head, and someone will tell me if I"m wrong... but I think the Wilbers can be rebuilt, the Ohlins can't...... I went Wilbers front & rear, and recently a Hyperpro RSC damper.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 2:46 am Thread Starter

Hey Brian where did you get them US or OZ and approx how much ,did you get the up spec version or the basis ones.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 4:54 am

Steve,
I purchased them locally from a guy in Penrith South. He has done some work for a couple of guys on this forum.

Sean O'Sullivan
Unit , 7, 9 - 11 Abel Street.Penrith South
02 47325533.

He had the shocks built for my statistics for $2278.00. This included the hand pre loader for the rear. I installed them myself in a couple of hours. No issues.

Not a cheap option I know, but I have to say that the bike now is a completely different animal. As Chris stated, another reason for Wilbers is the ability to have them rebuilt if and when required. You can also have them adjusted if they do not meet your expectations.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 6:03 am Thread Starter

Thanks Brian for the info ,I'll give him a call tomorrow and have a chat.Id prefer to get them here as if there's a problem it's easily sorted.ill let you know the outcome.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 6:54 am

Ring Sean after lunch. He works from home in the mornings and is easier to contact in the pm. Another option is to have Sean rebuild your rear which is a much cheaper option and he completes it within 3 weeks. There is a good thread on here from Phill Ward about it.

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Just off the top of my tired head, and someone will tell me if I"m wrong... but I think the Wilbers can be rebuilt, the Ohlins can't...... I went Wilbers front & rear, and recently a Hyperpro RSC damper.
Ohlins are also rebuildable. Many places in the US rebuild Ohlins. I had mine done once, Under $200 for the pair, but that was a few years ago.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 11:30 am
Enjoy The Ride

Yacugar also makes shocks for the LT and also Hyperpro shocks. All four shock companies shocks are rebuildable.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 1:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys Ive spoken to ASR and Sean at SOS suspensions today and their both about the same price.Im going with SOS as their local and he will do an express delivery for a bit more dollars.I am going with the 641,s with the hydraulic preload on the rear.After speaking with Sean he recommended the hyd preload if you do two up with a load so that's what I do so decision made. They are custom made to rider and pillion weight as well as load and rider style so looking forward to feeling the difference as I've always been pretty happy with the way the big girl handled anyway.....
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 2:02 am
cws

Garage

Thanks for clarification guys on rebuilds, wasn't certain.

Steve, you won't regret the upgrade...
Cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Yeh Chris looking forward to light throttle ,more leg room and better handling .Lifes good !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in