General Chit Chat... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2013, 3:35 am Thread Starter

General Chit Chat...

Hi Fellow Aussies,
Seems a little quiet on the local front,
I went for a ride to Lockhart on the LT on the weekend,
Picked up a friend on the way and was about a 300km round trip.
Great town, Very tidy , Lots of arty farty stuff to look at
I have my 2dollars on NSW to win on Wed night....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2013, 4:50 am
cws

Garage
Re: General Chit Chat...

Hi Paul... yeah, get used to it being quiet on and off... good day for a ride though, wish I had, too much crap to do at home, as usual....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2013, 7:41 am

Yep a wonderful sunny day with dry roads
I gave the LT a rest and took the Sprint for a run up to the Pie. Many sport bikes out on the Old Pacific Highway tends to make it too dangerous to ride. Had a text from a buddy so met him at Galston for a coffee and a chat. It was that sort of a day

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2013, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Used to live in Galston many moons ago, One house was in quiet street behind the shops ( cant remember the name) and the other was School road, also lived on old northern road Dural and Glenorie and even spent some time at Maroota.
Bet it all looks different these days.
Used to travel Galston Gorge every day for work. That sure was a great way to start the day..... unless you caught a slow vehicle as you were approaching it
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker
Used to live in Galston many moons ago, One house was in quiet street behind the shops ( cant remember the name) and the other was School road, also lived on old northern road Dural and Glenorie and even spent some time at Maroota.
Bet it all looks different these days.
Used to travel Galston Gorge every day for work. That sure was a great way to start the day..... unless you caught a slow vehicle as you were approaching it
Ah the gorge... My playground!
I grew up in Arcadia and have many friends around the area. Most are spread far and wide these days so having the LT is a bonus for traveling to visit.
Don't know if you used to haunt the vicar but it's having a major facelift and hopefully a great meeting place once again.

Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2013, 3:46 am Thread Starter

The Vicar......?
That was where I lived....
Well I think I did sometimes.
It was 20 odd years ago and used to attempt to try my luck in the thurs night pool comp, I think Nev used to run it.
Had a group of friends and we would all meet on Fri night there and sometimes Sat night. Spoons was a mate and part of the furniture if he is still there? Was a (pick your own ) Strawberry farm next to it when I was a kid and we would go there and pick a ice cream bucket of strawberries for a dollar or 2... of course we would have a belly full of them by the time we picked a bucket full too
Friends lived on that big roundabout near pub in a double story old house with old market gardens out the back. Think all that is industrial land now.
Had a Mini Moke and that was my Gorge transport and there was chickens and roosters at the bottom rest area near the bridge, Think KFC got them.
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2013, 6:41 am

Can't remember many of the homes around there except for the old Chew n Screw haha
Quarry Rd has industrial units on the south side (incl a bike shop) the other side is a preschool.

So Paul, you've had the bike for a couple of weeks now. Is it what you expected?

Ulysses member #60049
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 4:22 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: General Chit Chat...

Hey Greg.
Bike has been a top ride so far.
its not sports bike territory here , very flat and lots of basically straightish roads, Takes about 3 or so hours to get to some winding stuff around the base of the snowys but still the majority of people here own sports bikes which are so unpractical for this region or a large amount of Harleys.
The Harley owners can generally be seen on a sunny sunday with them parked out the front of the café as they admire them while having a frothy latte alfresco style then ride them 3km back home to park them in the shed again until another optimum temperature day comes around again,,, Sounding a tad cynical aren't I?
I bought the LT as a comfortable tourer and a alternative to the 4WD for getting away and to eat up the miles in comfort while being as kind to my ageing bones as possible and as a bit of a hobby to tinker with as money allows.
Had an old RT years ago with the skinniest of tyres and those giant square panniers and it was rated to 140 km and boy if you took over that speed you would soon realize why they put that limit on it,,, It would weave all over the road,, Nothing to do with the cheese cutters it was the faring that would make the wind misbehave and toss the bike around.
So compared to that old girl this bike is a dream to ride and rides like a limo.
It did take some getting used to the weight and the length when turning or parking, I find I have to pre plan my parking or turning opportunities. Im getting used to it now and can turn it 180 on a narrow country road without putting feet down now.
It doesn't drip a drop of oil and seems very tight with only a slight amount of backlash in the shaft which I think may be typical for these bikes, The final drive does not make a noise and when I changed the oil I filled it up then span the wheel and that took up some oil through the gear and I filled it up a bit more, Better overfull than underfull I suppose???
So yes im liking it
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 6:29 am
PCH

Quote:
Hey Greg.
Bike has been a top ride so far.
its not sports bike territory here , very flat and lots of basically straightish roads, Takes about 3 or so hours to get to some winding stuff around the base of the snowys but still the majority of people here own sports bikes which are so unpractical for this region or a large amount of Harleys.
The Harley owners can generally be seen on a sunny sunday with them parked out the front of the café as they admire them while having a frothy latte alfresco style then ride them 3km back home to park them in the shed again until another optimum temperature day comes around again,,, Sounding a tad cynical aren't I?
I bought the LT as a comfortable tourer and a alternative to the 4WD for getting away and to eat up the miles in comfort while being as kind to my ageing bones as possible and as a bit of a hobby to tinker with as money allows.
Had an old RT years ago with the skinniest of tyres and those giant square panniers and it was rated to 140 km and boy if you took over that speed you would soon realize why they put that limit on it,,, It would weave all over the road,, Nothing to do with the cheese cutters it was the faring that would make the wind misbehave and toss the bike around.
So compared to that old girl this bike is a dream to ride and rides like a limo.
It did take some getting used to the weight and the length when turning or parking, I find I have to pre plan my parking or turning opportunities. Im getting used to it now and can turn it 180 on a narrow country road without putting feet down now.
It doesn't drip a drop of oil and seems very tight with only a slight amount of backlash in the shaft which I think may be typical for these bikes, The final drive does not make a noise and when I changed the oil I filled it up then span the wheel and that took up some oil through the gear and I filled it up a bit more, Better overfull than underfull I suppose???
So yes im liking it
Check the specs on the FD fill. If it is like the RT is is a specific amount and no more. More over pressuries it apparently
Regards

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Garage

yeah to much oil and it froths out the breather and spews all over the place, you only fill it to the bottom of the threads in the filler hole.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2013, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys ill reopen the hole tomorrow and have a look at that. Does the same apply for the gearbox
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2013, 6:57 am
cws

Garage

It'll dribble out of the gearbox as soon as you put too much in... can't overfill it.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2013, 7:48 am Thread Starter

That's what I did with the FD Chris, I filled it up then I spun the back wheel and it took up oil through the gears and the level dropped so I topped it up, if I left it long enough no doubt it would have regained again on its own over time

Carn, the Aussies in the ashes
Paul
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 12:30 am
PCH

Quote:
That's what I did with the FD Chris, I filled it up then I spun the back wheel and it took up oil through the gears and the level dropped so I topped it up, if I left it long enough no doubt it would have regained again on its own over time

Carn, the Aussies in the ashes
Paul
With the RT the fill amount on the FD is exact ( 800 ml), not sure about the LT but I would guess it is the same. I would check . The spec has been changed twice I know of.
regards
Pch

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 8:43 am
cws

Garage

As Axle said, fill to the bottom of the threads on the FD... Have you ordered your Clymers yet Pecker?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Why do I need a Clymers when I have you guys with all the knowledge I need
Went to Euchuca on the weekend to the winter blues festival , Its held in the historic part of town near the river, Bands in every pub street corner and its all free,, My favorite kind of money!!! great atmosphere and music . Stayed with a friend in their house on the banks of the Murray with great views from the deck...
Took the QE2 for a run, Approx 600km round trip, Didn't have a problem with her and she did the run effortlessly. Loaded up the side cases to keep the load low and left the top box mostly free so I could lock my helmet in it when pulled up , coming back home on Sunday I got some wind... (no it wasn't the chiko roll I ate) it was a northerly wind that I was heading into or copping it across the starboard side..... Seemed to handle it not to bad considering the Tupperware on her.
I did get a slight numbness in the down under region after a couple of hours in the saddle but with a nothing to brag about fuel capacity I was off and fuelling up and recovering before too long.
All in all the bike went real well and did all asked of it .
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 9:35 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
coming back home on Sunday I got some wind... (no it wasn't the chiko roll I ate) it was a northerly wind that I was heading into or copping it across the starboard side..... Seemed to handle it not to bad considering the Tupperware on her.
If you ever cop that cross-wind and you're on some of those long flat roads out your way, try playing with the little lower side wings under the mirrors... they can help balance the buffeting by altering how much air you let through on the opposite side to the direction of the wind... stabilising the bike more in a strong cross-wind.
eg, if I've got a heavy wind from the RH side, I'll close the LH flap in toward the bike, letting more air through on that side and offsetting the buffeting from the right, while keeping the RH one opened up.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Yeh good idea ,I'll give it a go also and just on the posterior department I found the standard LT seat bloody awful on anything longer than a couple hundred Kay's so I use an Airhawk on all my bikes and I find it helps,it's not the be all to end all but it's better than not.I am tossing up at the moment about a Russell Day long seat but well see after I fit the Wilber's .

2001 k1200lt
2010 r1200gsa 30yr
2006 Harley Deluxe
1996 gsxr 750
2006 gsxr 1000
2007 ktm 525 exc
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 3:55 am

Went for a ride up to Stroud on Saturday to see some local Ulysses guys. It was the first time I've had Kate on the back since I bought the Z-technic screen at freeway speeds. I raise the screen just a bit so I was looking through it and in the quiet zone (nice). Kate said she felt the difference and I have to keep it raised for her from now on. Yes dear

Ulysses member #60049
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 4:23 am

Yeh that's good to hear Greg,is that the Vstream from Teknik ,cause I've got a no name taller screen and its fine but I have been looking at the Vstream for long distance riding two up ...

2001 k1200lt
2010 r1200gsa 30yr
2006 Harley Deluxe
1996 gsxr 750
2006 gsxr 1000
2007 ktm 525 exc
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 5:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1
Yeh that's good to hear Greg,is that the Vstream from Teknik ,cause I've got a no name taller screen and its fine but I have been looking at the Vstream for long distance riding two up ...
Steve, check on eBay. That is where I found them. I have the medium size which is ideal for me.

Ulysses member #60049

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in