Just a simple Question about the brown wire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 3:49 am Thread Starter

Just a simple Question about the brown wire

Hi all Ozzy riders !!

I have read a lot about the (brown wire cut) and sensor unplugging to make the bike think it is running cooler and dump the full load of fuel into it,,, As I understand it,, Please correct me if im wrong

What I want to know if anyone in Oz has done this and if there is any real positive results as we do live in a warm climate,, most of the time,, And it sounds it would benefit us,,
Cheers.. Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 5:46 am
cws

Garage
Re: Just a simple Question about the brown wire

I'm about 99.9% sure that its US bikes only, they had some additional emissions control stuff that we never had to worry about.
They also focused their headlights on the wrong side of the road.....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 5:53 am Thread Starter

Next thing you will be telling me they have to ride it in the reverse gear being on the other side of the world???

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:10 am
cws

Garage

Nah, but some of them do put their tyres (tires) on backwards.... True!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:30 am

Garage

yeah I did mine a couple of years ago, only tried it on a couple of rides and soldered it back together as I didn't notice any difference, mind you it only gets hot for a couple of weeks a year LOL. so if you are not having any problems I would suggest leaving it alone.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Hi Linton;

I have seen posts from USA where they have cut it and put a toggle switch in to flick in between as it suits,
Chris said its a US thing only and we don't have the same emission issues so I guess it doesn't apply to us.

Another reason why we are lucky to live in this great country

Paul
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 7:47 am
cws

Garage

Heh, heh... Don't necessarily take what I say as gospel... Sometimes my memory fails me and I get it wrong.
Search for a consensus opinion on such things and make sure you satisfy yourself with your answer.

I recently sold a mates F800Gs that had a switch to fool the temp sensor on those bikes.. Similar effect I think, but different cause for a hesitation than with the LT's.

BTW, the LT loves 95 unleaded... But not ethanol blend so much although its supposed to be OK.
I found after a long time using it that it runs much better on normal unleaded fuel, and not worth the few cents/litre saved.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Garage

Paul
depends on what year your bikes is if it has the wire or the connector, mines an 02 it has the brown wire as per my previous post, I have never had the hesitation just thought I might get better economy, nothing changed, like Chris mentioned, for fuel use premium it's more expensive but for the amount of fuel in the tank a few extra cents is not important. the bike will perform better and go further on premium, also grab a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and run a couple of tanks through it that might also give it a boost,

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Hi Linton,
it seems to be a issue only during the summer.
It does climb over 40 quite regular out here so I think I will wait for summer and see if it hesitates or plays up at all

Mine is also a 02 model,
Does yours have the sensor on the air box too???

I took the top box the other day to see if it still had that fuel canister and it has already been removed.
That was another job that is recommended to do by our USA cousins

Well Its Sunday and (some) blue skies abound here and I have a willing passenger waiting for a ride so its time to take the big girl out for a ride... (that's the bike i'm talking about).

Paul
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Garage

Paul we have European model, they do not have the canister,, the yank bikes are slightly different to ours not all there tips apply to our model, but mostly everything is the same. By the way today is Saturday LOL, , and yours will have the brown wire not the sensor, its under the seat on the right rail, have a look at the main loom wire running down the frame and there will be a little loop of brown wire sticking out of the loom its about 2mm thick from memory.
well at least you know how to take off the top box now, wait till you have to take the out the fuel tank to check the air filter then you can change the disconnects at the same time

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jun 28th, 2013 at 6:57 pm.
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 4:56 am Thread Starter

Sunday bloody Sunday...
Yes I had a free day off work on Friday and got my Satur's and Sun's mixed up!!!!!!

Packed a picnic in one of the cases and picked a lady friend up and went to a park and cooked a BBQ lunch fed the ducks, Went riding and sight seeing to another town had coffee then dropped her off and fuelled up with Premium fuel as I have always done in my bikes.. and headed home

Checked the trip meter along the way and seemed to consistently receive 5.4lt/ 100km
Is this what you guys get?

Paul
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Garage

the trip meter can be very inaccurate only way to do a fuel check is per normal record fill up and work it out the speedo will be out by up to 8km I use my gps to work out mileage much easier, but in saying all that your 5.4, 2 up would be about right,

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in