Helmets... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Helmets...

Hi Again,
Well it was a perfect sunny day out here in the west.
Picked up a lady friend on the newly acquired LT and we headed out for a picnic.
The extension screen I ordered will be arriving next week.
I have a Nolan Xlite helmet that I have had for about 8 years and seem to get a fair a mount of wind noise in it.
My question is have helmets improved greatly over that time for noise and what does everyone else have that is comfortable and quiet.
Recommendations would be appreciated.

Paul....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 7:33 am

Re: Helmets...

First of all never keep a helmet more than5 years. The interior is dip one by that time and will not protect your head as good as it should. Of course it's better than no helmet at all.

I just got the latest version of the BMW helmet and it has changed a lot. Had version 1 and 4 prior to this one. The latest model is much more silent than any other helmet I ever had.

I believe that's the same if you buy the latest model Schubert as well. (Probably made in the same factory)
post #3 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Garage

nah mines noisy only just over 12 months old have had Nolan flips, even considered an open face but it gets a bit to cold down here, play with the screen till you get a sweet spot. I look about 2 inches over the screen, or put it all the way up and look through it, there is no distortion on the ztechnic screen its great.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 9:10 pm
cws

Garage

I recently bought a Shark flip-face after having the BMW one for several years, pretty happy with it, see thread on helmets from a little while back.
Reasonably quiet with the visor all the way down, with it up it vibrates and rattles a little... just haven't tried to find a way to stop that yet...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:58 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Schuberth is very nice at reducing noise...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm
cws

Garage

Can't buy Schuberth in OZ though, have to buy the BMW branded one...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:05 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

That should work...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:10 pm
cws

Garage

sure, if you want to spend ~ $1000 on a helmet

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 28 Old Jun 17th, 2013, 5:16 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.
Linton, If I can ask how tall are, that screen sounds good> I don't mind looking through the screen (after all I do it when I have my helmet visor down).
My extension screen is at PO just have to find time to pick it up now!!!
I have seen the Shuberth helmets online and they sound like a top bit of gear.
WHY cant we get them here????? is it because of the locking strap set up which doesn't meet oz standards?
We have shops full of 80dollar Chinese ones but a 650 plus helmet that is fit for all others overseas markets gets a knockback.
I'm tempted to buy one on line,
Seem to be about 650 for a C3 flip top,
Chris Why did you go to a Shark form a BMW one. Was it price or other issues ?

Paul
post #10 of 28 Old Jun 17th, 2013, 7:04 am

Garage

hey Paul
I am only 5'11 but my Russell seat has lifted me abit another inch at least, when the old girl is on the back and its not very often now I put it all the way up to protect her.
I lift the screen about an 1/12 off the bottom. when I am by myself and only get slight buffeting when look over the screen. none at all when fully up, I don't need earplugs, and I never have my visor down unless it is raining. 125000km now

also it is very different to look through a visor compared to looking through a screen, its not like being in a car.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 28 Old Jun 18th, 2013, 6:14 am
cws

Garage

I just wrote a long answer and bloody Ipad screwed it up..... Oh we'll..
Here's a link to my lid at MCAS on sale as an example
Click

Don't buy from OS, not Australian Standards Certified which could give an insurance problem in case of accident.... ie, no coverage!
I tried lots of helmets for comfort, fit and design features... and price!
For me, the Shark won out over all the others I tried... BMW 6, Shoei's, Bell, Nolan, HJC etc, etc..... And the price was reasonable.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 28 Old Jun 19th, 2013, 7:43 am

Ive got the shoei 9000 had it about 6 years probably the most comfortable helmet I've worn and no wind noise to speak of.
post #13 of 28 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 3:37 am

I've had my Nolan N102 flip face for 7 years. Always check the internal chin strap lugs for corrosion from sweat. Mine seem all good. Rather a 7 year old full face helmet than any brand new open face in a crash I thought the Nolan was slightly noisy at the sides until I rode a mates' ZX9 for 20 minutes, that was enough ! Fully faired bikes with proper screens only for me, and ATTGATT, no compromise.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #14 of 28 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks for reply everyone,
Linton....... I got my extension screen but have to fit it yet,
Its a MRA Xcreen with the clamp kit so I don't have to drill holes in my OEM screen if I don't like it or it doesn't do what I want it too, I got it online from Aussie biker, If im not happy with it I will go with the one you recommended

Chris... That a great looking helmet , I fit a L in the Nolan is Shark same sizing do you think, You tried the lot on didn't you.
How do you find it for noise?? Mine seems to get noise coming underneath but it is about 8 years and a bit worn , I really think a flip up is the way to go. Price looks good too.

Dennis...
I had a 1200 bandit for many years prior to my LT and I got sick of the full force of the wind too,, I found trips away would give me a sore neck from the wind trying to push my helmet of the back of the bike,,, Only problem was my head was in it at the time...

Alpha..
. Do they still make the Shoei 9000?

Cheers all
Paul
post #15 of 28 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 7:12 pm
cws

Garage

My last helmet and my first flip-face was a BMW System 5 in XL size. While it was a great fit for a while, it eventually got pretty sloppy, which probably means it wasn't quite tight enough when I first bought it. It wasn't all that quiet considering the cost, and was pretty bad for fogging up and letting rain in. The only thing I really liked was the snap-lock chinstrap.
I tried the new BMW System 6 XL helmet on when they first arrived in Jan/Feb, and couldn't even get my head into it it was that tight... very strange. And as I said, at around $1000 I just couldn't see the value in it.
I tried XL's in flip-face Nolan (varous models), Shoei etc... they were a comfortable fit straight up, not too tight.. but I didn't like some of the features, particularly the way the internal tinted visor is cut. When dropped down, I found it really annoying having a large circular nose-piece cut out because you see it in different ways from each eyes, and I find that distracting. Like holding 1 finger in front of your nose.. you see 2 fingers when focussing on a distant object because you can't converge your eyes to form a single image on the close object ( I work in film production and a lot of 3D productions and I see the bad effects of this sort of thing all the time when images aren't presented to the eyes properly.. it winds up hurting your eyes).
The Shark in L size was a little tight at first, but about 3-4 months of daily wearing its still firm but very comfortable, and the internal visor is "almost" a straight cut so doesn't exhibit the same distracting features as badly.
Only wish the snap-lock chin-strap was available out here... apparently they make one but it wasn't available on the models I tried.
Yes, there's a little wind noise from underneath.. being a flip-face it doesn't have the extra under-chin webbing that helps reduce that, but with the visor down and locked in place its pretty quiet.
I usually ride with the visor 1 notch open (behind Ztechnic medium windscreen), and on the Shark its great because one-notch is just a tiny crack open, on the BMW it was about 1/4" or more open.

There's good reviews of helmets on the US site Revzilla.com. This link should take you to the Shark Evoline video... hunt around and you'll find other brands reviewed also. Just a pity we can't buy them from US and have them be legal here.... we pay significantly extra for the Australian Standards sticker.
They've also got a great section about helmet fitment and reviews of different helmet features.

End of day, you've really got to try them on for fit, as I was surprised at the variation in sizing when I tested a lot of helmets back in Feb. Don't know how you'd manage that from Griffith, how many bike shops out your way.... ???
If I put a tape-measure around my forehead its about 585-590mm or ~23" (no wise-cracks.. please... lol) so according to their fitment I should be an XL... although he also mentions in the video on touring helmets that with the Shark Evoline to go down one size because they are larger size... which is what I did. :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 3:57 am Thread Starter

Well I paid a visit to one of the local bike shops we have here out west.
After fighting my way through all the off road helmets ..as you can imagine in a town that thrives on dirt bike sales...I found a few road helmets at the back of the stands.
I really want a flip top and the only ones they had were the Nolan and Shark.
Fortunately the Shark Rep must have paid a recent visit and has set up a stand with the range and brochures
Must admit I was taken with the Shark and complete flip back chin bar ,,, That is so cool;;;;
Tried it on and it fits great and can notice the more forward chin pads compared to the old Nolan and a instant reduction in noise, just what I was after.
I ordered one and the dealer said they would meet the online prices,, $60 difference!!!!
So im happy and waiting for it to arrive now

P.S.
Saw 3guys travvelling through town on bikes on saturday..
One on a RT one on a GS and one on a kwaka GT

Paul
post #17 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 5:04 am
cws

Garage

See, its worth hanging around here. Well done, hope you like it.

Which model did you get, and what size?

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 5:24 am Thread Starter

Hey again Chris.
I LUUUVED the Evoline 3 and since my bike is silver I ordered silver,,,
But I have had a silver one for 8 years so I changed it to the white with black highlights and a red flash,,,
Looks sporty and should be cool in summer I hope
post #19 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Oh And yes..
I went down a size with the Shark to a Medium
Hope that doesn't represent brain matter loss????
post #20 of 28 Old Jun 27th, 2013, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

WEEEEEEL... just a boring update on the helmet....

After the local dealer saying he would order helmet on Monday and it would be here on Wed (at the latest) I spoke to him tues and he had not even ordered it????

Local Dealer said he would have to ring Shark rep and freight companys and get back to me stuffed me around with prices and wanted to charge me more than the online prices (after saying he would meet them) plus he wanted to charge me $25 to get it here,,, Oh the joys of living in the country and having limited competition in town !

So I told him I would just order it online which I did and it was delivered in 2 day and it was cheaper than what he quoted and they only charged me $8 freight.
Trying to help out the local economy can be hard work sometimes.
It arrived yesterday and looks GREAT, Haven't taken it for a ride but will do on the weekend.

Also find the original grips a little small for my hands so I got a pair of Grip Puppies and have put them on, Will be interesting to see how they go too

Paul.
post #21 of 28 Old Jun 27th, 2013, 8:39 pm
cws

Garage

sounds like you're on top of it.
Did you get the grip puppies locally or order from the US? I've ordered a number of sets from California Sport Touring in the past... about as close as I could find them.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 28 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 3:20 am Thread Starter

Hi Chris

Re grip puppies...

I actually told the local Honda dealer about them when I bought the bike of them.

They had never heard of them and I only learnt of them from reading in this informative site.
they rang me to say they had them in stock and ordered 3 pairs in for the hope of future sales.

Said they had to order them from W.A.
I didn't ask who but someone there must import them..???

Cost me $29.95. Not cheap but considered to the price of feeding a real puppy all the time its cheap

P.S What colour Helmet did you get?

Paul
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 5:57 am
cws

Garage

Helmet, exactly as in that pic I linked to, mainly white, some black striping with a red strip... In gloss. . Probably same as you got.

The grip puppies can be bought from CAS in the US.
Small size fit the LT.
Cheaper to buy several pairs and have them posted here, which is what we've done in the past. Did a group buy and got about 6 or 7 pairs sent out, then on-posted to the other guys that wanted them at cost. Much cheaper all round. :-)
I've found they last a couple years then start cracking, so I have spares so can just cut the old one off and put a new one one.
For small stuff like that its worth posting here first to ask if anyone's interested in a group buy.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #24 of 28 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:50 am Thread Starter

I will in future post and see if we can bulk purchase any bits n bobs we need. Just learning my way around here and enjoying it all.
Hope to try helmet tomorrow if its not raining

P.S. what are those 2 holes for on the handlebars,, One is in front of the cruise button and other in front of the kill switch
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 28th, 2013, 6:58 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker
what are those 2 holes for on the handlebars,, One is in front of the cruise button and other in front of the kill switch
common parts between several bike models, they are for mirror stalks. You can put the RS mirrors on there for better rear vision. Do a search for RS mirrors, there's pics of mine and others bikes that have them installed. A must-have if towing...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #26 of 28 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 5:28 am Thread Starter

Update on the new Shark Helmet.

Had its first run today

Was an improvement definitely over my old Nolan ,
Love the versatility of the flip top First one I have owned and its such a novelty to ride with a open face... never had one before.
Was still quiet with the chin guard up while behind the screen.
The forward cheek pads took a little getting used too but the slide down sun shield is a blessing .
Its such a well thought out helmet and I can see myself using it in the open face mode more than closed for my riding
Paul
post #27 of 28 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 9:14 am

I am late to the party on this one, but I absolutely love my HJC IS-MAX modular helmet. it is quieter than other modulars and fit's my typical american pumpkin shaped head.
post #28 of 28 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 5:30 pm
PCH

Nearly bought a Shark to replace my Multitec but didnt fit as well as a Neotec. The Neotec is a fair bit quiter than the Multitec and the sunsheild is cool.
Regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in