New LT Rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 7:44 am Thread Starter

New LT Rider

Hi all,
My story I sold my bike last year (1200 Bandit) and recently I walked into one of my local bike dealers (not a BMW one) and fell for a shiny 02LTthey had sitting on the floor... I couldn't resist the smooth stylish lines and the size is a plus for me in my books, I have always liked big bikes - but this bike seemed to dwarf the others.
I booked a test ride for the following day and well.... its now sitting in my shed
I have searched a few items on line and came across this site.
Everyone here seems very keen to be helpful so I thought it would be a great place to ask a few questions that may be of benefit in my ownership of this wonderful bike.
I am good at doing basic mechanical repairs but you just cant beat good old experience and I get the jist that you guys have that.
The bike has only 60,000km on it which seems minimal for this kind of bike and starts and runs nicely.
The back tyre is a Metz and seems to be a bit old and hard and I get a bit of noise of it over rougher roads but seems to go quiet on a smooth section ... Well im hoping its the tyre. The bike has been sitting for a while and tyre seems to have aged.
I have ordered a extension screen that is adjustable so hopefully can throw the remaining air over my helmet as I am 6.3" and it seems the OEM screen is not quite high enough but if I crouch down slightly it is a smooth quiet ride,,,, Just what I want and expect when riding a bike of this calibre
Dealer said bike was serviced prior to my picking up and it has a new front tyre new battery and they put 12 months rego on it so I hope I am right to go for a while.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Re: New LT Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker
The back tyre is a Metz and seems to be a bit old and hard and I get a bit of noise of it over rougher roads but seems to go quiet on a smooth section ... Well im hoping its the tyre.
Welcome to the site Paul and congratulations on the LT.

The ME880 has about as long a tread life that's available on a bike. But the trade off is that they are not known for their stickiness. A lot of folks, myself included, run 42psi/front and 48psi/rear. If the previous owner did not tend to the tire pressure consistently then they may have cupped, giving you some road noise among other things.

If you don't know how long the bike has had those particular tires then it may be time to replace them. As my riding buddy always says: I don't like to use another man's rubber.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 27 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Garage

Hi Paul welcome to the forum

I put one of these screens on mine they are great
ztecknic tall screen
good aussie company to deal with.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 12:13 am

Welcome Paul
I have to agree with Axle and say go for the Ztechnic screen although I have the medium size and never need to raise it for day to day riding, I don't have ducks disease but I'm not as tall as you.

cheers,
Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #5 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 3:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Welcome to the site Paul and congratulations on the LT.

The ME880 has about as long a tread life that's available on a bike. But the trade off is that they are not known for their stickiness. A lot of folks, myself included, run 42psi/front and 48psi/rear. If the previous owner did not tend to the tire pressure consistently then they may have cupped, giving you some road noise among other things.

If you don't know how long the bike has had those particular tires then it may be time to replace them. As my riding buddy always says: I don't like to use another man's rubber.

Greg
Hi Greg and thanks for your reply.
upon further inspection the tyres do seem to have some cracking so I think a new one is on the menu.
The dealer gave me a guide of 37 front and 42 rear so when I get the new one I will try your new recommended pressures..
And as long as they aren't too soft then the rubbers should go on fine
Paul.
post #6 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 4:03 am Thread Starter

Hi Greg and Linton.
Thanks for the welcome to the site.
I looked up your link and they do look like a good screen.
My extension is arriving early next week so I will see how it goes but I wish I knew about the one you sent me before I ordered it as when I searched that site never came up.
I am still finding my way around this bike and want to know if you recommend any things I should check.
Does the handlebars have to be in a certain position before the brake reservoir is opened for filling... Centre /side stand?
What brand of oils are recommended?
Paul
post #7 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 4:33 am

Quote:
Hi Greg and Linton.
Thanks for the welcome to the site.
I looked up your link and they do look like a good screen.
My extension is arriving early next week so I will see how it goes but I wish I knew about the one you sent me before I ordered it as when I searched that site never came up.
I am still finding my way around this bike and want to know if you recommend any things I should check.
Does the handlebars have to be in a certain position before the brake reservoir is opened for filling... Centre /side stand?
What brand of oils are recommended?
Paul
You're going to need a clymers manual if you intend on servicing/maintaining the bike yourself. There are some for sale on eBay.
If you have a look under my sig you can see a few things to look into, also 2 major things; clutch fluid, brake fluids. To replace either clutch or ABS unit is a very expensive exercise.
You can have a look at the thread below this one which mentions quite a lot of things to check. Most things can be found if you use the search function as well.

Most important of all. Enjoy your ride as much as we do!

Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #8 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 5:51 am Thread Starter

Hey Greg
The enjoyment of this great bike is first and foremost in my mind,
I live in a part of NSW where the roads are straight and long unfortunately, So a big tourer of this nature makes sense to eat up the miles in comfort.
No BMW dealer close by so will have to do a few of the minor services myself which I don't think is any major problem.
post #9 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 6:02 am
cws

Garage

Hi Paul, welcome from me also.
Before buying anything ASK this lot.... usually been there, done that...
this is the most helpful forum for the LT you'll ever find.

If you intend doing servicing yourself, and we suggest you do to save big bucks and also learn how to look after the bike better, then spend some spare time watching Kirk's fabulous online service videos... great way for you to get introduced to the bike.
Most of us wish we'd had for them for years instead of them just going online this year... they are a huge help, along with the Clymers you'll handle most any job needs doing.

Many threads about oil, tyres etc.
There's only about 3 rear tyres rated for the LT's weight, Metz, Bridgestone, Avon Storm II (I think)... I've always run Metz and very happy with them for the most part. 42/48 cold pressure is valid. Bridgestone rear a bit cheaper, but doesn't last as long normally according to other users.
Oils, follow manufacturers specs, ideally SG rated oils only for engine, some exceptions, check the specs. Dont just buy generic car oil.. doesnt have the right balace of chemicals apparently (search the threads)
For manuals etc check the Technical Files section, you'll find a lot of information already there. But you'll need to buy your Clymers Manual or the BMW shop manual... Clymers probably cheaper.

Enjoy....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 7:00 am

G'day Paul another welcome to the forum,regards tyres I've had my LT for 12yrs and tried all the tyres available and found the Bridgestone on the rear and the metzeler on the front the best combination as the wet weather grip of the Metz on the rear a bit dodgy.The Metz definitely has the better mileage though.I use 42psi front and 44 psi on the rear also.
post #11 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the mail Chris,
I have seen a few of your mails in the oz section before.
I seem to be the only LT owner within "cooee" of here so I may have to rely on the knowledge of more well learned owners like yourself to help me through. so expect a few simple questions if you guys don't mind answering them
I am looking at this ownership as a combination of a hobby as well as pleasure,
Pleased to meet you all .
Paul
post #12 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1
G'day Paul another welcome to the forum,regards tyres I've had my LT for 12yrs and tried all the tyres available and found the Bridgestone on the rear and the metzeler on the front the best combination as the wet weather grip of the Metz on the rear a bit dodgy.The Metz definitely has the better mileage though.I use 42psi front and 44 psi on the rear also.
Hello to you to Alpha.
I actually have the complete opposite (as I bought it) being the Metz on rear and BS up front, The pressures I was quoted were lower than that but he was a Honda dealer I bought it from!
It does seem to "skittle" around a bit on the uneven surface.... and believe me we have plenty of that out here in the west NSW. it will take a little time with pressures and some new thongs on it to settle it down I expect.
Is all in the challenge and i'm up for it.
I used to always run Michelins on my other bike. Any recommendations there?
Paul
post #13 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 7:37 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
I used to always run Michelins on my other bike. Any recommendations there?
Paul
none rated for the rear unfortunately.

You'll probably find a few LT's around if you do any rides to bike meetings, like Snowy Ride or Ulysses. Not that many guys in Oz join or stay active on the forum, which is a pity. But those that are here love their LTs. :-)

No question too simple.... Someone will have an answer.
Also check "similar threads" links at bottom of posts when looking for info.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 27 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: New LT Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
none rated for the rear unfortunately.

You'll probably find a few LT's around if you do any rides to bike meetings, like Snowy Ride or Ulysses. Not that many guys in Oz join or stay active on the forum, which is a pity. But those that are here love their LTs. :-)

No question too simple.... Someone will have an answer.
Also check "similar threads" links at bottom of posts when looking for info.
See,,, have already learned something
post #15 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 6:27 am Thread Starter

Hey all.
Just another update on my progress.. (debatable word)

Luvvvvvvv my grip puppies , they seem to fit my hands so well

The extension screen is great but I feel it needs more wider protection for my pillion I have ordered a vtecnic screen tall as recommended by other users through Mototoys Sydney.
Ordered it on the weekend and they said they will ship it Monday but its Friday tomorrow and still waiting?
Bike is going great apart from that and making others jealous of my ride
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 7:27 am
cws

Garage

How are you finding the seat.... The OEM can be a pain in the butt after a little while. Best thing I ever did was get it altered & recovered in the US. Not easy, but so worth it.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Hi Chris,
Am finding the set real comfy compared to other rides I have had
Have not done a real long weekend ride on it yet and my passengers have not complained
am only getting it sorted so no real trips on it yet

Am loving the ride though
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 10:32 am

I too sold a bandit 1200 "naked" version before getting my LT.

The LT was my wife's choice, one look at the seat / backrest compared to the Bandit
and she was sold.

That being said, even with a wider shield and different shape from CeeBailey's the Pillion is not in the same wind tunnel designed heaven as the pilot is.

She is ok with that, as long as the temp is over 60f. out side.

enjoy the ride!

Bruce - pilot, Belynda - pillion
Oak Park, CA.
'99 K1200LT Champagne, 28,500mi
'04 R1150R Silver, 18,900 mi
'12 R1200RT Beige, 28,400 mi (sold 4/19)
post #19 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 7:07 pm
cws

Garage

The passenger seat is brilliant.. I've never heard of anyone complaining about the rear.. its the drivers seat that is badly designed (for most people it seems) with a "crown" which makes it very uncomfortable after a couple of hours, and why there's been a flourishing after-market business in rebuilding/reshaping seats. No way could I have ridden around Oz on the standard seat... I rode to Philip Island and back on it once, and that was too far.

Think you'll find once you get the Ztechnik screen that it is a little wider and has a much better air-envelope for both you and the passenger. It also seems to eliminate a lot of the "bug-splatter" on the inside of the windscreen thats annoying with the OEM shield.
Hope the tall one isn't too tall. I'm 5'10" and ride with the medium one just slightly raised so I mainly look over it..
there's some pics of the difference between the OEM Euro and the medium Ztechnik here .

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm

With'ya on the rider seat shape Chris ! Maybe there should be some kind of anatomical study done on the German butt shape, 'cause that standard seat sure doesn't fit my "profile". How can other seats like on the GW and HD Ultra Classic be totally different in shape (and close to correct), but ours are almost the exact opposite shape ?
Mine also feels like it wants to roll my hips forward rather than sitting in it like a bucket, annoying really. I tipped the front up by 20 mm, helped a bit but the whole thing is too soft and the wrong shape.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 9:07 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Maybe there should be some kind of anatomical study done on the German butt shape
I'm sure there has... but its probably quite inappropriate to link to that here....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 1:59 am

Geez you guys are a pack of whingers!. I've no problem with the OEM seat since I put on the sheepskin covers but then again I'm a fit young bloke with a German butt

Your screen will turn up soon. I went to Newcastle to pick up my screen and found Rod a great bloke to deal with.

I had a discussion with Brian (Bfree) about doing a rekky down Griffith way when the weather warms a tad, he was keen on it so we should start another thread to see who'd like to join us

Ulysses member #60049

Last edited by GJPinAU; Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:08 am.
post #23 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 2:02 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJPinAU
Geez you guys are a pack of whingers!. I've no problem with the OEM seat since I put on the sheepskin covers but then again I'm a fit young bloke with a German butt
... and that'd be why you've taken to riding a triumph???

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #24 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 2:41 am Thread Starter

Well screen finally arrived after 5 days floating around in V stream space

It sure is big and wide compared to OEM one
I put it on and went for a quick ride (like a kid with a new toy)
INSTANT difference .
It pushes that much wind aside that B doubles were moving in my wake.!! I found that with it all the way up it created a backward draft which was a strange feeling having air pushing me from behind, only the (giantest) of giants would need it that high though.
Hope to give it a good run tomorrow if weather permits
Paul
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 2:43 am
cws

Garage

like a new bike with every mod upgrade (farkles as the US lads call 'em). enjoy!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #26 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 3:09 am Thread Starter

I had a discussion with Brian (Bfree) about doing a rekky down Griffith way when the weather warms a tad, he was keen on it so we should start another thread to see who'd like to join us [/QUOTE]

Hi Greg..
Not too many good riding roads around here unfortunately everything is mostly flat and reasonably straight. ..(lower snowys, Albury , Corryong, Tumbarumba, Tumut ) are the best roads and closest to this area
Would love to catch up if your in the area though
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 3:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce60
I too sold a bandit 1200 "naked" version before getting my LT.

The LT was my wife's choice, one look at the seat / backrest compared to the Bandit
and she was sold.

That being said, even with a wider shield and different shape from CeeBailey's the Pillion is not in the same wind tunnel designed heaven as the pilot is.

She is ok with that, as long as the temp is over 60f. out side.

enjoy the ride!
hi Bruce
Mine was a half faring 1200 bandit 05, the last of the carby models.
Bought it new and cherished that bike, EXTREMELY fast and super reliable.
Think they were the same engines as in the old 1100 GS which they bored out, a very tried and proven bike.
Was the black one with the blue flecks in the paint which shone in the sun, Beautiful till some guy in a rush to put his footy tips on a Friday arvo at the pub decided to back into it , Cost his insurance a bit to replace bars and levers and exhaust and other items.
Sold it to a guy online, He rang me from Sydney (6hours away) and said he wanted it. I met him half way at a roadhouse near a town called Yass and he handed over the folding stuff before even riding it!! Deal done.
Before that I had a BMW R80RT ... Used to set the pace for the boy racers on that old girl when we went on runs.
Would tick them off that such a (frumpy) looking machine would beat the ninjas and likes into town,
Have bought the LT now as I really like the robust design of BMWs
Very unique machines indeed
Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in