Newbie and Questions NSW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Newbie and Questions NSW

Hi All,
I am looking to buy a 99 K1200LT 98000kms on it and I am looking for some advise.
A few questions:
Whats involved for a 100000k service and rough cost from a local dealer ie Procycles?
What should I be looking for on this bike re, issues?
The bike dose not have a service history, this worries me some what. Although its in great nick for its age.
I have had BMWs in the past and do most service work myself could the 100k service be completed at home with the right gear, I am in the upper Hunter valley. Not that close to any dealers.
Any thoughts on this possible purchase would really be great.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 4:16 am

Re: Newbie and Questions NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben650
Hi All,
I am looking to buy a 99 K1200LT 98000kms on it and I am looking for some advise.
A few questions:
Whats involved for a 100000k service and rough cost from a local dealer ie Procycles?
What should I be looking for on this bike re, issues?
The bike dose not have a service history, this worries me some what. Although its in great nick for its age.
I have had BMWs in the past and do most service work myself could the 100k service be completed at home with the right gear, I am in the upper Hunter valley. Not that close to any dealers.
Any thoughts on this possible purchase would really be great.
Thanks in advance
Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum.
If I was to buy that bike I would probably be doing the service myself, although I think 100,000 is a basic service (engine oil, gearbox oil, final drive oil, check brake pads, check clutch and brake fluid levels).
I would be inclined to perform the 90,000 service which includes plugs, air filter, fuel filter, change clutch and brake fluids, check valve clearances (anything I've forgotten?)
Things to look at would be quick disconnects on fuel lines, trunk latch, cow bell rear rotor.
Anything that you could think of doing to the LT will be found on here. As for suppliers of parts there is Beemer Boneyard in the US or locally there is Kickstart Components.
Your closest dealer would be Brisans in Newcastle.
Buying your bike is your choice but speaking from personal experience, I bought mine before I found this forum and have never been disappointed with the big girl.

cheers,
Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 9:58 am

Ben
I have a 2000 LT and recently completed all of the maintenance referred to by Greg as the 90,000k service. It is totally doable at home with the tools you probably already have. It takes time as the Tupperware has to come off and gas tank totally removed but the cost for a dealer to do this here in Canada at $110.00 dollars an hour for labour was over $2000.00. The parts cost about $250.00.
A caution from my experience. I do not have quick disconnects on the fuel line and found them very difficult to get apart. Indeed one split in the process and it took me some time to get new ones as they were back ordered to Germany. The lines as you may know are preformed to turn 180 degrees or fish hook as we say here. If you try to use straight line and turn it it will kink. I I'd a temporary fix by putting a spring over the fuel line to hold its shape and installed it. It worked in the short run but I put the new ones in when they arrived. I would recommend taking this on yourself as I am not real savvy in this regard and was able to figure it out. The forum is a great resource if you get into a jam.
Good luck.

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 3:28 am
cws

Garage

Welcome Ben.

The LT service videos posted by Kirk and a Clymers manual for the LT will get you through the service items you need to do.

You can buy all your parts from Beemerboneyard and get shipped here and still save money, even though our $$ has dropped somewhat.

Files on the Maintenance schedule can be found in the technical section, and if the bike is not your only transport then I'd agree with doing it all yourself over a couple of weekends to get to know the bike. Just order all the parts ahead of time.

Forum members are here to help, no question too simple....

Good luck if you purchase!

Cheers

Ps, one BIG thing I'd be checking is whether the clutch slips when revved hard while moving in 5th gear... If it does you might need new clutch, $$ job but can be done yourself, plenty of stories here.
Maybe also read up on Final Drive threads on earlier models... Not that I want to worry you, but better to be forewarned that some bikes have had drive failures and needed rebuilds.
As you'll see though, plenty of bikes have gone well over 100k-200k kms (or even miles for US bikes!). I've got same k's on mine, and its just run in...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Jun 10th, 2013 at 3:35 am.
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 6:07 am Thread Starter

Thankyou all,
A bike mech has told me not to go near the bike as for issues. He says ST1300 FJR 1300. Although I really love the lt, your advise is great thank you.
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 6:27 am
cws

Garage

Hi Ben. Has the bike mech inspected the bike, or is he just making a generalised comment about LT's? It's an interesting comment given you've said the bike has no service history available.
Any bike can have issues, the FJR and ST would be completely different rides to the LT.
Do you have a history with those brands, as you said you've had beemers previously.
End of day it's about the style of riding you want to do, and your own comfort level with the bike and its ongoing maintenance.
Good luck whichever way you go.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 8 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 6:29 am

Ah well, there goes the tech session with a sleep over. Good luck with whatever you buy
I rode a Kawasaki Ninja ZX14 today - whoa! What a bike!

Regards
Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 3:31 am Thread Starter

This all great advise. I have not as yet purchased the K1200lt. Will know more this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in