Beryl Beemer has new heart starter (battery) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 28th, 2013, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Cool Beryl Beemer has new heart starter (battery)

HI Chris,
Hmmmmm I think we have had this conversation before about the merits of your $400 BMW battery and my $60 impersonator.

Winter is fast approaching here in Oz, Beryl only just got going yesterday morning even after being on a battery charger a couple of nights previously......maybe the caffeine wasn't strong enough....more Red Bull......

Yes got Beryl's new pacemaker yesterday afternoon. Spoke to Dean at Alco batteries in Granville (9637 1544 and 4722 2588). Dominic who served me almost 3 years ago has now been seconded to head office, .....dunno if that is good or bad.

Dean quoted me $60 for an improved Ritar battery to what I had last. The previous one was a 12v 20amphour model, for $60. This new one is a 12v 22amphour version for what he said $60.

He also has 12v 18amphour units at around $35.

phhhhhhhhhhhhhhh such expense compared to Mr BMW.

ok, come off (wooops maybe change that terminology to "veer off") the M4 at the Parramatta exit, around the backwoods to Alco batteries, sorta showery weather ($#@% grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).

Maybe Dean liked the talk, or the being a regular customer but sold me the 22amphour one for $50. Ha! how good is that, say three years use = $17/year. At $400 for a BMW version that equates to about 23.5 years worth........nahhhhhhhhhhhhh may not make that?????

At that cost, again I was tempted to buy a 2nd unit, dunno what for but hey at $50 each?? Dean still has a number is stock. Some other Alco places may have to order in.

Just about to get on Beryl to leave when this tall guy in a fluoro hi viz vest came up to me....Ha! well whatya know, it was my 2nd eldest son, who was working fitting out/clearing the warehouse building right next door. How strange....just as well the girlfriend was not on the back....you never know when someone will see you hahhahahahahahh

Hey Chris maybe I can do a deal here, you seem to like having too much money maybe I could sell you a 22amphour unit for hmmmmmmmm $200????

Did you want me to go back and get one for you?

Cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 29th, 2013, 1:49 am
cws

Garage
Re: Beryl Beemer has new heart starter (battery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
HI Chris,
Hmmmmm I think we have had this conversation before about the merits of your $400 BMW battery and my $60 impersonator.

Did you want me to go back and get one for you?

Cheers
Skiver!!! lol
Just keeping it for reference Phil... I'll probably forget again though . Last time I was stranded mid-ride to work and didn't know what the problem was... and had to had to get hauled off to... my favourite (NOT) dealer.
Hopefully good for another couple of years yet. But since I'm doing all my own work now, it'll be the less expensive battery next time.

What "type" of batteries are these $60... oh, $50 dollar ones? AGM or GEL...
Got a model number? I found the Ritar pamphlet link at the Alco batteries website

From another site....
"AGM Batteries outsell Gel Cell by at least a 100 to 1. AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required. In most cases recharge can be accomplished by using a good quality standard battery charger or engine alternator. The life expectancy; measured as cycle life or years remains excellent in most AGM batteries if the batteries are not discharged more than 60% between recharge. There are some AGM batteries we sell that offer excellent 80%+ deep cycle abilities.

Gel Cell Batteries
are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed."

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 3 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 12:33 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: Beryl Beemer has new heart starter (battery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Skiver!!! lol
Just keeping it for reference Phil... I'll probably forget again though . Last time I was stranded mid-ride to work and didn't know what the problem was... and had to had to get hauled off to... my favourite (NOT) dealer.
Hopefully good for another couple of years yet. But since I'm doing all my own work now, it'll be the less expensive battery next time.

What "type" of batteries are these $60... oh, $50 dollar ones? AGM or GEL...
Got a model number? <snip>

From another site....
"AGM Batteries outsell Gel Cell by at least a 100 to 1. AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required. In most cases recharge can be accomplished by using a good quality standard battery charger or engine alternator. The life expectancy; measured as cycle life or years remains excellent in most AGM batteries if the batteries are not discharged more than 60% between recharge. There are some AGM batteries we sell that offer excellent 80%+ deep cycle abilities.

Gel Cell Batteries
are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed."
Hi Chris, neither Gel or AGM but the run of the mill VRLA.
Yes I agree not too hi tech as far as batteries go, but, lasted over three years, never topped up with water, and equated to say $20/year in "battery fees".

As you stated with Gell type battery
a) "must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed."....hmmmmm nahhhhh don't want/need a special regulator fitted to Beryl Beemer........

b) "premature failure"...hmmmm nahhhhhhh I am quite happy with 3.5 years of use, where Beryl is normally used 6 days a week,

c) AGM batteries outsell Gel by 100:1. Is your BMW battery AGM or Gel? I would expect for $400 that it is gold plated Gel with a 20 year guarenteed warranty or full refund.

Yes I would like to have a battery that lasts 20 years, (which is what your $400 version must last for to equate the same cost benefit as my VRLA counterpart), as opposed to the "throw away" society version. My superbike (at the time) Yammy XS1100E I bought new in 1978 had a wet cell battery that the first one lasted about 9 years, wow, that was a good battery, but the hassle of topping up water, cleaning terminal posts every couple of months was a bit over the top. I had that bike on the road for 21 years, that is until I swapped bikes with my police pursuit neighbour and rode his K11LT ex police bike. Doh! that was the end of the Yammy and the beginning of my spending.....errr BMW K1200LT chapter, back in 1999.....but I digress here.

Yes for say $17/year in battery fees I will stick with the oldie but goodie VRLA battery, now somewhat refined from the 1978 versions as cannot remember cleaning the terminals or adding water during the last 3.5 years, so got rid of that chore.

Have attached the cardboard case the Alco battery came in should others wish to save their $$.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	38694  

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in